Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes its still raw and too soon but the show must go.
my ideal choice like many others is John Worsfold... the man had walshy next to him for years. The players would look up to woosha and respect him.
Woosha has a part time role at the crows this year and would know the ins and outs and the ideas that Phil Walsh had.
Roo and the rest of the board need to go hard and try and get woosha. lets just hope woosha has the passion to coach.
Bassett is a big no for me.
2nd cab off the rank would be a Ratten.

Yes its still raw and too soon but the show must go.
my ideal choice like many others is John Worsfold... the man had walshy next to him for years. The players would look up to woosha and respect him.
Woosha has a part time role at the crows this year and would know the ins and outs and the ideas that Phil Walsh had.
Roo and the rest of the board need to go hard and try and get woosha. lets just hope woosha has the passion to coach.
Bassett is a big no for me.
2nd cab off the rank would be a Ratten.
I don't know - Bassett looks like he has a lot to offer the club. He would bleed for AFC.

Ratten is definitely someone I would embrace as coach. Massive respect for him, and given the way our other movements from Carlton have gone is a sure-thing to bring success!!

One thing that Phil did well (and differently to some of our past coaches) was communicate with ALL the people in our club. Players, staff, everyone was on Phil's radar. It made an immediate and lasting impact. It reminded me of Ross Lyon in the "Chosen Few" doco. That trait seems to be most important to me.

Again, I trust in Fagan and Roo to bring what we need.

head coach: John Wosefold
senior assistant: nathan bassett
Forward coach: David Teague
midfield coach: Scott Comporele
defensive coach: Darren Milburn
Ruck Coach: Dean Cox

director of coaching: Peter Sumich

SANFL coach: Ryan O'keefe.
leadership: Darreb Glass
development coaches:

Last edited:
Seems like Campo will be the interim coach. He wouldn't be my first choice. But if he can steer the ship through some pretty tough waters, you'd have to give him the gig.

Bassett still sticks in my mind... Seems like he has the right amount of weirdness to do the job. However, he'd bring an awful flooding defensive gameplan. Where Walsh was trying to steer footy back to the traditional positional game.

defensive coach: Nathan Bassett

SANFL coacvh: Peter Sumich
development coaches: Ryan O'keefe.
Some of those would be really tough to get. I like it though. I'd there a salary cap on coaching staff?

Sumich ain't leaving a Senior Assistant role in his home state to come be our SANFL coach.

Not sure why Bomber Thompson keeps getting a mention - wasn't he scathing of the AFC after Sanderson's dismissal? I've voted for Bassett, although I do worry about an overly defensive game plan too. Wouldn't be opposed to the Woosha deal and a succession plan either.

I know it is very unlikely, but once Alastair Clarkson has completed the threepete, we should target him. He may view it as the next logical step in his career to take over from a former friend and colleague.
Alistair Clarkson living in a city full of Port fans. What could go wrong?

There will be a handul of clubs looking for new coaches.
Adelaide
Carlton
North Melb
Essendon.

Well if North don't make the 8 they will sack Scott. Hird is a gonna

Woosha must be the number 1 man to head hunt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QUOTE="Mike Smyth, post: 39465662, member: 136519"]For some reason Ratten reminds me of Gary Ayres.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've never been particularly inspired by Ratten, as much as Carlton went to s**t when he was replaced by Malthouse, they were still under performing considerably IMO under Ratten. I get the feeling he's a decent coach, but nothing more.

I think if we were to get an experienced senior coach, Worsefold is the one, he's still only 46 years old and has worked and succeeded at a club that very much mirrors our own over in WA. So he would have experience dealing with the challenges that face our club on a day to day basis. He's also probably the only one capable of stepping in and picking up where Walsh left off to a certain extent, whilst having the strength to put his own spin on it.

The other benefit being that he could potentially be brought in earlier than other coaches as he's not currently involved with a premiership tilt with another club and could thus spend time with Justin Reid/David Noble working on list management and attacking the trade period. He would also have time to work on attracting the assistants he wants.

It would mean we probably wouldn't be able to properly interview all the candidates, but we are in a relatively unique situation in that only 9 months previously we went through the same process and would likely know the field pretty well. Thus, we might feel comfortable making a decision early if Worsefold was keen for the job and he was the way we wanted to go.

Having said this, I'm not convinced Worsefold feels he's ready to take on another senior gig and we might have a better shot at bringing him in as a Senior Assistant to a less experienced coach.

Sumich ain't leaving a Senior Assistant role in his home state to come be our SANFL coach.

true - bring him over as a senior assistant. Woosha needs to bring someone he can trust and bounce negative ideas off that won't offend any current AFC people. He will need somewone to speak to during the tough times.

I dont get this. Our defence has been the shining light this year and Milburn is the only coach you want gone?

If you pardon the interruption, it's time for Bassett, a Crows man with a similar way about him to Waslh, seems the perfect next step for you.

He will also not even contemplate Carlton or Essendon unlike the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back