Review Post Game vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

The game today had feelings of 2003. I remember when we smashed Carlton late in that season at Princes Park with our kids running riot and just knowing that it was the start of a special period. Just so much to love about the way we are playing, hard to single out anything particular today.

That was a turning point that game,& the belief they took from that match drove us to within an inch of a GF the next year..
I had a smoko with Milney's mum that day at half time from memory, no wonder Milney was known as "Yapper"

Membrey, with a couple more pre seasons under his belt, looks like he could launch to be one of the best 3rd talls in the comp.
He's our version of Jack Gunston, with plenty more physical presence to provide..
How quick the wheel can turn, when the right appointment's are made..
From Finnis, Richo, Cox, to recruiting the Longers, Bruce's the Membrey's, from other clubs still with their career's ahead of them, is the difference between languishing in the doldrums or bouncing back..

It does feel a little like, two or three years from now, we'll be saying, "Remember that time we thrashed Essendon by 100 points... that's where it all started..."
Surely the turning point was our comeback game against the 3rd place doggies?

Far more unexpected than beating this rabble today, despite the score.

I've just been on the Essendon board for a giggle and gee they are full on punching on with each other and eating their own but this left me in stitches....
essendon.png

chrisdon16
Today at 8:04 PMMove over Dees, there's a new laughing stock of the afl.

Amazing result, sadly I only got to watch it delayed wasn't able to make it to the match today, but proud as punch, looks like my pre season prediction on here that we'd win 7 games might actually be a little too conservative, one can only hope, surely Lonie's a big chance for Rising Star nomination this round after his and of course the team's awesome performance!

I've just been on the Essendon board for a giggle and gee they are full on punching on with each other and eating their own but this left me in stitches....
essendon.png

chrisdon16
Today at 8:04 PMMove over Dees, there's a new laughing stock of the afl.
Gwilt forgot he played for essendon when he kicked it straight to Bruce. oh wait, he was playing for us the whole time

Amazing win. Been saying for a while now that if we get most of our best team on the park and things "click" that there will be plenty of games that are "winnable" for the remainder of the year, even as our draw gets harder and I think it's fair to say that today things "clicked", after we've been reasonably settled with close to our best team out there for the last few games, but didn't capitalise on a lot of our dominance in those games.

While we weren't up against much (especially after we'd "broken them") that was some of the best footy we've played in the 25 or so years I've been following us and going to basically every game we play in Melbourne over that time. It doesn't get much better than that. 3 strong options in the air up forward and amazing defensive pressure and so-on when it's on the ground, a dominant midfield (including ruck) and a really well organised and structured defence.

No reason why we can't be a much better team in the 2nd half of the year than we were in the 1st, now that we know what we're capable of, as we aren't that young or inexperienced any more (with the sort of team we're currently picking) and certainly less so than Collingwood and WB, who are both in the top 8 right now (and thus proving that being young or inexperienced overall doesn't mean you can't win consistently anyway).

Will be very interesting to see how we finish off the year and if we start to really challenge some of the better teams we're drawn to play in the coming weeks. Keep playing like we did today, or better, and we won't be losing too many more.

Easy money, BTW!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of our posters on BF are very close to the inner workings of our club.
They said at the time Richo is going to be a big loss, seems they were right.
Can we have him back please.
Like the Bulldogs your star is on the rise.....congratulations.
I imagine Molly Meldrum and Shane Warne are as happy as you guys here on BF
Gee your field kicking was impressive, you looked so organised and composed.
Goddard looked a grumpy lost soul out there probably wondering wtf have I done
or did you show him the door

I've been going to post this for a while now but today is as good as any other time. The success of Sinclair (rookie) and the likes of Lonie, McKenzie, Acres etc proves that you don't have to stress over picks 1-10 in the draft. There's always hidden gems in the draft, it's just up to your recruiting staff to unearth them. Clearly we are well very placed in that regard atm, judging by our recent strike rate at the draft.

Too true.

We all harp on about Sydney's concessions; and fair enough, but they got Luke Parker at pick 40. and Dan Hannebery at pick 30. That looks a rebuild in the face and rips out an intense belly laugh.

Roberton 24 yo - 76 games
Steven 25 - 103
Longer 22 - 38
Lonie 18 - 10
Newnes 22 - 60
Sinclair 20 - 11
Webster 22 - 31
Bruce 23 - 37
Dunstan 20 - 28
Weller 23 - 59
Ross 22 - 31
Savage 24 - 82
Membery 21 - 9

That's just players from today. Then add in

Billings
Goddard
McCartin
McKenzie
Acres

Who I'm very comfortable in saying will be good AFL players.

How quickly we've transitioned our list and injected (EssendonBombers) really top end young talent is a real credit to all involved.

We are going places !
Sinclair is a year younger than Membrey and has played 2 more games...

Considering Membrey's start to the game yesterday and just how young he is in both age and football terms, I'm comfortable in saying he'll be a GUN.

Some of our posters on BF are very close to the inner workings of our club.
They said at the time Richo is going to be a big loss, seems they were right.
Can we have him back please.
Like the Bulldogs your star is on the rise.....congratulations.
I imagine Molly Meldrum and Shane Warne are as happy as you guys here on BF
Gee your field kicking was impressive, you looked so organised and composed.
Goddard looked a grumpy lost soul out there probably wondering wtf have I done
or did you show him the door
BJ left for the money. Got sold a story by James Turd about how much potential the Bombers had.... pftt.
Likely only an extra 100k a year though so fair chance right about now he's thinking:

I should have taken a pay cut and stayed with the Saints.:cry::cry::cry:

He was an awesome player for us and I hope we see him back at the club in a non playing capacity down the track.

Sinclair is a year younger than Membrey and has played 2 more games...

Considering Membrey's start to the game yesterday and just how young he is in both age and football terms, I'm comfortable in saying he'll be a GUN.
With mcartin too come in does he start pinch hitting in the midfield?

With mcartin too come in does he start pinch hitting in the midfield?
I think high half forward like Hamill used to be. Can pinch-hit in there if necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back