Society/Culture Feminism part 1 - continued in part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, highlighting the looniest of the loony fringe of feminism is something akin to a straw man argument.

On the other hand, I'm reluctant to call myself a feminist because I have learned from experience that, if I do, I'll be accused of having attitudes and opinions in common with the evil screaming trolls featured in these videos.

Well, highlighting the looniest of the loony fringe of feminism is something akin to a straw man argument.

On the other hand, I'm reluctant to call myself a feminist because I have learned from experience that, if I do, I'll be accused of having attitudes and opinions in common with the evil screaming trolls featured in these videos.

This comment of yours is known as the NAFALT deflection. Such has been discussed numerous times throughout feminism related threads on this board.

All of the sophistry suggesting only fringe loons are being cited as examples of feminist negativity. Come off it.. Those ARE the 3rd wave of feminism. The ones writing the books, the blogs and recruiting young women these days. The activist arm, out there picketing the same way all social movements do. They are the ones;

1) Making all feminism look worse than even second wave did, more open male slander
2) Being puppets to the marxist agenda that is feminism has been co-oped to today
3) Striving for militant changes to society through social shaming/bullying tactics
4) Calling all boys and men women might encounter potential rapists -- using disingenuous statistics from womens groups like 1/4 women get raped.

Any passive feminist sitting at home, trying to suggest these majority of visible socially relevant feminists of today are meaningless people not doing anything, just look at Anita Sarkeesian and her ilk and how they almost get away with being credible in society. If not for the constant exposing of their credibilty she and like would still be gaining traction on the 3rd wave crusading. The good fight is being waged.

Passive feminists resting on your laurels of 'enlightenment' to the issues, spouting dictionary definition and saying "women face hardships still, you cant deny the power men still hold". You are doing nothing for feminism at this point and in fact hurting it by allowing for your so-called "fringe loons" to dictate how feminism is viewed by society. Why not attack those 'extremists'? Why not call them on their s**t?

I assume you think the ends justify the means. Good message for all our daughters. Scream at men for what you "deserve", call them scum even after they give you the outcomes you want manufactured. :)

Feminist Myth - Wage Gap explained by economist

Cornell Uni research into hiring bias

Another Feminist Lie Shattered by Academics. Infact the study demonstrated that women benefit from FEMALE PRIVILEGE

Wendy M. Williams and Stephen J. Ceci, professors at Cornell University, discuss their national study of STEM faculty hiring preferences which revealed a 2:1 preference for hiring women over identically-qualified men. The authors describe the background, methods, and results, focusing on societal implications of pro-female hiring goals.

I choose to work part time as my wife earns good money and we both want a parent there for the children before and after school. Also, my work is reasonably flexible which allows me to look after my children on sick days and holidays. Does this mean my low income is the result of sexism? :)

I choose to work part time as my wife earns good money and we both want a parent there for the children before and after school. Also, my work is reasonably flexible which allows me to look after my children on sick days and holidays. Does this mean my low income is the result of sexism? :)
Yes yes it does. Based on this lifestyle choice of yours the entire male gender should have their super doubled.

If, God forbid, your wife leaves you in 20 years time. Where does that leave you?

Will you have enough super to survive retirement? Will you have to work for longer than you planned?

This doesn't need to be the usual woman hating discussion. Super is a serious concern for male and female stay at home parents.

If, God forbid, your wife leaves you in 20 years time. Where does that leave you?

Will you have enough super to survive retirement? Will you have to work for longer than you planned?

This doesn't need to be the usual woman hating discussion. Super is a serious concern for male and female stay at home parents.
If only there was some sort of legal contract which would entitle a stay at home parent to a proportion of the family units total earnings should they divorce.

Typical feminists doing their feminist best for the feminist cause: feat. Heinz Toronto's Big Red keg.

How to Spot a Feminist

These feminists are at the extreme end of the scale, and don't represent every feminist. Its pretty shitty behavior, and these feminists are quite self-entitled. The problem with feminism and I've said it before, is that it creates an us vs them attitude, and there are so many people with distorted views on what equality really means. Until feminism is universally understood it will continue to lead to masses of extremest and off center feminists.

I'll consider myself an egalitarian, who supports addressing any issue that relates to a situation of inequality from: race; culture; gender; sexuality or any other situation. This approach offers an unbiased approach to equality without favoring any one party like feminism does. Like I said; feminists will not sit around a table and discuss child custody equality.

These feminists are at the extreme end of the scale, and don't represent every feminist. Its pretty shitty behavior, and these feminists are quite self-entitled. The problem with feminism and I've said it before, is that it creates an us vs them attitude, and there are so many people with distorted views on what equality really means. Until feminism is universally understood it will continue to lead to masses of extremest and off center feminists.

