Phantom Draft Lemming's Top 50/ Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Originally I planned on updating this thread constantly after each set of championship games and then reality kicked in with a new born baby. Then I planned on waiting until we've completed the BF Phantom Draft but I wanted to reduce the effects of group think on my list.
I still like to adjust my list as people I trust give me more information and sometimes highlight aspects that I may have missed.

I've watched most of the championships either live (WA games), online or on foxfooty. I've included only Mills from the few top line talents that did not play in the championships. The other top lined names I have added into the last 5 selections and with more data, they will move into a position that better reflects where they belong in the list.

Dear professionals, I have a fraction of your information and knowledge hence you will no doubt make better decisions than myself over a longer period of time.

If a player did not play at the championship then there is a very good chance I have never seen that player live, so please don't bother asking me what I think of their chances.

Thoughts on this years draft.
When you have Vic Metro with a very poor group of players, then it is often a sign of a weak draft. The fact WA in my eyes has one of the worst draft classes I've seen in the last 5 years makes it even thinner. The fact WA managed to win a few games makes me very worried about this years draft class. In saying that there are a number of tall players that will make their mark on the league. The academy group is nice this year, so they may be going into debt this year.

I will attempt to do some sort of Mock draft much closer to the draft date when we know the true draft order.

1. Joshua Schache - VC (199.0 cm, 96.0 kg - Key Forward) - It is a close battle with Weitering, but the fact he is a forward wins out for me. Probably one of the best kicks for goal I've seen in a junior in my short time watching under 18's.

2. Jacob Weitering - VC (195.0 cm, 90.0 kg - Key Defender) - Has shown glimpse up forward, but looks like an amazing back. Not often you use pick 2 on and key position defender.

3. Callum Mills - NSW (188.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Midfielder) - This is purely based on last year and could be adjusted before the end of the year, but he is pure class.

4. Darcy Parish - VC (181.0 cm, 73.0 kg - Midfielder) - This has elements of last years ability, I still love what this kid has to offer.

5. Jacob Hopper - NSW (186.0 cm, 82.0 kg - Midfielder) - Monster midfielder that can also rest forward and look dangerous. Inside midfielder, just lacking a little speed.

6. Kieran Collins - VC (193.0 cm, 94.0 kg - Key Defender) - Late birthday and has come on in leaps and bounds and has a lovely kick on him. Wonderful contested marking player.

7. Aaron Francis - SA (190.0 cm, 86.0 kg - Key Defender) - Plays a lot like Hodge in the backline, sags off his player and reads the play wonderfully. He looks lost up forward and in the midfield in my eyes, so he is mainly a defender. Give him a few more cms and the ability to move forward or midfield and he goes in the top 4.

8. Harley Balic - VM (186.0 cm, 80.0 kg - Midfielder) - Reminds me a little of a younger Mundy. Looks like he is only going at half pace and you want him to look more active. He has grown on me as a player. (He may get adjusted down in my rankings at some point)

9. Eric Hipwood - QLD (200.0 cm, 82.0 kg - Key Forward/Defender) - Attempts to be a little too cute in the backhalf, but give this kid 3 or 4 years and watch this space. He does not look out of place in the forward line as well, maybe even slight better forward.

10.Rhys Mathieson - VC (185.0 cm, 79.0 kg - Midfielder) - I would say the toughest and strongest inside player in this draft. Just lacks a little polish with his possessions. He will not die wondering.

11.Harry McKay - VC (200.0 cm, 85.0 kg - Key Forward/Ruck) - I love his ground work and agility for his height. His marking is a little soft at times and then other times he clunks a mark. Will not be your number 1 forward, but will certainly provide a target.

12.Ben Keays - QLD (183.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Midfielder) - Showed his ability when moving forward which certainly adds another element to his game. Solid midfielder.

13.Riley Bonner - SA (191.0 cm, 79.0 kg - Defender) - Close to one of my favourites from the draft and maybe a case of me overrating his ability. Place this kid in the Hawks and watch him shine!

14.Ryan Clarke - VM (186.0 cm, 84.0 kg Midfielder) - I think this kid could be better than some of the others I've rated higher than him. Just did not show it enough, but I am projecting good things. He just seems more athletic than some of the other midfielders I've placed higher.

15.Nick O'Kearney - VM (181.0 cm, 71.0 kg - Midfielder) - Knows how to find the ball and generally looks the goods.

16.Luke Partington - SA (182.0 cm, 75.0 kg - Midfielder) - Solid player that should certainly fill out a midfield

17.Darcy Tucker - VC (184.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Small Defender) - I could have this guy completely rated wrong, but this one game I watched him fumble a little and it made me push him down my list a lot. Would love to have a lot more vision of this kid and make a better call.

18.Mitchell Hibberd - TAS (191.0 cm, 85.0 kg - Midfielder) - I normally rate division two players a lot lower than most people. This year I am having a change of heart. He has the size and kicking ability of a modern day footballer, I would love to see him against the better teams. I could be completely off the mark with this rating, but I like what he has to offer.

