Positives and negatives vs Melbourne

No sir you were not. Kid never closes his goddamn mouth! It's super strange.

It's like when you cop a knock to the jaw and you kinda make yawning movements to stretch it out - he's seems to be always doing that. Weirdo.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Umm wtf am I reading this right??

"Melbourne had drawn within 12 points midway through the third quarter and messed up some chances (or was unfortunate not to draw a free kick at times inside 50 in the third quarter depending on your outlook) that would have enabled it to really challenge the Eagles."

From article on afl website

I couldn't believe this either. Supposedly unbiased report? I mean to complain about the umpiring when there were so many free kicks missed - especially when the Melbourne player kicked it deliberately out of bounds and not only did the umpire not award a free kick but from the boundary throw in Melbourne got a goal.

The commentary was simply appalling and borderline unprofessional. I think most Victorians are so stupid that they can't understand it is a national game and if it wasn't for all the non-Victorian teams, their VFL would be a minor competition and struggling to stay afloat.

Apex Predators

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
The players refuse to sign and due to not being shown any faith by the club request a trade elsewhere?...
Well, if we are truly going to analyse my tongue in cheek comment, in addition to your point ...
  1. List management becomes a nightmare. Have a good year and every one wants overs, and we can't afford them all ... Have a bad year and the team still gets paid a certain percentage of the salary cap, creating unrealistic expectations of value when the next good year comes around again.
  2. Injuries wreck a players performance (similar to the situation with Wellingham first season with us). It is unrealistic to value a player on the one year alone.
  3. Logistically managing contract negotiations with 35-40 players each year would be a nightmare. Would be hard enough with 15-20 (or whatever the case may be in any one year).
  4. While some players no doubt step up in light of needing a new contract, many players may also find it weighs them down. The frailty of the human psyche means that one size does not fit all.
That said, does anyone know what the status of Wellingham's contract is?

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Well, if we are truly going to analyse my tongue in cheek comment, in addition to your point ...
  1. List management becomes a nightmare. Have a good year and every one wants overs, and we can't afford them all ... Have a bad year and the team still gets paid a certain percentage of the salary cap, creating unrealistic expectations of value when the next good year comes around again.
  2. Injuries wreck a players performance (similar to the situation with Wellingham first season with us). It is unrealistic to value a player on the one year alone.
  3. Logistically managing contract negotiations with 35-40 players each year would be a nightmare. Would be hard enough with 15-20 (or whatever the case may be in any one year).
  4. While some players no doubt step up in light of needing a new contract, many players may also find it weighs them down. The frailty of the human psyche means that one size does not fit all.
That said, does anyone know what the status of Wellingham's contract is?
He is in uis final year of a 3 year contract. Simpson stated on an interview that he liked the idea of giving hom a 1 year contract as hr had responded well to it this year. Suggest there was tongue in cheek about t he response. He said it probably suited Hill as well.

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
We will need him I think come finals time when the intensity lifts .....plus if he gets game fit and we have Duggan and rosa in same place ....as in match fit then we have choices ...

We need to trust the match committee and coaching staff ...we are 9-3 ...I think they know what they are doing

10-3 :D:D

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I couldn't believe this either. Supposedly unbiased report? I mean to complain about the umpiring when there were so many free kicks missed - especially when the Melbourne player kicked it deliberately out of bounds and not only did the umpire not award a free kick but from the boundary throw in Melbourne got a goal.

The commentary was simply appalling and borderline unprofessional. I think most Victorians are so stupid that they can't understand it is a national game and if it wasn't for all the non-Victorian teams, their VFL would be a minor competition and struggling to stay afloat.

on the mainboard, I laugh how regularly some absolute plonker from a vic minnow club releases an explosive verbal diarhoea of a comment that goes something like

"without us the football tv rights would be worth heaps less because we are from victoria and as such are automatically defaulted as the hub of the universe"

despite the fact that they get 12 k to home games and 5/5ths of * all people watching them on the box

Vic self delusion knows no bounds

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
+ + Welcome back Jack
The back 6 have been amazing supporting each other
Great to win coming off the bye
the Teams ability to Win on the road
Duggan will be some player

-- I will add Sinclair who is showing a lot of energy but sometimes he needs to play smarter in regards to bringing his opponent to some contests when maybe he should just block or stay within his structures .

