Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
just had a listen to Hird and Jobe. What were you referring to with the white flag comment?. All sounded like fluff to me.

Could tell Heppell was angry but he still just went with fluff.

Modern footballers are so trained they don't even think about it. It's just cliche after cliche after cliche.

"WADAs obviously have an effect but not when it comes to effort, intent, they're not negotiable"

WTF? WADA is a head*, surely effort and intent are the one thing that it DOES affect.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I just noticed on the side banner all the premierships you've won. Pretty cool feature.
Yeh. Well, we won't be adding to that for a while.

Mark Harvey should be given a try.

sm6niYZ.gif

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Some saying Hird should be sacked before the end of the season. With all the question marks over our credibility and integrity of our club over the last 2 or 3 years lets at least honour Hird's contract. Come on.

Some saying Hird should be sacked before the end of the season. With all the question marks over our credibility and integrity of our club over the last 2 or 3 years lets at least honour Hird's contract. Come on.

I'm all for Hird seeing out the end of this year but we cannot afford to ride out '16 as well.

I'll put it this way: Carlton will have so much intel as a result of Barker's tenure as opposed to if they'd just let Malthouse see out the year.

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
The players are clearly playing for nobody, not their coach, not their captain, not their fans. Until one of those things changes we're going to loose every game by 100 points.

Bombers_95

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Hird won't be sacked this week unfortunately, if we get smashed by Melbourne which we will, I fully expect Hird to be sacked before that Monday.
I agree. I believe Hird is on the last straw. One more bad loss and he will be out the door. Melbourne game very important to his coaching future

Matthew_Lloyd

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
He had us on the right track before this whole shitstorm started. We played a good, contested style of footy and ran in waves both offensively and defensively for the first half of 2012 and most of 2013 (up until the three mcdipshits Vlad, Gill the dill and Fitzpatrick made it known that we weren't going to play finals). I remember the Dreamtime game against Richmond in 2013, that was probably the best game I've seen us play over the past few years. We completely took them apart, iirc we lead by 50 or so points before they kicked a few late ones.

However, it has become obvious that the players and himself are completely done. He is being outcoached weekly, and cannot inspire the players. We need a new coach and a breath of fresh air, however, any new coach coming in will not know the fate of the players until Christmas at the very least. I love Hirdy and will cherish all the memories he brought us, but it is obvious that the club needs a new start

There's nothing to be gained at all.

• It removes the last non-player vestige of this drama that has encompassed the club.
  • It demonstrates the club's willingness to look to the future, i.e. what an actual 21st century incarnation of the EFC might look like, and remove a media target. You can't argue that the WADA thing and the media scrutiny on the players and the club has affected everyone and then say that there's nothing to be gained by removing the headline act of the story. Again, this may not be "fair" to Hird but it is the way of things - to think otherwise is delusion.
  • It is motivated purely by an intolerance for mediocrity, which is how clubs change. It is also holding accountable someone who has unquestionably, indefensibly failed in his job. Blaming the list management in its entirety is yet another installment in the litany of excuses in the argument for why James Hird is a good coach and supposedly our next premiership coach (!) - you have the list that you've got at the start of the year, you build a game plan to fit the list, you don't have a preconceived notion of how you're going to play and then try and jam the list into that, you're not going to get overly far and from memory, coaches haven't had much success going down that path. The plan comes from what you have if you're a good coach. The selection choices and in-game moves betray, again, a delusional attempt to cling onto the 2015 campaign. It is lily-livered hedging that will benefit us very little in the long run.

Our season is over, Hird's career beyond this is on the line over the next two weeks however.

One week down and the verdict so far is... comfortably satisfied he is not the man for the job.

Would pay him out, install Bassett while conducting a comprehensive search for the best candidate using similar criteria to that proposed by Lord Nicholson

One week down and the verdict so far is... comfortably satisfied he is not the man for the job.

Would pay him out, install Bassett while conducting a comprehensive search for the best candidate using similar criteria to that proposed by Lord Nicholson
No coach worth having would be willing to come to this club whilst the supplement rubbish remains unresolved. Anything other than staying the course is pointless until then.

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Here's what Hardwick was saying after they lost to Melbourne by 32 points:

"At the end of the day, a performance like that indicates we're not tough enough.
"We're better than that bloody performance."
"To put up that second-half performance when you don't hunt the ball, the side looks stronger than you over the contest – we were fumbling and bumbling away – you're never going to win a footy game,"
"It was as poor an effort as I've seen from our footy club in a long time. Really poor.
"We were disappointing in an area we're normally good at. Contested ball is normally a foundation block of our footy club.
"Tonight we didn't come to play. We weren't tough enough, the opposition out-hunted us, outmuscled us.
"We played insipid footy, plain and simple."

Here's what Hird said after a 110 point loss to St. Kilda:

"Our effort and intensity was poor and they beat us around the contest and got their confidence going.
"That's concerning for me as the coach that there wasn't that effort there, and it's concerning for our group and concerning for our club and our supporters."
"Really, I think when you play as badly as we played, or you didn’t perform, you have to go back to one simple principle and that's hard work," Hird said.
"You've got to work as hard as you can, focus on the central part of your game and get that right first. It all stems from stoppages and clearances and getting that right.
"We got out-spread, we didn't use the ball well, we didn't defend them properly but essentially the game starts at the stoppage and around the contest and we got absolutely smashed in that area."

You'd expect the two to be said in the opposite result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back