19.Ben Crocker - VM (185.0 cm, 81.0 kg – Small Forward/ Midfielder) - Heard he spends a lot more time in the midfield for his club, so if he keeps improving this area, he could go higher.

20.Callum Ah Chee - WA (182.0 cm, 71.0 kg - Small Forward) - Meh, he annoyed me in the championships. I think if WA had a better midfield, he may have shown more. Still has so many AFL qualities you have to select him this high if not higher.

------------------------------------------------------
21.Will Snelling - SA (176.0 cm, 75.0 kg - Midfielder)
22.Tom Cole - VC (185.0 cm, 76.0 kg - Midfielder)
23.Jade Gresham - VM (177.0 cm, 74.0 kg - Midfielder)
24.Bailey Rice - VC (184.0 cm, 81.0 kg – Small Defender)
25.Wayne Milera - SA (185.0 cm, 75.0 kg - Small Forward)
26.James Parsons - VM (189.0 cm, 79.0 kg Midfielder)
27.Kieran Lovell - TAS (174.0 cm, 80.0 kg - Midfielder)
28.Mabior Chol - QLD (198.0 cm, 78.3 kg - Key Forward/Defender)
29.Jack Agostino - SA (182.0 cm, 77.0 kg - Small Defender)
30.Josh Dunkley - VC (189.0 cm, 85.0 kg - Midfielder)

These players are a mixture of potential to make the AFL grade but just have some major question marks on the ability to step up to the next level. Anything from size, ability to play midfield, or kicking.
Chol may be a rookie list player at best, but I am projecting that a professional environment may turn this player into a gun player.

---------------------------------------------------
31.Matthew Perry - VM (187.0 cm, 73.0 kg - Midfielder)
32.Blake Hardwick - VM (181.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Small Forward)
33.Levi Ridley - WA (183.0 cm, 74.0 kg – Small Forward/Midfielder)
34.Luke Surman - SA (196.0 cm, 97.0 kg - Key Defender)
35.Stephen Tahana - SA (183.0 cm, 78.0 kg - Small Defender)
36.Greg Clark - WA (193.0 cm, 82.0 kg - Midfielder)
37.Bailey Rogers - WA (184.0 cm, 80.0 kg - Midfielder)
38.Dylan Smith - WA (198.0 cm, 81.0 kg - Key Forward)
39.Maris Olekalns - SA (182.0 cm, 72.0 kg - Midfielder)
40.Clint Hinchcliffe (179.0 cm, 81.0 kg inside midfielder)

I will say that Ridley is my favourite from this group. Rogers may move up the order with some good colts form. If Hardwick can show some ability in the midfield, he could sneak up the draft order a lot more. Perry, he interests me a lot, once again with limited time and vision, it makes judging these players hard.

41.Brendan Dew - SA (181.0 cm, 72.0 kg - Midfielder)
42.Kade Stewart - WA (180.0 cm, 70.0 kg - Midfielder)
43.Nash Holmes - VC (180.0 cm, 74.0 kg - Midfielder)
44.Jadyn Brind - SA (181.0 cm, 86.0 kg – Small Forward/Midfielder)
45.Jack Silvagni - VM (190.0 cm, 81.0 kg - Defender)

Just thrown in a few personal favourites into this list.

EDIT: These guys below did not play in the championships or I did not see them and I am not 100% sure where to rate them but I know it is highly likely they're in the top 50 players.

46.Matthew Kennedy - NSW (187.0 cm, 84.0 kg - Midfielder)
47.Sam Skinner - VC (197.0 cm, 96.0 kg - Key Forward)
48.Charles Curnow - VC (191.0 cm, 95.0 kg - Key forward)
49.Ryan Burton - SA (191.0 cm, 83.0 kg - Key forward)
50.Sam Weideman - VM (196.0 cm, 91.0 kg - Key Forward)

This group will most likely get drafted higher and with more information I will move them up the order in the future. Kennedy from all reports is highly likely to go in the top 15. I think Skinner as well could be a smokey up high considering he was infront of McKay and I have moved him up my order so high.

Last edited:
Updated top 50 18/11/15
1. Jacob Weitering
2. Joshua Schache
3. Callum Mills
4. Jacob Hopper
5. Wayne Milera
6. Eric Hipwood
7. Matthew Kennedy
8. Clayton Oliver
9. Darcy Parish
10.Sam Weideman
11.Harry McKay
12.Charlie Curnow
13.Aaron Francis
14.Kieran Collins
15.Ryan Clarke
16.Ben Keays
17.Jade Gresham
18.Luke Partington
19.Riley Bonner
20.Rhys Mathieson
21.Mitchell Hibberd
22.Ben McKay
23.Harley Balic
24.Josh Dunkley
25.Harrison Himmelberg
26.Darcy Tucker
27.Tom Cole
28.Callum Ah Chee
29.David Cuningham
30.Daniel Rioli
31.Nick O’Kearney
32.Ben Crocker
33.Brandon White
34.Ryan Burton
35.Mason Redman
36.Kieran Lovell
37.Cameron Hewett
38.Mitch Brown
39.Bailey Rice
40.Marcus Adams
41.Gach Nyuon
42.Will Snelling
43.Liam McKenna
44.Nathan Broad
45.Jesse Glass-McCasker
46.James Parsons
47.Nash Holmes
48.Sam Skinner
49.Blake Hardwick
50.Dan Houston

Last edited:

Good work! Looking forward to reading the updated version later in the year.

