Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Selwood probably is a scapegoat to some extent - fairly or unfairly, it's easy to see him as almost a relic of an old style of play and a different coach. I was happy to see him given the sub's vest because it was a sign that a) our midfield depth has improved substantially and b) the match committee is showing a willingness to shake up the best 22 regardless of hierarchy.

Selwood offers plenty of toughness and can be very good at his best but we looked a very different side during his breakout season in 2012 - we were much more reliant on tall timber which meant we could live with our mids bombing it forward.

The game has moved on since then and our new game plan is increasingly built on outstanding ball use. We can't afford to carry poor ball users.

Scooter reminds me at the moment of Adam Selwood during his last couple of years where you actually dreaded him getting the ball because he turned it over so often.
If this was actually the case then surely he would have come back through the WAFL?

If this was actually the case then surely he would have come back through the WAFL?

Well yeah, there is that. No doubt complicated by his free agent status though. I think at least giving him the green vest was a good first step. Same with dropping Rosa, although I think he's actually been pretty good.

Well yeah, there is that. No doubt complicated by his free agent status though. I think at least giving him the green vest was a good first step. Same with dropping Rosa, although I think he's actually been pretty good.
Yeh, it seems like they try to give players the benefit of the doubt, I guess it's good that they eventually do make changes though, Worsfold would have just kept on being stubborn. It's hard to see a role moving forward for either Rose or Selwood to be honest, I'm hoping the younger players keep them out of the side next year if they're still on the squad.

Lots of mention of rust in here, but even at his very best he never had good disposal. Our current game plan is built around quick clean ball movement, and he just doesn't have that. We're finally building a team where you feel confident that most blokes will use the ball well when they have it. Selwood even at his best didn't offer that.

God how many times does it need to be said. Free agent, Geelong don't need to give up anything...
Um mate the Eagles can match the offer ffs, there is some room to manipulate the deal from our end whether you keep saying it or not!

I'll give you an exact scenario...Geelong want Selwood but they want Danger as well, they can't afford to pay too much for Selwood as it puts pressure on Salary cap so they say to the Eagles..ok guys we're offering a packet of twisties for Selwood but so you don't get offended and offer to pay him a packet of twisties and a can of coke ( which is way overs imo ) we'll give you pick # 138. Free agency aint so free when clubs want to do deals.

Last edited:
Hopefully Geelong offer 300k+ which should at worst case scenario result in a 2nd round pick, if not a first round pick. Would take both ahead of Selwood who should be a WAFL player.
We would match that though. The only way Selwood leaves is if a) he demands to leave or b) Geelong offers a lot of money, which we are unable to match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Selwood probably is a scapegoat to some extent
Not really. A scapegoat is someone you conveniently attribute blame to for unfortunate events.

I don't think anyone is blaming Selwood for anything other than his own performance.

I don't buy into the argument that Yeo isn't dominating because Selwood is playing, but fact of the matter is that Selwood did not deserve auto selection and shouldn't be considered a star just because of a few outstanding games in early 2012 and a consistent, injury free season, which almost guarantees high places in our B&F.

Adam Selwood came second in our B&F one year iirc.

He set 3 goals up directly. WCE started dominating after Duggan (who barely had any impact all night) was subbed off and Selwood came on. But let's not let any of that get in the way of supporters and their current scapegoat. But please don't exaggerate his mistakes and then minimise his good plays - makes you look stupid.
West Coast running away was always going to happen regardless.

Hmmm, not bad sub performance by Scooter. not great, but not bad. I think he needs to swap with Rosa - you see what a good week in WAFL would do to his confidence. I'm quite concerned that he isn't sticking all his tackles, that used to be a strength, but I'm seeing him miss some and some being broken.

I'm going to go against the sentiment here and state that I think everyone is jumping the gun on their opinion of Selwood. His last two years have been cruelled by injury and hence the bad form, but we know that his best puts him right in amongst our top 5 players (see 2012/2013). Last season people were calling for Gaff and Masten to be traded, and look at them now....

The saddest part about all this is I really want him to make it. The effort and commitment is there, but his skills need to be worked on.

I think it can be done and he can be a really valuable member of the midfield, just needs a bit more time. As of right now I don't think he's 100% and needs a bit of time in the WAFL to get his mojo back.

great...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...-with-west-coast/story-fniv6fhh-1227432138420

WEST Coast midfielder Scott Selwood has renewed contract talks with Eagles management.

It is understood that a decision on his future could be reached by the end of this month with Eagles insiders confident the hard-nut on-baller will stay.

Convenient how he wants to re-engage in contract talks once we start shooting back up the ladder as his performances continue to wane :straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back