Religion Pope Francis: "many powerful people don't want peace because they live off war".

Remove this Banner Ad

Breaking news. Pope states what all intelligent people who cared to look around this world with a shred of scrutiny and reality knew 14 years ago, if not more.

Guess what else everyone knows. The church is dying and this is the PR pope. All that really needs to be said to explain the quote.

Breaking news. Pope states what all intelligent people who cared to look around this world with a shred of scrutiny and reality knew 14 years ago, if not more.

Guess what else everyone knows. The church is dying and this is the PR pope. All that really needs to be said to explain the quote.
Calling Pope Francis the PR Pope shows how little understanding you have of the workings of the Roman Catholic Church.

Firstly, over the last few decades each Pope has been calling for peace and admonishing major powers for failing to take any real action to achieve this. Hearing it again is nothing new and he'll say it again in a few months time.

Secondly, he is actually reforming the church not just talking about doing it, something both of his predecessors did. When you step into and start running such a bureaucratic organisation as the Catholic church, it takes time to change things. Cardinals are appointed by the Pope so changing the make up of the Synod takes time. He has moved a number of key figures into do nothing jobs and made massive changes to the structures inside the Vatican, but it takes time for these changes to take effect. It's like rebuilding a football team that has fallen away because it refused to get rid of ageing stars instead wanting to recruit other ageing players to top itself up. The cleanout is happening, the result will happen but when you've left it too long achieving past glories is going to be difficult.

The Church also does something that many have forgotten and that is looking at the long term picture, nothing they do is about the here and now, despite people wanting it to be, because that actually doesn't achieve anything but PR. Pope Francis wants to change the structure to make it that the local congregations feel that they actually have some sort of influence over what happens in their area, rather than having idiots who only spew out what comes from Rome. This is something Islam has done far more successfully, give more freedom to local muftis to direct their congregation. Whilst it has created an environment where it is easier for some to become radicalised, it has also created an environment where it is able to appeal to those who do believe in a god, to follow Islam over Christianity.

d7cd8eb175ed342fe2cd8b5cfe8e9c66.jpg

Pope Francis made the same point in his speech to Congress: “Here we have to ask ourselves: Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society? Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money: money that is drenched in blood, often innocent blood. In the face of this shameful and culpable silence, it is our duty to confront the problem and to stop the arms trade.”

Pope, pope, pope of Rome.
I am the Pope of Rome,
as I walk around St Peters Dome,
I'm the Pope of Rome.
Of late I wonder why George Pell won't go home....

But I'm the Pope of Rome.

Last edited:
No s**t, Pope Sherlock.

What amazes me is why people seem to celebrate when they hear this obvious rhetoric from "leaders" or the "official media". War is always about money, resources, and power. The rest is propaganda (including the whole "war on terror" debacle, IS etc.)

Good to see he's weaving his magic on the "War on Drugs" in Mexico.
Pope Francis said the scale of the drug problem meant the Church could not hide behind"anodyne denunciations" and urged Mexican bishops to tackle it instead with "prophetic courage"
Correspondents say his speech uncomfortably exposed the Churches shortcomings and generated only lukewarm applause,with just a handful of bishops standing in ovation.
BBC World News 14/2/2016
Now that's easy for him to say,he gets around in a bullet-proof car.I just hope those bishops went and lit a candle at the nearest Santa Muerte shrine because that's their only hope of dodging bullets.

Last edited:
john lennons "imagine"
Just go and remind yourself of the words and sentiment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No s**t, Pope Sherlock.

What amazes me is why people seem to celebrate when they hear this obvious rhetoric from "leaders" or the "official media". War is always about money, resources, and power. The rest is propaganda (including the whole "war on terror" debacle, IS etc.)

Most mainstream media, 'leaders' continue to the rubbish how war is good ad required.

The pope is one of the few that is publically saying the truth

Plenty of relevance.

Asset rich isn't the same as cash rich.
Sisters of Money in Brisbane would beg to differ. Funding their retirements with millions in asset sales. More than a couple of developers getting in on the grab paying unders for property the organisation just wants to get cash out of quickly.

They were never good stewards of the wealth bestowed on them through the generosity of believers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back