Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be worse. Not as doom and gloom as Barrett makes it sound: "flash point"

I think this is really bad. Obviously don't have my head in the sand enough to say that we're totally clean as a club but that Libba hasn't learnt his lesson hurts. And we've advised him to go to Thailand.

Thailand. Really. Come on guys.

Not looking too much into it, he's just too tempted to go out too often like myself sometimes. Missing meetings isn't going to do him any favors though

So the Mrs and I have won this competition....

View attachment 147973

View attachment 147974

Does anyone have any frickin idea what this will actually encompass?

Obviously it's a coaches breakfast, but what does that mean exactly? Will players be there? Would it be Bevo addressing his line coaches? Bevo and the line coaches addressing the 30 winners?

Have no idea! :drunk:
You've won a comp you know nothing about? :confused: Just go along ffs and post a full report here afterwards :p

So 3 Saturday night games in a row and a chance to show the AFL we can draw some viewers with exciting footy. Instead we win in the ugliest fashion in all 3. I'm thrilled we banked 12 points, but you really can't blame the AFL for not putting us on tv. All 3 games were shocking spectacles.

So 3 Saturday night games in a row and a chance to show the AFL we can draw some viewers with exciting footy. Instead we win in the ugliest fashion in all 3. I'm thrilled we banked 12 points, but you really can't blame the AFL for not putting us on tv. All 3 games were shocking spectacles.
We're not really doing ourselves any favours, are we?
We were playing entertaining footy when we weren't on FTA. The wins against Adelaide, GWS, West Coast were all higher quality games that were more entertaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think you can disregard the opposition's influence guys. Beveridge isn't sitting there saying, "Hey, how about we screw around with the ball a bit more this week, force ourselves wide and play some ugly footy?" Probably four out of our last five matches the opposition has set up very, very well behind the ball and our rapid ball movement has been largely negated. We don't kick the ball well as a side and we aren't a good contested marking team, so it's going to take some adjustment and time for us to compete in these situations, let alone be exciting. Sure, it's disappointing that it's timed like this, but you can't pin it solely on our players.

Don't think you can disregard the opposition's influence guys. Beveridge isn't sitting there saying, "Hey, how about we screw around with the ball a bit more this week, force ourselves wide and play some ugly footy?" Probably four out of our last five matches the opposition has set up very, very well behind the ball and our rapid ball movement has been largely negated. We don't kick the ball well as a side and we aren't a good contested marking team, so it's going to take some adjustment and time for us to compete in these situations, let alone be exciting. Sure, it's disappointing that it's timed like this, but you can't pin it solely on our players.
My thoughts exactly Dannnnnnnnnnnn.

Our Twitter person could really take a leaf out of the saints book. Their Twitter feed is superb.

Anyone see the Alex McKinnon story on 60 Mins? What a complete and utter disgrace that they (as per usual) reduced what could have been an uplifting, heart warming story into a witch hunt for Cameron Smith and the Storm. i used to enjoy that show but I think it is time to sin bin it. It is gutter journalism at its best. I reckon even Barrett would do a better job and that is saying something. Disgusting

You've won a comp you know nothing about? :confused: Just go along ffs and post a full report here afterwards :p

Alright, will do.

Went along this morning and walked into Barkers with the wife and I wearing our Bulldogs clobber. Immediately see a dozen people in suits / jackets etc. *, we're underdressed!

Sidle up to the only other people in Bulldogs clobber. Nope, they're not here for the contest (but they ARE Matt Fullers parents!). Other people start coming in casual clothing and Dogs clobber also, feel a bit more relieved. Turns out all the suits etc are the guys and gals from Slater & Gordon Sunshine office. Phew!

A very attractive blonde named Brooke introduces herself and takes us down the hall into the players theatrette. Bevo pops in, then pops out.

Ben Graham pops in and speaks about his footy career, his role at the dogs and his career OS in the NFL. Q and A with him is very interesting and he speaks pretty openly and candidly about the differences between NFL and AFL. He also passes out his Super Bowl ring for us to check out. That thing is damn heavy. If you hit someone with that thing you'd cause some serious injury.

Next is Luke and he gives us a great run down on his coaching principles, his keys to player development, some interesting insights into game day tactics (speaking very specifically about Saturday nights game, as well as referencing a few others), the inner workings of the club, it's leadership group and day-to-day activities. Absolutely fascinating stuff. Q and A with him is also very interesting, and a few levels above Graham.

Needless to say I was fascinated at the time, but as soon as I was out the door had forgotten half of it, but here's a few things that I found particularly interesting and / or have been talked about in differing threads here lately...

