RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I what to say this without starting a a big debate or fire

Needs to be said ...this Domestic violence murder happens far too much in this country ...last year I think it was in Tasmania it happened, cairns mum at Xmas time ......

I see bad people sometimes and sometimes they are psychotic in their behaviours ...they can be fine one minute and just unstable the next

The brain is an organ that controls what we do and how we are ......some peoples brains don't work as well as others ...it's not excuse by the way but there are reasons why this happens.

Some of these people I see in my counselling role are ticking time bombs ....but there is no where for them to go and families struggle to cope .....often ice using also but it's the mental health issue that drives the ice use (mostly)

It's just so darn complex ....I drive home after seeing my clients and my head spins think what the f...k have we got on our hands here ....I have the odd sleepless night worrying about people as in what they might do or do something to themselves

On a positive if there is one at all ...the AFL AND PLAYERS have shown great class and humility in this crisis which is personal for them and us,

Let's hope communities when confronted with with similar scenarios in the future can do the same somehow.

Was told by a high ranking policeman that the son was on ice and he did hug his mum before stabbing Walshy while he slept.

Saw this on Twitter. Love it.

CJJPN8UVEAEBJcY.jpg:large

i didn't want to speculate before-hand but that's what i assumed happened. given what i'm hearing about walsh he sounds like as strong and fit 55 year old as you would find. couldn't see that punk kid overpowering him in an altercation.

If his son was in fact on meth, then there is pretty much nothing that could have been done to stop him. Again, I hate to speculate on such a sensitive situation but from what I've seen in the past he unfortunately wouldn't have stood a chance regardless.

It's sad, and if ice is a factor I really hope the right people open their eyes and dedicate more resources to curbing its influence.

Not all alleged murderers end up in a mental hospital for the criminally insane pretty much straight up.

I think that sums up his mental state.
Yeah I would dare say that for about 36 hours after the murder he might be a little out of it and as the days wear on and he realizes what he has done he might even be suicidal hence why has been moved to maximum security to stop him doing that.

This is so sad...I still can not believe it.

I'm sorry if the kid had mental health issues, I'm sorry if he was drunk or on ice...but none of that is an excuse for this despicable act.

I'm sure there would of been hundreds of thousands of kids in Australia that took drugs this weekend that didn't stab their dad to death while they slept.

I feel so sad for the Mother and daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with them. The son..fk him.

I can forgive for anything..but taking another person's life is where I draw the line. Ice is no god dam excuse.

Was told by a high ranking policeman that the son was on ice.

This is a bit of urban myth ....most people on ice aren't too bad ....

It's when they are coming down when rages and anger happens after a big bender on ice ....say two or three days worth then no sleep for say two days

That's when the brain has no dopamine left to make you feel good .....

There would be people on ice and you might not pick it at all but trust me when someone is coming down or hasn't slept for two days you'll see it clear as day ...scratching thief skin, irritable ....making no sense, paranoia, anger and delusional thoughts and slurring

Armed robberies occur mostly in the come down phase ....not when high ....when they we high they are generally happy as the drug is doing what they want .....surging massive amounts of dopamine in this brain

Ok I want to say that there is no evidence to suggest Cy was on ice ....I just wanted to highlight the difference between a high and come down phase

Come down phase is far more problematic because what it does to brain .....scary.

This is so sad...I still can not believe it.

I'm sorry if the kid had mental health issues, I'm sorry if he was drunk or on ice...but none of that is an excuse for this despicable act.

I'm sure there would of been hundreds of thousands of kids in Australia that took drugs this weekend that didn't stab their dad to death while they slept.

I feel so sad for the Mother and daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with them. The son..fk him.

I can forgive for anything..but taking another person's life is where I draw the line. Ice is no god dam excuse.

Agee to some point .....I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and it's not an excuse ....maybe it explains the why to some degree

I feel for the wife ...she has lost her husband and to a degree lost her son.

Ice doesn't make you a killer but it might cause someone to become psychotic and when in highly psychotic phase they can kill someone ......see the difference? Again like I,said before the come down phase after ice benders worry me more than when someone is high on ice ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit of urban myth ....most people on ice aren't too bad ....

It's when they are coming down when rages and anger happens after a big bender on ice ....say two or three days worth then no sleep for say two days

That's when the brain has no dopamine left to make you feel good .....

There would be people on ice and you might not pick it at all but trust me when someone is coming down or hasn't slept for two days you'll see it clear as day ...scratching thief skin, irritable ....making no sense, paranoia, anger and delusional thoughts and slurring

Armed robberies occur mostly in the come down phase ....not when high ....when they we high they are generally happy as the drug is doing what they want .....surging massive amounts of dopamine in this brain

Ok I want to say that there is no evidence to suggest Cy was on ice ....I just wanted to highlight the difference between a high and come down phase

Come down phase is far more problematic because what it does to brain .....scary.
I agree with you, when you're high it's happy days but that come down stage is not such a happy stage.

