Universal Love The Prince, Harry and Me

Thought I would share my favourite Collingwood story. I have been following Collingwood for 44 years and Collingwood has been in my family since 1897.
As a youngster I used to go to training every Tuesday and Thursday without fail. Never missed. In those days you could just walk up and down the race and into the rooms any time you liked. As a kid you had free access to the players and the rooms at all times.
There was one particular night in the mid 70s when I was turned back at the inner door to the rooms by a burly doorman. I left pretty upset that I was unable to go to my beloved Pies rooms on training night at Victoria Park. As I walked out of the rooms two elderly men who I had often seen at training asked me what was wrong. I told them and one of the gentlemen picked me up in his arms and carried me down the rooms with the other elderly gentleman holding my shoulder as he walked beside me. The door man for some reason had no hesitation in letting the two old frail men in and I was not even questioned as to what I was doing there. The doorman almost bowed with respect. I was carried from player to player. I couldn't understand why I was treated like a god. It was only later when I left the rooms that my Nanna told me
those two old men who carried me down the rooms were more than just elderly old men who sat in the stands and didn't say a word. One was the immortal Prince of Fullbacks Jack Regan and the other was the legendary Harry Collier. I have never forgotten. I still treasure the autographs I got off them that night.

Jul 8, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought I would share my favourite Collingwood story. I have been following Collingwood for 44 years and Collingwood has been in my family since 1897.
As a youngster I used to go to training every Tuesday and Thursday without fail. Never missed. In those days you could just walk up and down the race and into the rooms any time you liked. As a kid you had free access to the players and the rooms at all times.
There was one particular night in the mid 70s when I was turned back at the inner door to the rooms by a burly doorman. I left pretty upset that I was unable to go to my beloved Pies rooms on training night at Victoria Park. As I walked out of the rooms two elderly men who I had often seen at training asked me what was wrong. I told them and one of the gentlemen picked me up in his arms and carried me down the rooms with the other elderly gentleman holding my shoulder as he walked beside me. The door man for some reason had no hesitation in letting the two old frail men in and I was not even questioned as to what I was doing there. The doorman almost bowed with respect. I was carried from player to player. I couldn't understand why I was treated like a god. It was only later when I left the rooms that my Nanna told me
those two old men who carried me down the rooms were more than just elderly old men who sat in the stands and didn't say a word. One was the immortal Prince of Fullbacks Jack Regan and the other was the legendary Harry Collier. I have never forgotten. I still treasure the autographs I got off them that night.
You had me with your thread title - thought it was going to be a story about former player Heritier Lumumba!

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Brilliant. I love stories about the old-time legends.

I think I read a story about Jack Regan making a crucial error late in his debut game that may have cost us the win.
Regan went up to Jock McHale after the game and apologised only to have Jock tell him to go jump in the lake.

Must have motivated the young fella!

Great story but gee, thank god it wasn't Albert Collier - not sure I would've opened a thread titled "The Prince, Albert and Me" :eek:

Great story but gee, thank god it wasn't Albert Collier - not sure I would've opened a thread titled "The Prince, Albert and Me" :eek:

Classic. Never met Leeta but have his autograph. Out of the old time legends he is my favourite. My Nan and Pop said he was the greatest player to ever play for Collingwood.

Classic. Never met Leeta but have his autograph. Out of the old time legends he is my favourite. My Nan and Pop said he was the greatest player to ever play for Collingwood.
Thought this was interesting - I reckon Buckley is building another "Machine"

upload_2015-7-6_16-37-2.png

Back