Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

Death toll rising dramatically. :cry:

ABC now reporting that 101 passengers were aboard, as well as the 12 crew.

Always have to wonder about shifting loads with military transport crashes.

It's almost as if the government has a dirty like secret it wishes to hide, and let's not forget ALP complicity in this too. Our moral compass is seriously awry in this country at the moment.
100%

Didn't the ALP support this as well?
Rather keep their dirty secrets hidden, than provide care for children.
Scum, the lot of them.

What in the ****!?!

Be prepared for spin about how the Drs are just in it for the money, and are bad media whores.

They don't want medical staff to carry out their job.

You know, the mandatory reporting of child abuse and neglect.

I get sacked if I fail to do so (rightly, IMO)

Poor Billy just cant take a trick.
Too much sit down time with his lawyers and getting his story bolted down with union buddies before his RC appearance ?

He voted for the new border force...but didnt know anything about it ?

Not a good look at all.

Someone throw him a bone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a dreadful step backwards and borderline corrupt to get Fred Nile's vote in the upper house.

Ethics check box removed from school enrolment form

Providers of ethics classes in NSW primary schools have responded with outrage to a change to the school enrolment form which removes a clear choice between ethics and scripture....The previous form provided a box that could be ticked by parents who wanted to enrol their children in ethics classes. The new form has removed that box and advises parents of children who do not attend scripture to contact their school about information on alternatives, including ethics.

The government has denied the new enrolment form is part of a political deal with Christian Democratic Party MP Fred Nile, who opposes ethics classes and whose support the government needed to pass its electricity privatisation legislation last month. Mr Hogan said the new form made it more difficult for parents to enrol their children in ethics classes and accused the government of making it "as hard as possible for children to do ethics classes". Parents who want their children to attend ethics classes would need to "intervene personally" by approaching their school principal.

How did this come about?

Bruce Hogan, the chairman of the charity and ethics class provider Primary Ethics, was angered by the change, saying it was a "profound step back". "We are really disappointed," he said. "This has deliberately eliminated the option for parents to tell the school they would like their child to attend ethics lessons.
"In my view, the Christian lobby group has successfully lobbied Premier Mike Baird. His own personal beliefs and his need to keep Fred Nile on side for the next four years has overridden the rights of parents."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ethics-check-box-removed-from-school-enrolment-form-20150703-gi49vi.html

A thread to discuss topics of the day that don't really justify their own thread.

Who are the Mods here these days? On what criteria are topics judged to not justify their own thread?

The post above (which was originally a thread) is pretty big news in NSW and touches not only education but also a type of electoral bribery.

It doesn't show the lead up but the cops went in a bit too hard, I hope the kids parents get a good lawyer and they sue the cops.

So my Greek friends do you

A. Want pay your debts
or
B. Want to welsh on them.

Amazingly the Greeks said they would rather welsh. Wonders will never cease to occur.

Why on earth the peoples of Europe allowed their Governments lend them billions when there was no hope of them ever repaying is absolutely beyond me.

There'll be a write off. The taxpayer of holland/Germany/Finland will get stung and serves them right for giving alcohol to a drunk.

Seriously these idiots in Greece celebrating....celebrating what? That their government is dumb enough to refuse to pay back their debts? Now nobody will lend them any more money and the whole country will go into anarchy. I give it 2 months before rioting starts.

Democracy and referendums are fundamentally flawed. Just because 51% of people vote for something, doesn't make it a good thing. How can 51% of the 'average joes' have an educated understanding of a particular issue, like Greece. Its like wine tasting; how can you ask someone who doesn't know what good wine tastes like; or what constitutes good wine if they aren't educated to do so.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-28/cambodia-khmer-rouge-somalai-somala-seng-landmines/6116600
Interesting account of a child in the Khmer Rouge controlled Cambodia
She first heard the Khmer Rouge through a crackling loudspeaker on an old truck. The soldiers drove around the streets of Pailin, telling the locals they only needed to pack for a few days while they cleared the town.

It was 1975, Somalai Seng was 11. She didn't understand this was the start of an episode that would shape her life, her sister's life and the future of their country.

Somalai and Somala's parents got them to pack what they could carry and, along with the rest of the villagers, they set off on a march once the sun went down. The Khmer Rouge only allowed them to walk at night, so they couldn't see the bodies of hundreds of others who had already been killed.

"They said, 'Keep going, you cannot go back.' We thought, why does the Khmer Rouge make us walk in the night time, not the day time," Somalai says.

"We didn't know. After some people, they smelt the stink from the bodies and they see a lot of bodies in the water near the road.

"The parents did not tell the kids because the kids would be very scared. We said dad, 'What is this stink?' And he said it was dead fish. We never see. He made us walk in the middle of the road, not on the edge.

Seriously these idiots in Greece celebrating....celebrating what? That their government is dumb enough to refuse to pay back their debts? Now nobody will lend them any more money and the whole country will go into anarchy. I give it 2 months before rioting starts.

When the GFC crisis hit Greece, the European Commission passed a new law that allowed banks to steal the deposits of Greek citizens to stay afloat. A small group of financiers and bankers collectively stole the life savings of the Greek populace - are you OK with that? The fact that 39% of the Greeks voted YES is a sad indictment on the efficacy and power of propaganda.

I'm sick of the narrative that the Greek government is not honouring its commitments and endless irrelevant analogies about an individual taking out a loan and refusing to pay it back.

German banks went out lending irresponsibly and, when those investments went belly up in the GFC, the IMF, ECB and EC colluded to force Greece to accept bailout funds to give to the Greek banks to pay off the private creditors and transfer all the risk to the Greek state in order to ensure that the Euro was propped up. Enforced austerity since then has done nothing but wreck that economy and made the debt more an more unmanageable.

This was never a bailout of Greece, it was a bailout of powerful European banks who got their government puppets to lower them down in the lifeboats while the people of Greece looked on from the deck of the Titanic.

There's talk of Greece printing counterfeit Euros and releasing them into circulation. I bet Merkel is shitting her pants over that scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back