And congrats on the newborn. Having a 9mth at home, i don't know how you found the time to get this far! :)

Thoughts on hinchliffe for the draft?

I have him 40th in my rankings, he could go anywhere from 25-rookie.
In a year when they kicking skills are below average, he certainly does shine in that aspect of the game. All the reports are stating that he is focusing on his football now, so that could mean he has plenty of upside.
It is always hard to rank those players with interesting body shapes and just don't look like a normal footballer.
I would love to see his testing results and get a better baseline as to where he stands.

Good work! Looking forward to reading the updated version later in the year.

And congrats on the newborn. Having a 9mth at home, i don't know how you found the time to get this far! :)

Cheers mate, I did this update at 2am in the morning, so I was up late with the little one and thought I should put this all down while I am doing the night shift.

I did find it interesting to see later in the day Twomey do his update and he had moved a few names and our drafts looked similar, made me think my thoughts are not too crazy.

Why do you have curnow so far back?

46.Matthew Kennedy - NSW (187.0 cm, 84.0 kg - Midfielder)
47.Sam Skinner - VC (197.0 cm, 96.0 kg - Key Forward)
48.Charles Curnow - VC (191.0 cm, 95.0 kg - Key forward)
49.Ryan Burton - SA (191.0 cm, 83.0 kg - Key forward)
50.Sam Weideman - VM (196.0 cm, 91.0 kg - Key Forward)

These guys all did not play in the championships and hence belong somewhere higher, I am just not 100% sure where to rank them.

Seeing you're a W.A. man, i'm assuming you've seen a decent amount of Greg Clark.

Can you tell me your opinion of his game. You have him lower than i do.

I saw the televised Champs games and he was one of the few players outside Vic Country that i saw do a few things that screamed AFL talent to me. He showed very clean hands, vision and quick co-ordination in tight a few times and combined with his physique, running ability and leadership traits, i see a good prospect.

Can you tell me your opinion of his game. You have him lower than i do.
If you look at him purely from an athletic standpoint then it seems he has everything in his game to be an AFL player.
I just have a few issues with his kicking ability and does not use his size in the slightest when marking.
Then you have the fact during the championships he was completely outside styled player.

I just picture a little Kane Lucas in him.

If you look at him purely from an athletic standpoint then it seems he has everything in his game to be an AFL player.
I just have a few issues with his kicking ability and does not use his size in the slightest when marking.
Then you have the fact during the championships he was completely outside styled player.

Thanks.

Kane Lucas has scarred us Blues lol. I was no fan.

I have got the impression that that has been the feel on Clark by a few dedicated watchers on here, but i have to be honest, i saw Clark play with a fair bit more intent that Kane ended up playing with.

I'll watch with interest how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm cooling a little on Parish, I know you want your football team to keep winning, but I really want one of the two talls.
Totally in the same camp. As much as I hate losing games and want to breed a winning culture, the drop off in quality out of the first 2 picks is too great to let slip.

Thats not to say Francis isn't talented, he is, but he ain't the potential prototype mid that some make him out to be. He's a third tall defender, and to put it simply, it just isn't as important a position.

I feel Mills is the most complete mid, Hopper the next best. Parish just has a couple if question marks, so if we do rise to pick 3-4, I just have the feeling that when we look back at this draft we'll be left thinking "if only"

I'm cooling a little on Parish, I know you want your football team to keep winning, but I really want one of the two talls.

Lemming if Blues get pick 3 in the draft and Schache and Weitering are taken, who should CFC take at 3?

If Bombers, Saints & Melbourne finish with picks 4, 5 and 6. How would that order look in your opinion as still weighing up if Blues should try trade for another top pick

I think more Cale Morton, he truly plays a similar game during the championships

Lemming if Blues get pick 3 in the draft and Schache and Weitering are taken, who should CFC take at 3?

If Bombers, Saints & Melbourne finish with picks 4, 5 and 6. How would that order look in your opinion as still weighing up if Blues should try trade for another top pick

It really depends on how we rate Francis, if it is higher than myself, then I would stick with pick 3.
Not sure we can get into pick 4, 5 or 6 we don't have the chips to get those picks.

I have a feeling that Carlton will be nominating Mills and then selecting someone like Parish/Francis and depending on how they rate the players in my 45-50 section, one of those could get picked.

Hibberd at 18. Cal twoney has suggested he would be close to the top 20 but that 20-30 range seems to be the go? But Definatly could go higher in my opioioun

Hibberd at 18. Cal twoney has suggested he would be close to the top 20 but that 20-30 range seems to be the go? But Definatly could go higher in my opioioun

Part of me almost rated him a little higher, but I would need to go watch the Tassie games again to make sure I am not rating him a little too high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back