DohjDuckDipDive

Debutant
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Positive
In Simpson's interview - he went on record to say that Scooter had been off and it was a drop to sub for poor performance

This! Makes me a lot more confident that Simmo will drop him if he keeps failing. And after that performance as sub, with so many solid players available, you'd think he's run out of chances.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
It will be a close call with the Rising Star this week. Membrey or Sheed?

upload_2015-7-5_17-51-45.png

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
This! Makes me a lot more confident that Simmo will drop him if he keeps failing. And after that performance as sub, with so many solid players available, you'd think he's run out of chances.

That goes for others as well.

What it shows is that we have much better depth and the coach doesn't take notice of reputations and your last name.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Darwin rolled out the welcome mat big time for the Eagles. The crowd were 75% behind the Eagles, after the first goal and every one after the EAGLES......EAGLES.....chant went up.:D:thumbsu:

When the Demons scored it was like clap...........clap.......(pin drop).......clap.

The oval was in perfect condition, conditions were described as perfect and not slippery at all. About 27 degrees at the start of the game and 18 degrees over night.

Darwin loved the Eagles being here as did I. Hope we see them again next year.:):)

Woutizmoo

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Umm wtf am I reading this right??

"Melbourne had drawn within 12 points midway through the third quarter and messed up some chances (or was unfortunate not to draw a free kick at times inside 50 in the third quarter depending on your outlook) that would have enabled it to really challenge the Eagles."

From article on afl website

Yeh this was terrible, but 2 things to note
- the AFL can't sell failure and spread negativity, and they get a lot more bang for their buck writing good things about the vic teams.
- WCE media is just as bad - e.g. when we got belted by Freo but 'looked promising after winning the 2nd half when Freo went into preservation mode'

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The game still looked a little slippery to me. Not as bad as I've seen it obviously, but the conditions were not perfect.

Scooter wasn't horrible as the sub, which surprised me. When he first came on he had a couple of horrendous kicks but after that settled in nicely and even did some nice things. He doesn't deserve to get dropped on this weeks performance alone. Now having said that, do I think he is in our long term future. Nope!

ndot

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer
postives
- JD hasn't missed a beat. with him in the side, we undeniably have the best forward line in the comp
- gaff, masten & sheed are becoming reliable players :eek:
- sheppard is playing out of his skin. wellingham too to a lesser extent
- very few weak links in our team at the moment

negatives
- lecras was putrid
- yeo's form has tapered, maybe we all blew our load over him a bit prematurely
- NN still cant mark. although he did manage to hang on to that one clanger from the melbourne spud
- JD misses easy set shots too often. could cost us in a big game

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

For the vic market. I like to go under the radar so we should not complain.

The reality is that at that point in the 3rd Nic hammered it for five minutes and we won the game by kicking a few goals. he was rested for most of the last qtr.

I don't walk away from that game overly happy - felt like we were out hunted and out worked at the contested ball.

The score looks good because we were efficient as hell going inside 50 - however some of our frailties got shown up IMO

Hopefully the early goals in the last meant we didn't completely exhaust ourselves for the game and can back up ok against Adelaide

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't walk away from that game overly happy - felt like we were out hunted and out worked at the contested ball.

The score looks good because we were efficient as hell going inside 50 - however some of our frailties got shown up IMO

Hopefully the early goals in the last meant we didn't completely exhaust ourselves for the game and can back up ok against Adelaide

wasn't our conversion so horrible it kept them in the game?

Back