News 2015 Saints Media Thread (please use player threads for player-specific news/articles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of his others are hilarious:

For the GC game:

Sniff. Sniff.

That’s the sound of me being upset about how things are working out for the

Suns.

Isn’t it wonderful how everyone involved is pretending they had no idea about this all going on? I’ve seen better acting onHome and Away.

There’s no doubt that setting up a team on the Gold Coast is like invading Russia in the winter (snow comparisons aside).

Time after time it has failed in every code. The AFL should have learnt from history, I mean, even Clive Palmer couldn’t make it work and he brought dinosaurs back to life (may have been Jurassic World not Clive, check before filing this or it would be super embarrassing).

To me, GWS makes more sense than the Gold Coast and the Giants makes little sense to me. Let the Lions cover the Gold Coast, it would have been cheaper and far more sensible.

Anyway, North Melbourne should have this covered given a fair chunk of the Suns players didn’t sleep this week due to wondering when the Australian Crime Commission would kick down the door.

On North, Brad Scott is back this week although he won’t coach. I wonder how long they’ll leave that in place?

Brad’s pretty lucky he didn’t have John Barker as an assistant; he may never have gotten back.​

Not a lot from Tony Elshaugh on the road to the draft podcast. Obviously didn't give anything away, little bit about character playing a big part in Billings and McCartin, will look at all areas to improve the list, etc etc. As predicted they didn't have time for Twitter questions.

Not a lot from Tony Elshaugh on the road to the draft podcast. Obviously didn't give anything away, little bit about character playing a big part in Billings and McCartin, will look at all areas to improve the list, etc etc. As predicted they didn't have time for Twitter questions.

From Rohan Connolly's column in tomorrow's Age:

"The strides St Kilda made under Alan Richardson weren't so obvious in his first year as coach, with only four wins for the season, but they were more apparent from early in 2015.

The Saints lost narrowly to Greater Western Sydney, beat Gold Coast convincingly, and held a handy lead against Carlton before going under. A major statement was made when they somehow hauled back a 55-point deficit against the Western Bulldogs in round six for a famous victory.

But the continued growth of this young group really is something to behold. Even that amazing second-half effort paled by comparison with a truly devastating effort against Essendon on Sunday that yielded St Kilda's biggest winning margin over the Bombers.

The Saints' pressure has been a constant all season. It should have earned them victory last week against the Western Bulldogs, a poor 10-minute period and some better conversion all that stood between what would now be three wins in a row.

But on Sunday we saw that Richardson's team is more than a squad of emerging young talent that knows how to make more-fancied opponents fight tooth and nail. It can also play some seriously good football.

The Saints are beginning to develop some impressive midfield armoury, the performances of David Armitage and Jack Steven already a feature, but the rapid emergence of the likes of Jack Lonie and Jack Sinclair adding more weight still.

Throw in Jarryn Geary, Jack Newnes, Jimmy Webster and the two most impressive products of last year's crop, Luke Dunstan and Jack Billings, the latter of whom didn't play against the Dons, and you have a core group around whom several seasons, not just the next couple, can be based.

The forward set-up looks a lot more potent, too, with Josh Bruce and Nick Riewoldt combining for nine goals on Sunday. And the numbers are telling their own tale at both ends of the ground.

Last year, St Kilda averaged just 67.2 points per game. After the towelling of the Bombers, that average stands at 87.2. And a 20-points per game improvement, particularly in the current low-scoring environment, is huge. Defensively also, the Saints have shed 14 points per game.

The bottom line here is that StKilda have now already won one more game than for all of 2014, with nine still left to play. There may be several more left in them yet.

Good list management, smart recruiting, and coaching from a man well-versed in player development is paying plenty of dividends already for the Saints. And, clearly, the best is still to come."

how nice is this article from the Saints

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-02/sinclair-elevated

How nice are sinclaris words about tom curren? I find this truly impressive.

.... “I’m rapt that I’ve got the opportunity to potentially play AFL again,” Sinclair told SAINTS.com.au.

“It’s really disappointing for Tom. He’s a really hard worker and everyone respects the way he goes about it. It’s unfortunate that this had to happen for me to get an opportunity.”.....

From Rohan Connolly's column in tomorrow's Age:

"The strides St Kilda made under Alan Richardson weren't so obvious in his first year as coach, with only four wins for the season, but they were more apparent from early in 2015.

The Saints lost narrowly to Greater Western Sydney, beat Gold Coast convincingly, and held a handy lead against Carlton before going under. A major statement was made when they somehow hauled back a 55-point deficit against the Western Bulldogs in round six for a famous victory.

But the continued growth of this young group really is something to behold. Even that amazing second-half effort paled by comparison with a truly devastating effort against Essendon on Sunday that yielded St Kilda's biggest winning margin over the Bombers.

