Review Round 14 - Fremantle d Brisbane by 36 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to go against the trend and say that I am happy with that win thanks to the last quarter. Don't entirely understand all the criticism, perhaps its people safeguarding their emotional state if we don't reach expectations?!. We are 12 - 1, the best the club has ever, ever, ever, been at in its history and we're not happy? I am ecstatic! Even in 2013 we weren't going this well.

Thoughts about the game:
  • we looked flat footed in the 1st half, very responsive and not proactive (running into space, waiting for the ball etc..).
  • So many tackles! 114 - 120 (last years Grand Final had 60odd each for the game).
  • I thought Tabs was good in the 1st quarter but we HAD to get Matt de boar in the game under those conditions and he had 5 clearances i think.
  • Good to see pav kick a few goals as i didn't see him slot one in the warm up haha
  • Confidence can have an amazing effect
  • Tributes to Phil Walsh was amazing. Well done everyone!

This may be an unpopular sentiment, but a win against the Hawks next week seems unlikely. This arvo's game was a very tough slog on a soggy surface with a very high number of tackles. The last time we had a game like that (Adelaide), we struggled to get going the following week (Richmond).

I expect the same thing will happen next week, but in the sub-zero temperatures of of Tasmania, the slow start may be even worse.

I'm not saying we won't beat Hawthorn in finals, but it doesn't seem likely next weekend.

This may be an unpopular sentiment, but a win against the Hawks next week seems unlikely. This arvo's game was a very tough slog on a soggy surface with a very high number of tackles. The last time we had a game like that (Adelaide), we struggled to get going the following week (Richmond).

I expect the same thing will happen next week, but in the sub-zero temperatures of of Tasmania, the slow start may be even worse.

I'm not saying we won't beat Hawthorn in finals, but it doesn't seem likely next weekend.

Agree. I won't be judging our chances based on whether or not we can beat Hawthorn in Antarctica.

Hawks play the Shoemaker, WC have played first year defenders and Sydney bought theirs for millions. He's pretty much all we have, so we all need to get used to it for now.

Hawks played Spangher this weekend too because Roughead is out.

Hawks with an additional 2 days rest should see them with extra fresh legs as well

Mixed feelings. The first 3/4 were poke your eyes out awful but we got the first look for a while of the team of the first 8 rounds on show in the last quarter.

Some things to like - A Pearce, Spurr, McPharlin, Ibbo, Walters, Neale, Mundy, Pav getting on the board under duress (apparently he nearly pulled out due to severe Gastro). Clarke did a few Good things, the mids battled on against what is a pretty good setup in Leunberger, Beams, Redden, Christensen, Robinson (the conditions suited him today) and whoever else they had running through there.

I confess to being gobsmacked in the 1st quarter, Balla had a free about 60 out and Sandi was in the square and he just stood there. Ballantyne was waiting for someone to lead and Sandi just stood there, eventually Balla put it up to the hot spot and Sandi didn't even compete, just stayed on the goal line and Walters and someone else went up for the mark. I just couldn't work out why he didn't contest the marking contest or even look interested in doing so. All he had to do was run toward the hotspot and wait for Balla to sit it up. When he did that later in the game he marked it although he sprayed a sitter like everyone else was doing.

Our forward line is just a disaster except for Walters and Pav. Tabs started out nicely and then disappeared. Clarke at least competed.
I just don't know how we can kick a big enough score against the good teams with Mayne and Ballantyne continuing to have no impact on the scoreboard. Even when Mayne gets a kick he has become a victim of his own robotic set shot routine to the point where he can't kick over a jam tin. I think to some extent DeBoer suffers from the same problem; they have spend so much time working on the mechanics of their kicking action that they have lost all their natural timing. When DeBoer threw one on his boot under pressure without thinking today he easily kicked it 45M but when he has time to think about it its just awful most of the time. I wonder how you can get them to just relax and kick naturally. Throw the whole routine out and just go back to kicking it and making contact off the boot.

I guess we will find out where we stand next week.

Once again poor team selection for the conditions. One of Tabs or Clarke should not have played in those conditions.

