What now for Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

There were rumours years ago that opposition supporters 'posed' as Richmond supporters on radio and claimed they did that to their memberships. I wouldn't be surprised if some smart arse did the same with the Essendon photos. Ultimately, why would anyone burn a membership when someone else could make some use of it. Illogical.

It's pissing money down the train it's dumb.

Wada Players who played today - 9
Stanton, Watson, Heppell, Hurley, Howlett, Hooker, Melksham, Hibberd, Steinberg

Leaves 13 'clean' players who played today who have no excuse. Goddard has carried too much of a burden in all of this. He should quit AFL 360 after this week and get back to footy.

Only 17 players on the Essendon list under investigation. Fletcher should retire. Pears, Steinberg and Howlett should be delisted. Don't know much about how Alex Browne is tracking. Melksham, Carlisle and Bellchambers must be trade options. There's an opportunity for Essendon to get the number of players under investigation down to under 10 by the end of this season.

In the mean time. Do what you can to wean them and their negativity out of the team. Heppell, Hurley and Hooker are in decent form. They stay. Watson obviously needs a change up as he isn't right. I'd play him at half back on a resting midfielder and let him play the Matty Boyd/Sam Mitchell half back role. Hibberd can stay in, run him through the middle.

Steinberg, Melksham, Howlett and Stanton can all go back to the VFL. Not needed. Plug some kids in.

All of a sudden it's down to 5 players with the weight of the world hanging over their head. 5 of 22 is no excuse to focus on anything but football. It's also flooding the side with kids and energy which has been a huge reason for Carlton's turn around post Mick.
Think Jobe and Stanton may be gone at seasons end.
Totally agree though get the kids in and let them play without the WADA burden. By all reports the VFL side has a lot of fun and the majority are free of the WADA shackles.
Get Fantasia, Browne, Langford, Laverde, Aylett, Edwards, McKenna etc in

1/2 of them were our only good players too
Heppell, Hooker and Hurley are gun players in their prime. They have resilience. The older guys just don't have the fight for it. You have to change their role to find them new enjoyment. Goddard applies here as well as he's been burdened so much. But it's not an excuse. He gave up on St Kilda well before he left and can't do the same at Essendon.

Of course the easiest way to get Essendon back on track is to replace the head coach. Rightly or wrongly it works most of the time at least for a good short term boost.

The other easiest way is to play Melbourne coming back from a Darwin game where we are about 0-7 with an average losing margin around the 10 goal mark.

Heppell, Hooker and Hurley are gun players in their prime. They have resilience. The older guys just don't have the fight for it. You have to change their role to find them new enjoyment. Goddard applies here as well as he's been burdened so much. But it's not an excuse. He gave up on St Kilda well before he left and can't do the same at Essendon.

Of course the easiest way to get Essendon back on track is to replace the head coach. Rightly or wrongly it works most of the time at least for a good short term boost.

The other easiest way is to play Melbourne coming back from a Darwin game where we are about 0-7 with an average losing margin around the 10 goal mark.

In terms of Ladder position upsets wouldn't Essendon playing Melbourne since 2010 be the worst in history?

We have had a good record against them recently (apart from the Neeld game), so ill be very very disappointed if we dont beat them again this year. They are a complete shambles, while we are chugging along pretty good compared to our norm at 3/4s of a shambles.

I simply want our banner to read this week: 'Finish him off'

Win please.

We have had a good record against them recently (apart from the Neeld game), so ill be very very disappointed if we dont beat them again this year. They are a complete shambles, while we are chugging along pretty good compared to our norm at 3/4s of a shambles.

I simply want our banner to read this week: 'Finish him off'

Win please.

I wouldn't get too cocky our cobbled together NAB Challenge team made of top ups beat a full strength Melbourne.

It's pretty simple regarding Hird. Could be said in two points.

