Pat Cummins returns.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bird? Sandhu? Abbott? Hilf? Would pick them all ahead of Cummins. We'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel, sure, but Cummins literally hasn't played a FC match in 23 months, and he's expected to step into Test cricket?

Bird is injured as well.

Sandhu and Abbott are miles from it and Hilfy got dropped by Tassie from memory.

None of those players are anywhere near it except for Bird who is injured. Cummins played in the World Cup, that counts as competitive cricket. I agree it's not really ideal that he hasn't played FC cricket for a long time. But he is fit and he is a good bowler who oozes talent.

None of those players are anywhere near it except for Bird who is injured. Cummins played in the World Cup, that counts as competitive cricket. I agree it's not really ideal that he hasn't played FC cricket for a long time. But he is fit and he is a good bowler who oozes talent.

I know he's played competitive cricket, and if this was a one day series that would be fine, but the entire reason he's played limited overs cricket and not first class cricket is that his body hasn't been deemed capable of playing a full first class match! Yet we're suddenly picking him for the Ashes?

I would rather pick a fit player who's a bit off the pace than a 22 year old who hasn't bowled a red ball in anger in 2 years.

He should be playing for Australia A and proving, one way or another, his fitness. Not being a backup for the bloody Ashes.

He surely won't play, but if we were forced into playing him he'd get belted.

Of course Cummins comes in after the First Class warm-up fixtures are done.

I want to see this guy play a full season of Sheffield Shield fixtures before being considered for a Test squad. Hasn't played a First Class match in nearly two years, and hasn't played a Shield game in over four years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impossible.

No way he gets selected ahead of Johnson, Starc or Hazlewood.

If they wanted him that much he'd have made the original squad ahead of Siddle

Exactly no way at all that he will be picked in the first XI

Just means that the first three quicks will be Johnson, Starc and Hazelwood with next choice being Siddle. Which really, when you consider that we have just lost one of the best bowlers in the world having Starc/Hazelwood as the immediate replacement with Siddle as the replacement backup we are in a very good position depth wise.

Because he was in the world cup squad

Was he? I never noticed :rolleyes:

Earlier in the season he was running drinks for the test team. Would rather him have played a Shield game at that point.

I hope he does get selected to play in at least one test in this series or it will be yet another opportunity lost to play red ball cricket (due to him not playing in the Australia A matches).

Was he? I never noticed :rolleyes:

Earlier in the season he was running drinks for the test team. Would rather him have played a Shield game at that point.

I hope he does get selected to play in at least one test in this series or it will be yet another opportunity lost to play red ball cricket (due to him not playing in the Australia A matches).

I hope he doesn't play a single test in the series because 1) it means we're getting toweled up and we've lost two of our main three quicks due to injury or form and 2) the test team isn't a development squad.

He can play against Derbyshire and Northants though

Well I'm happy as I like him and always hoped he would play in the Ashes. What baffles me however is why he was not allowed to play any first class cricket over the summer.

He may not realise that the Shield in still in operation. I hope that CA think they are getting their money's worth from him. Can't see it myself.

It's obvious James Pattinson would be next in line if not injured. I've got no doubt he can replace rhino as our number one bowler. Cummins why not? No realistic alternative is not injured atm.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Is Behrendorff fit? Him or Pattinson would have been my pick.

Behrendorff missed the second half of the season with the dreaded back. Doubt he would be back by now

Patto is the man IMO - if he can get his body fit will lead our test attack for the best part of a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back