Again poor goal kicking could have cost us. Absolute sitters that should have been kicked 100% of the time with the weather being no excuse unless they were playing in the middle of a tornado.

The skills and ability to handle the wet ball was a big improvement on recent weeks but decision making is still quite poor.

After last week I wanted Danyle Pearce to drop himself but he was back to a bit of form today. Easily the best game he has played in weeks.

The back line today were sublime with no weak link. When Johnno comes back I have no idea who they take out. It'll probably be Alex Pearce but the way he has been playing he deserves to keep his spot.

Not seeing much love for Ballas but I thought it was close to/if not his best game of the season. Despite being held off the ball all game (including one instance where he was put in a head lock and thrown to the ground with no free despite the ump looking straight at it) his pressure and work rate was outstanding.

I also liked Tabs contribution. He didn't get much of the ball but he kept presenting and was bringing the ball to ground for the smalls. He kept trying despite being outnumbered in a number of contests.

The umps treatment of Sandi the since the Richmond game has gone beyond a joke. For some reason opposition players can do what they want to him and yet the moment he touches them it's a free against.

Robinson is a campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wet weather slog? Grass equivalent to wet mud? de Boer should've been a certain starter. Taberner being a late exclusion for either Mzungu, Sutty, Crozier or even a debutante with Grey, Weller, or Blakely would be a good call. Though despite the rain he lead well and created options for his teammates in the first quarter.

Spurr and Ibbotson were fantastic. Even with the fact Ibbo nearly took my head off with a clutch punch across the goal line in the last quarter. A. Pearce continues to impress. Duffield was influensial showing his composure and leadership in the backline.

Fyfe was kept reasonably quiet by his standards by Mitch shithead Robinson even though still managing to rack up 27 disposals. Neale and Mundy major contributors to our midfield with great input as always. Sheridan needs to be looked at, watching the game live showed me he's often out of position and has no clue where he needs to be at times. He isn't footy smart and needs to make way for a more composed player such as Mzungu, or a debutante.

Pav kicking 3 even with illness was great to take out of that game, hopefully it'll build his confidence as we face the Hawks next week. Walters once again kicking a bag is fantastic, although I'm a little concerned for Ballantyne, a few weeks in a row now I've expected him to step up and kick a bag and I'm still waiting...

All in all still need to work on our wet weather game as it became apparent when it dried up in the last quarter we dominated the play, where as in the first 3 quarter we struggled. Playing in Antarctica next week against the back-to-back reigning premiers will be the biggest challenge of the season and we need to bring our best. I think Freo perform better against the stronger teams so looking forward to an intense game next week. I hope :)

Freo has played two games in a month, both at home. Should be primed.

Mixed feelings. The first 3/4 were poke your eyes out awful but we got the first look for a while of the team of the first 8 rounds on show in the last quarter.

Some things to like - A Pearce, Spurr, McPharlin, Ibbo, Walters, Neale, Mundy, Pav getting on the board under duress (apparently he nearly pulled out due to severe Gastro). Clarke did a few Good things, the mids battled on against what is a pretty good setup in Leunberger, Beams, Redden, Christensen, Robinson (the conditions suited him today) and whoever else they had running through there.

I confess to being gobsmacked in the 1st quarter, Balla had a free about 60 out and Sandi was in the square and he just stood there. Ballantyne was waiting for someone to lead and Sandi just stood there, eventually Balla put it up to the hot spot and Sandi didn't even compete, just stayed on the goal line and Walters and someone else went up for the mark. I just couldn't work out why he didn't contest the marking contest or even look interested in doing so. All he had to do was run toward the hotspot and wait for Balla to sit it up. When he did that later in the game he marked it although he sprayed a sitter like everyone else was doing.

Our forward line is just a disaster except for Walters and Pav. Tabs started out nicely and then disappeared. Clarke at least competed.
I just don't know how we can kick a big enough score against the good teams with Mayne and Ballantyne continuing to have no impact on the scoreboard. Even when Mayne gets a kick he has become a victim of his own robotic set shot routine to the point where he can't kick over a jam tin. I think to some extent DeBoer suffers from the same problem; they have spend so much time working on the mechanics of their kicking action that they have lost all their natural timing. When DeBoer threw one on his boot under pressure without thinking today he easily kicked it 45M but when he has time to think about it its just awful most of the time. I wonder how you can get them to just relax and kick naturally. Throw the whole routine out and just go back to kicking it and making contact off the boot.