1. They don't want to sack a club legend.

2. They don't want to admit all the hard work/money put into this was a failure. It's like you spending 3 years hand making and carving a large dining room table for your house and when it's done, deep down you know it looks bad, others think it looks bad. But you won't say it and you will keep it in the house.

I wouldn't get too cocky our cobbled together NAB Challenge team made of top ups beat a full strength Melbourne.

NAB cup form as a reference point, how cute, you still got your head buried in the sand i see, you know us winning this week would actually be doing you and everyone else a huge favour, but, as you wish:

#standbyhird

Bit of everything. No coincidence that the mood and form changed instantly when WADA appealed. It is fact that several players have withdrawn or asked to be left out of games and plenty aren't coping well at all. Until Hird goes we cant move on
Just getting what they deserve, it's beautiful.

It's pretty simple regarding Hird. Could be said in two points.

1. They don't want to sack a club legend.

2. They don't want to admit all the hard work/money put into this was a failure. It's like you spending 3 years hand making and carving a large dining room table for your house and when it's done, deep down you know it looks bad, others think it looks bad. But you won't say it and you will keep it in the house.

Paul Little is as much a campaigner as the coach. The ego of the man. He resigned Hird when he was suspended.

Cant believe the Essendon members haven't pushed him out the door already. A disgrace that he is still running the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird made the biggest mistake any coach can make.

He gave his players an excuse to play badly.

After the WADA decision to appeal Hird in a press conference said that the drugs saga was weighing heavily on the players and used it as an excuse for a loss.

Bad move.

That is a cancer in a team environment.

Very similar to Malthouse earlier in the year who basically said the players were not good enough to play competitive football.

Strikes an arrow through the heart of the playing group.

Who plays for a coach who thinks they are s**t? Anyone?

Hird says the players are not strong enough to combat WADA fatigue.

BANG.

teams gone.

Same with Malthouse.

Silly thing is that Hird implemented the drug program that is now causing him to complain about how poorly his players are reacting to the fallout from the drug program he implemented.

... and you wonder why the bombers are farked.

R15 2010: Essendon (12th) def by Melbourne (14th) by 16 = -2
R11 2011: Essendon (5th) def by Melbourne (10th) by 33 = -5
R10 2012: Essendon (2nd) def by Melbourne (18th) by 6 = -16
R2 2013: Essendon (3rd) def Melbourne (18th) by 148 = 0 (didn't loose)
R13 2014: Essendon (9th) def by Melbourne (15th) by 1 = -6

Apart from the glaringly obvious crushing of Melbourne, we've lost, by, in 4 games, to a total of a team 29 places on the ladder below us. That's got to be the worst ever.

NAB cup form as a reference point, how cute, you still got your head buried in the sand i see, you know us winning this week would actually be doing you and everyone else a huge favour, but, as you wish:

#standbyhird

I hope your not generalising all Essendon supporters

R15 2010: Essendon (12th) def by Melbourne (14th) by 16 = -2
R11 2011: Essendon (5th) def by Melbourne (10th) by 33 = -5
R10 2012: Essendon (2nd) def by Melbourne (18th) by 6 = -16
R2 2013: Essendon (3rd) def Melbourne (18th) by 148 = 0 (didn't loose)
R13 2014: Essendon (9th) def by Melbourne (15th) by 1 = -6

Apart from the glaringly obvious crushing of Melbourne, we've lost, by, in 4 games, to a total of a team 29 places on the ladder below us. That's got to be the worst ever.

Was just having a laugh.

Have a read of the autopsy thread of today's game.

Na, but im glad to hear you are all starting to make some sense. About a year and half too late but you got there eventually.

I hope your not generalising all Essendon supporters

Na, i sure there are a few of you with a functioning brain that haven't believed/gone along with all the crap coming from Paul Dribble's gob.

Bravo to you if you were one of them.

Surely Robbo will go hard at Hird for the next few weeks? Just as he did with Mick?

Or is it still WADA's fault. Such a brave club :(

Couldn't happen to a better bunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back