I'll consider myself an egalitarian, who supports addressing any issue that relates to a situation of inequality from: race; culture; gender; sexuality or any other situation. This approach offers an unbiased approach to equality without favoring any one party like feminism does. Like I said; feminists will not sit around a table and discuss child custody equality.
Good post, but then you slipped back into feminism being a be all end all view point.

Being a feminist doesn't mean you cannot also support equality for men, children, animals, environment et al.

Being an extremist means that you can't, because they are nutters and don't understand how the world actually works. (Not that any of us really do).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post, but then you slipped back into feminism being a be all end all view point.

Being a feminist doesn't mean you cannot also support equality for men, children, animals, environment et al.

Being an extremist means that you can't, because they are nutters and don't understand how the world actually works. (Not that any of us really do).
I feel like you keep misunderstanding my point; that the us vs them attitude is overwhelming within feminism circles preventing actual equality across the board. I can't see why feminism exists if egalitarianism is more universally understood. Quite obviously many many feminists don't understand equality.

I feel like you keep misunderstanding my point; that the us vs them attitude is overwhelming within feminism circles preventing actual equality across the board. I can't see why feminism exists if egalitarianism is more universally understood. Quite obviously many many feminists don't understand equality.
Feminism isn't about a woman being better than a man, it's about being equal to a man.

Sure, plenty of dickheads take it too far. And because of them, most people relate feminism to hairy armpit nutters, demanding the world without wanting to work for it.

But feminism isn't about taking away from men, it's about becoming equal to men.

Thats their decision though. Thats the point. I think most equalists and generally moral people realise that people have free choice.

Just because one portion of the female population believe all women should be high paid corporate types and that the only reason they arent is because of the patriachy indoctrinating them with Barbies and TV as children into wanting to be nurses and teachers and stay at home parents. That doesnt mean that you should punish men, through hiring quota policies and programmes designed to elevate women over their male peers.

Free choice exists and if anyone men or women want to stay at home or be nirses or age care workers or volunteers or anything at all. They should be allowed to. And others should worry about themselves.

The point that some posters are making here and I tend to sway towards that viewpoint as well is that you cannot sepparate the extrimist feminists from the traditional or "dictionary" egalatarian arm. When it is the extremists posting on the blogs, organising the rallies and writing articles then by extension all people who claim to be feminists flow from that.

Instead of calling themselves feminists they should call thesmevles egalatarians if they truly feel that way. But i think most call themselves feminists because they also dont mind throwing the occasional "all men are pigs" up on facey or muttering it under their breath when they get scorned.

But do you use the same standard in other circumstances? If someone considers themselves an aboriginal rights activist, is that fundamentally demeaning the fight against islamophobia for example? And should such a person feel obliged to campaign against instances of racism perpetuated by aboriginal people towards whites with the same fervour? Just because the title has aboriginal in it does not imply that anyone wants any special rights or anything other than equality, same goes with feminism. It's just an admission that one group, by and large bares the brunt of an unequal society and steps should be taken to rectify that. I know some people behind keyboards can be quite vitriolic and tribal, but trust me, if you talk in real life to a feminist about something like the lesser status of fatherhood, in the vast majority of cases they will be sympathetic and take it in. As long as you aren't bringing it up combatively in response to a statement regarding female oriented sexism.

But i think most call themselves feminists because they also dont mind throwing the occasional "all men are pigs" up on facey or muttering it under their breath when they get scorned.
Do you see what you've done there?

Just because idiot's take up the name of feminism, and act on it. Doesn't change the inherent meaning of feminism.

People can think that feminism is all about hating men and all the other stuff you say, but it doesn't change what feminism actually is.

And the reason I defend feminism, is because, as evidenced in this thread, extreme anti-feminists conflate being female with being a feminist.
And they actually hate women, but jump on the anti-feminism bandwagon to hide their sexism.

Do you see what you've done there?

Just because idiot's take up the name of feminism, and act on it. Doesn't change the inherent meaning of feminism.

People can think that feminism is all about hating men and all the other stuff you say, but it doesn't change what feminism actually is.

And the reason I defend feminism, is because, as evidenced in this thread, extreme anti-feminists conflate being female with being a feminist.
And they actually hate women, but jump on the anti-feminism bandwagon to hide their sexism.
Obviously i "see what ive done" i explained it to you.
We disagree on the outcome of that logical exercise though. You think you cant judge the flock by the loudest birds and I think you have to.

I mean one of us is following better logic. But everyone is allowed their own opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back