The Saints' pressure has been a constant all season. It should have earned them victory last week against the Western Bulldogs, a poor 10-minute period and some better conversion all that stood between what would now be three wins in a row.

But on Sunday we saw that Richardson's team is more than a squad of emerging young talent that knows how to make more-fancied opponents fight tooth and nail. It can also play some seriously good football.

The Saints are beginning to develop some impressive midfield armoury, the performances of David Armitage and Jack Steven already a feature, but the rapid emergence of the likes of Jack Lonie and Jack Sinclair adding more weight still.

Throw in Jarryn Geary, Jack Newnes, Jimmy Webster and the two most impressive products of last year's crop, Luke Dunstan and Jack Billings, the latter of whom didn't play against the Dons, and you have a core group around whom several seasons, not just the next couple, can be based.

The forward set-up looks a lot more potent, too, with Josh Bruce and Nick Riewoldt combining for nine goals on Sunday. And the numbers are telling their own tale at both ends of the ground.

Last year, St Kilda averaged just 67.2 points per game. After the towelling of the Bombers, that average stands at 87.2. And a 20-points per game improvement, particularly in the current low-scoring environment, is huge. Defensively also, the Saints have shed 14 points per game.

The bottom line here is that StKilda have now already won one more game than for all of 2014, with nine still left to play. There may be several more left in them yet.

Good list management, smart recruiting, and coaching from a man well-versed in player development is paying plenty of dividends already for the Saints. And, clearly, the best is still to come."

Where's the love button.

Where's the love button.
Little_Man_In_The_Canoe_by_cajunattack.jpg

Found it... ;)

Sinclair was on SEN this morning.

I know this isn't much help now, but I'm sure they'll stream it soon if you want to listen.

Boring interview TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strangely Sinclair said he supported Carlton but dreamed about playing for St.Kildao_O
Given how Carlton were when he was going up dreams about playing for them would be nightmares

Just watched the usual Monday night lineup of Footy panel shows. Lots about Phil Walsh of course and rightly so. But when they got to the on field stuff, if you did not already know you would have been hard pressed working out who Essendon played. The almost total lack of credit for St Kilda's performance was predictable, pathetic and consistent across all the shows, across all the channels. The only indication of Essendon's opponent was comments along the lines of "they lost to a bottom 4 team", "they lost to last years wooden spooners".
A total show of disrespect to the St Kilda football team.
So I turned it off and watched the game again, for the 3rd time and a thought occurred to me. How appropriate it was that we wore predominantly white and they wore predominantly black. The forces of good against the forces of evil. The pure infectious joy of the young enthusiastic Saints against the jaded, weary Bombers, playing with a spirit corrupted by the "win at any cost" attitude of an arrogant and delusional oligarchy.

Just watched the usual Monday night lineup of Footy panel shows. Lots about Phil Walsh of course and rightly so. But when they got to the on field stuff, if you did not already know you would have been hard pressed working out who Essendon played. The almost total lack of credit for St Kilda's performance was predictable, pathetic and consistent across all the shows, across all the channels. The only indication of Essendon's opponent was comments along the lines of "they lost to a bottom 4 team", "they lost to last years wooden spooners".
So I turned it off and watched the game again, for the 3rd time and a thought occurred to me. How appropriate it was that we wore predominantly white and they wore predominantly black. The forces of good against the forces of evil. The pure infectious joy of the young enthusiastic Saints against the jaded, weary Bombers, playing with a spirit corrupted by the "win at any cost" attitude of an arrogant and delusional oligarchy.

Talking Footy did a pretty good segment on us if you can find it. Its near the start (15min in or something).

To be fair though, Essendon's performance was the worst I have ever seen a football team dish up live, even, IMO, worse than we were against Hawthorn last year. Sure we played well, but let's not kid ourselves, we were a bottom 4(or 5?) team until we beat them, and we did win the spoon last year. A 10 goal win would have everyone saying "how good are the Saints", but the specifics of the result from the weekend really says more about Essendon than it does us, especially with us kicking 15 goals in the last half

To be fair though, Essendon's performance was the worst I have ever seen a football team dish up live, even, IMO, worse than we were against Hawthorn last year. Sure we played well, but let's not kid ourselves, we were a bottom 4(or 5?) team until we beat them, and we did win the spoon last year. A 10 goal win would have everyone saying "how good are the Saints", but the specifics of the result from the weekend really says more about Essendon than it does us, especially with us kicking 15 goals in the last half

agree. if we had beaten essendon by by 30 points, it would have been how great were the saints. but to beat them by 110 is something totally different. When we beat them by 108 points a few years back it was the same, all about essendon nothing about the saints.

if we win next week, then the media will change.

Nail. Head.

Though you have to allow for footy media to chase after Hird and Essendon, that's what they do, but really. It was painfully obvious neglect. 110 points! You can't kick 18 own goals in a match, someone's must be cracking the whip, no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back