Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what Hardwick was saying after they lost to Melbourne by 32 points:

"At the end of the day, a performance like that indicates we're not tough enough.
"We're better than that bloody performance."
"To put up that second-half performance when you don't hunt the ball, the side looks stronger than you over the contest – we were fumbling and bumbling away – you're never going to win a footy game,"
"It was as poor an effort as I've seen from our footy club in a long time. Really poor.
"We were disappointing in an area we're normally good at. Contested ball is normally a foundation block of our footy club.
"Tonight we didn't come to play. We weren't tough enough, the opposition out-hunted us, outmuscled us.
"We played insipid footy, plain and simple."

Here's what Hird said after a 110 point loss to St. Kilda:

"Our effort and intensity was poor and they beat us around the contest and got their confidence going.
"That's concerning for me as the coach that there wasn't that effort there, and it's concerning for our group and concerning for our club and our supporters."
"Really, I think when you play as badly as we played, or you didn’t perform, you have to go back to one simple principle and that's hard work," Hird said.
"You've got to work as hard as you can, focus on the central part of your game and get that right first. It all stems from stoppages and clearances and getting that right.
"We got out-spread, we didn't use the ball well, we didn't defend them properly but essentially the game starts at the stoppage and around the contest and we got absolutely smashed in that area."

You'd expect the two to be said in the opposite result.
What's your point? They're two different people.

What's your point? They're two different people.

After the only game I have ever known about where the majority of the players did not try, did not make any sort of effort, you'd expect some sort of emotion. Some sort of anger, anger at the team. Even during the game he didn't seem to do more than go through the motions. At 3/4 time Hird should of given the biggest spray of all time. Instead he just calmly says a few words and holds up the whiteboard for the players to see their positions. I mean, you'd expect him to do something. It seems like he's just going through the motions.

After the only game I have ever known about where the majority of the players did not try, did not make any sort of effort, you'd expect some sort of emotion. Some sort of anger, anger at the team. Even during the game he didn't seem to do more than go through the motions. At 3/4 time Hird should of given the biggest spray of all time. Instead he just calmly says a few words and holds up the whiteboard for the players to see their positions. I mean, you'd expect him to do something. It seems like he's just going through the motions.
So you're upset at him because he didn't completely lose his s**t like an idiot?

Me picking Essendon this week has no relationship to you and others mis-reading the tea leaves - I selected EFC this week because we will have some good weeks until WADA finishes - Of course I can't read the players mind.
I guess i've miss read the tea leaves then! I was pretty confident in my tip in the ol' family tipping comp, and couldn't believe the odds quoted by the bookies on the wireless on my way 3up the game.

Saints have had a knack against us recently and should probably won the last one when we were traveling better than ATM.

100 points however is a mark that no team should suffer without consequence. Asada or no asada.

So you're upset at him because he didn't completely lose his s**t like an idiot?

Point is he's said the same things for the last 5 losses. He saw nothing different in this one. That's what's concerning.

Half the problem is Hird's too nice. You see it on the selection table, in how long it took to drop Bellchambers. You see it at the breaks, and you see it after the game. Even in the losses, Hird tries to smile, make a joke, sort of try and be friends with all the media people in there. And there's nothing wrong with any of that, when your winning, and when your players are playing to their best each week. Then he can joke around and be relaxed all he wants. But when the team's loosing he needs to get tougher to get something to happen. Nice guy Hird hasn't worked, unfortunately. Even more unfortunately, I don't think he has a tough guy persona.

Point is he's said the same things for the last 5 losses. He saw nothing different in this one. That's what's concerning.

Half the problem is Hird's too nice. You see it on the selection table, in how long it took to drop Bellchambers. You see it at the breaks, and you see it after the game. Even in the losses, Hird tries to smile, make a joke, sort of try and be friends with all the media people in there. And there's nothing wrong with any of that, when your winning, and when your players are playing to their best each week. Then he can joke around and be relaxed all he wants. But when the team's loosing he needs to get tougher to get something to happen. Nice guy Hird hasn't worked, unfortunately. Even more unfortunately, I don't think he has a tough guy persona.
I don't really care how nice his persona seems or how he talks to the media or whether he moves the magnets around the whiteboard or throws them on the ground and jumps on them. Just needs to keep playing the kids so we can make some serious decisions about the list at the end of the year.

I don't really care how nice his persona seems or how he talks to the media or whether he moves the magnets around the whiteboard or throws them on the ground and jumps on them. Just needs to keep playing the kids so we can make some serious decisions about the list at the end of the year.

You want a coach not strong enough to drop his own players?

Hopefully he won't be making any decisions on next year's list. This ain't working. Not only is it ain't working, s**t's getting worse week by week ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week was the only time that Hird showed emotion at an after-match presser - He spent the week being lynched by the media.

Now I've cooled off a bit I'm even more adamant. Moving on Hird before the end of this season would be moronic. There's nothing to be gained at all.

What the Board does need to do is ensure very clearly that Hird knows the season is over, and he must commit to the future with his selection.

What arguments could be put forward for Hird being sacked now? In honesty?

What arguments could be put forward for Hird being sacked now? In honesty?

It's a unique situation, so it's a guess, but in our case I reckon we'd sink further. The players would switch off totally. There'd be no shakeup and boost in our case I think; this group has had a very unique and trying experience.

I think we're best to wait until the off season. The devil you know etc

No coach worth having would be willing to come to this club whilst the supplement rubbish remains unresolved. Anything other than staying the course is pointless until then.

Spot on. Its amazing how this aspect of the clubs dilemma does not seem to be recognised by so many. Had the cas hearing been scheduled to be over before the end of the season different story but as it is we are screwed in terms of getting a good replacement.

Only reason why Hird going upsets me is that it will give Caroline Wilson, Ralph, Smith and others a lot of pleasure. This pisses me off big time.

I hope things can be negotiated so Hird remains an integral part of the club. He is a legend and should be respected as such.

If we are to get a new coach, it needs to be now so they can get their game plan in motion and try out out list. So we can hit the ground running in 2016.

Upset Bomber is not still at the club.

We have the nucleus of a very good team. Need some youth, exuberance and speed injected into the team.

Hird has not been given a good run at coaching to find out if he can make it our not. It is the same as players who are given one game, and then dropped. Needs to have this year and next to be able to judge properly.

The other concern is the list. We have a few players who are young and out of contract and decisions need to be made on them. We as supporters have been calling out for their inclusion to see if they can make it. Now that they are getting games (and predictable losses follow) we now turn on the coach? I don't see how the poor list of players can be attributed to Hird.

Now that they are getting games (and predictable losses follow) we now turn on the coach?

Que?

Our selection has been bloody deplorable - we are not giving these kids any chance at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back