The evidence that he was on ice may not have been released as yet, but won't be long before it does.

I was recently talking with at johns ambulance offices who pick up kids on ice ....it's the come down phase again

People,on ice will stay up for nights on end ....barely eat and consume other drugs .....it's all fine for two nights ....then they run out ....then the come down begins.

The term meth fuelled rage isn't accurate ...just sounds good for media

The term meth come down rage is what it should be reported as

If his son was in fact on meth, then there is pretty much nothing that could have been done to stop him. Again, I hate to speculate on such a sensitive situation but from what I've seen in the past he unfortunately wouldn't have stood a chance regardless.

It's sad, and if ice is a factor I really hope the right people open their eyes and dedicate more resources to curbing its influence.

I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and man we are under resourced and undermanned ......

We are playing an opposition in footy parlance that's belting us ...police can't arrest there way out of this either

We have waiting lists for clients now .....my case loads are bloody massive, staff turnover is huge and it's a stressful job ......and lol underpaid in the non Govt sector

I loath Monday mornings as the phone just lights up like Xmas tree .....I visit people in homes, streets and community - hospitals. We do a great job conserving our funding and how many people we have in our team

Thankfully I handle the stress well ...exercise like long kayaks and bike riding and awesome family support

Being do it for four years but the last six months has been challenging. It's just complex working with clients that are not in a good way ......of they come in that's an achievement. Some I see while driving around ....I will literally toot the horn and they see me ....they jump in and we chat ....go get them food and get them home

On that way how we might chat .....it's counselling, mentoring and support all,rolled into one program and its outreach. The meth they use is high purity ....it frys your brain

We have some sucsess stories also .....and some tragedies too

Just got to stick fat really. I have strong views on what we need to do but not going to post here.

I took one local politician out about a year ago on my daily run .....he was blown away and he's campaigned for extra funding ....no luck

You see what we are up against is red necks who simply say ....oh well they choose to use they should suffer ......

Well the problem is we as a community suffer also ....when they steal your car or rob you, police are saying the can't keep up and we can't arrest our way out of this mess.

Lol it's why I come to big footy and chill out ......so I'm done talking on this one...:)

m2BagBE.png
20,000 at Adelaide oval. (picture found on reddit)

So many great photos floating around from yesterday.

It was surreal. The silence. The siren. People arm-in-arm in tribute. 20,000 people who came to the footy knowing there was no game. A sea of red, blue and gold ... and also teal, North's royal blue, Geelong's stripes, Collingwood's black ...

I heard so many people said "it's great that the weather was good for this." No it wasn't. The weather was perfect for footy. That just added another chapter to the tragedy.

I said to a Geelong fan out on the Oval that I thought the worse thing I'd be doing this weekend is analysing the body language of Danger and Selwood chatting after the siren, to see if there was anything there that said he was staying or going. I was wrong.

I was at the Saints-Bombers game yesterday. Took my son (3 years old) with my best mate and his son (also 3yo) to their first games with their Dads. Obviously we loved that the game was such a great win for us, but a quick shout out to the players and supporters of both teams. In particular, hardly any Bombers' fans left early, and there were no boos as their team went off the pitch.

The minute's silence at the end was incredibly poignant. I hugged my son tight and me and my mate both had tears in our eyes. I was remembering having first been taken to the football by my own father 35 years, and hearing the stories he told me of going to the Hibs back in Scotland, with his father (my grandfather) in the 1950s. I reminisced about the amazing father-son bonds that football (of all codes) engenders.

And then I pondered on the tragedy of what happened with Walshy and his son and could only hug my son even tighter.

The last word to my son... "They're all holding hands in a circle, Daddy."

RIP Phil Walsh.

I took a differmet tack with my ten and Eight year old sons

They watch games with me and were asking what it was all about, the minutes silence and the circles

I explained the coach had died on Friday and people were really sad and wanted to show to the family of PHIL they loved him and it helped people overcome sadness

So my son asked how he died ......?

After a brief pause I said his son did something when he was really angry and he died ....it was the best age appropriate way of explaining

My ten year old said wow it's great all those people loved him ....I said yeah

I said the world is loving place actually and we need to learn to love more and not just when people die, but when they are alive ....

I used the opputunity to teach my children about love and what it really means .....I also explained that we are not alone and if we are having battles to tell someone about it and don't keep it in and when we are sad we can share that too and people will stand by you just like they did for PHIL Walsh

That arvo my two boys clearly affected by the chat came up to me with a card after they had told mum ....the card just said "we love and your a great dad" ...I'm also a very busy guy and spend large amounts of time away from family travelling in car for my job ".......it was a touching moment

Today I'm reflecting on how I can be better dad and I would like you big footy members to do the same ......if you don't have kids reflect on how you could be closer to your dad if you know him or closer to anyone in your family

From tragdey I'm trying to use it in my family as something that can be turned into resilience

In every tragdey we can learn something that can help us ...yes mourn as we all have done and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks we can learn from it.....

Have a great day everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back