I guess we will find out where we stand next week.

This is so true. Great post :thumbsu:

Best thing about Clarke's game yesterday was he looked hungry for the contest. It was a game where he previously has been wanting. Clearly the spell at Peel worked.

Once again poor team selection for the conditions. One of Tabs or Clarke should not have played in those conditions.

Again poor goal kicking could have cost us. Absolute sitters that should have been kicked 100% of the time with the weather being no excuse unless they were playing in the middle of a tornado.

The skills and ability to handle the wet ball was a big improvement on recent weeks but decision making is still quite poor.

After last week I wanted Danyle Pearce to drop himself but he was back to a bit of form today. Easily the best game he has played in weeks.

The back line today were sublime with no weak link. When Johnno comes back I have no idea who they take out. It'll probably be Alex Pearce but the way he has been playing he deserves to keep his spot.

Not seeing much love for Ballas but I thought it was close to/if not his best game of the season. Despite being held off the ball all game (including one instance where he was put in a head lock and thrown to the ground with no free despite the ump looking straight at it) his pressure and work rate was outstanding.

I also liked Tabs contribution. He didn't get much of the ball but he kept presenting and was bringing the ball to ground for the smalls. He kept trying despite being outnumbered in a number of contests.

The umps treatment of Sandi the since the Richmond game has gone beyond a joke. For some reason opposition players can do what they want to him and yet the moment he touches them it's a free against.

Robinson is a campaigner.

Can't disagree with all the above, we now no how to win games no matter what the the conditions or the tactics being used to quell us. They probably will try Alex forward when Johno comes back but his one game at forward for peel was not a success. I also think Shero going fine there trying to make him into a Smith type clone from Hawks.
Let's just keep marching on we are 12 & 1 for f... Sake, win this week & the Hawks don't get top two we are so close to home I can taste it.:D

Positives
- Clarke and Taberner learning their lesson albeit the latter being subbed out at half time
- Last quarter. That's what good teams do.
- Sir Alex Pearce at 200cm he moves like he's 184cm, going to be even better once he works on his strength - Ross doesn't play youth but.

Negatives
- Shots at goal. Gave me flash backs to the 2013 Grand Final.
- First three quarters. Credit to Brisbane and their man on man approach.
- Wet weather games. Hopefully a sunny day in Tassy next week but don't like our chances.

Positives:
  • A.Pearce - I was impressed to see him gather, side step then run between 3 Bris. players, and deliver lace out to the wing (to Suban i think it was) - something I have never seen Dawson do. I also think his 1%ers are just excellent.
  • Walters firing
  • Hill in the first half
  • Pav geting some form in the wet
  • We are in a form slum and STILL 12-1.
Negatives
  • first half of footy
  • Why do we suddenly struggle with wet weather footy?
  • Tired, sore bodies for next week, might force the hand of RTB.
Also, I think the selection of Tabener / Clarke in the pissing rain was a calculated risk. I think the team selection comity can see the value on playing Tabs in those kind of games. When Pav is gone, it's not like we can just tap out Tab and bring in someone else. I think that if we had two key forwards (excluding Pav) that the running Tabener would more than likely stay on the field in the place of a tall stay at home forward.

A. Pearce was the big positive for mine from the weekend. Just classy. String at the contest. Great below his knees, agile and great hands.

Other positive was putting on 7? Goals in a quarter. Good to see we still have that in us.

7 days break between the Hawthorn game in Tazzie is ample time to recover. I'm of the opinion that these wet weather games are doing wonders for our match fitness and that when we do play on a fine dry day, our skill levels will go through the roof. I'm very happy that we're not playing our best footy but still winning. Let's save our best for last. We are in an awesome position sitting top of the ladder and two games clear. Make no mistake;we're building nicely. No changes next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back