- Captains vote. Every player bar 2 votes was for Bob as Captain. Not sure if Bob is the type to vote for himself so if not that means only 1 person voted for someone else. Would've thought Moz would be considered more than that but I guess that shows Bobs standing at the club.

- The "icing the game" (or cue in the rack as Bevo called it) is NOT his plan. He would prefer them to run and gun until the end. He used the word "cooked" repeatedly when referring to the players at this time of the game. Obviously this is from having such a young side.

- In further reference to this he mentioned that we still need to massively improve our game tanks. Singled out Stringer and Toyd in this, but more as a point of reference, not bagging them out.

- Bevo and Graham both mentioned sending people back to VFL level to "work on their craft" and how important it is to have a VFL side so that we as a club can control game time, position, etc. Macrae was a very specific example of this. Crameri mentioned also for the fact the Coach and MC don't believe they're getting what they need / should be out of him right now. Unfortunately didn't get the chance to ask if he thought this was due to interrupted pre-season but I got that feeling.

- Sub rule. Coaches AND players want it gone. Categorically. No 2 doubts about it. Bev personally tells the player who will be Sub that week and apologises for it. Hates having to sub a player out due to the "embarrassment factor".

- Libba WAS voted into the leadership group. How he felt about it was not made clear, but he is definitely in there.

- Club (everyone) needs to still work on communication. Example of Saturday night, Tory Dickson being sent down to be an extra man in defence from his position on the wing. Failed to notify anyone from the Fwd line to fill his spot, therefore creating a loose Carlton player on the wing. Error was spotted and fixed eventually before any damage done but highlighted that that's the sort of thing that gives opposition momentum and loses matches.

- Someone brought up the St Kilda loss. You could see it hurt Bevo. He said the whole thing was just shocking. Was looking for a 100-point kill and what happened shook him. Mentioned that having Clay still in the room at 1/2 time address was probably a mistake. Said that many senior players (and we probably know who that is seeing as we have so few) have told him that they "mentally checked out". Also mentioned Stringer's "gee up" at 1/2 time and got the feeling he wasn't happy about him doing that.

That's all I can remember for now, will update further if I remember more.

As an aside they gave away a prize for the "best question" which the better half won. A signed footy, awesome!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436176185.957761.jpg

Also had the Robert Rose cup there (I'm assuming for some promo photos)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436176233.707951.jpg

And then if the day wasn't topped off already, look who I bumped into at Barkers afterwards... Damn near wet myself!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436176296.334163.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, will do.

Went along this morning and walked into Barkers with the wife and I wearing our Bulldogs clobber. Immediately see a dozen people in suits / jackets etc. *, we're underdressed!

Sidle up to the only other people in Bulldogs clobber. Nope, they're not here for the contest (but they ARE Matt Fullers parents!). Other people start coming in casual clothing and Dogs clobber also, feel a bit more relieved. Turns out all the suits etc are the guys and gals from Slater & Gordon Sunshine office. Phew!

A very attractive blonde named Brooke introduces herself and takes us down the hall into the players theatrette. Bevo pops in, then pops out.

Ben Graham pops in and speaks about his footy career, his role at the dogs and his career OS in the NFL. Q and A with him is very interesting and he speaks pretty openly and candidly about the differences between NFL and AFL. He also passes out his Super Bowl ring for us to check out. That thing is damn heavy. If you hit someone with that thing you'd cause some serious injury.

Next is Luke and he gives us a great run down on his coaching principles, his keys to player development, some interesting insights into game day tactics (speaking very specifically about Saturday nights game, as well as referencing a few others), the inner workings of the club, it's leadership group and day-to-day activities. Absolutely fascinating stuff. Q and A with him is also very interesting, and a few levels above Graham.

Needless to say I was fascinated at the time, but as soon as I was out the door had forgotten half of it, but here's a few things that I found particularly interesting and / or have been talked about in differing threads here lately...

- Captains vote. Every player bar 2 votes was for Bob as Captain. Not sure if Bob is the type to vote for himself so if not that means only 1 person voted for someone else. Would've thought Moz would be considered more than that but I guess that shows Bobs standing at the club.

- The "icing the game" (or cue in the rack as Bevo called it) is NOT his plan. He would prefer them to run and gun until the end. He used the word "cooked" repeatedly when referring to the players at this time of the game. Obviously this is from having such a young side.

- In further reference to this he mentioned that we still need to massively improve our game tanks. Singled out Stringer and Toyd in this, but more as a point of reference, not bagging them out.

- Bevo and Graham both mentioned sending people back to VFL level to "work on their craft" and how import it is to have a VFL side so that we as a club can control game time, position, etc. Macrae was a very specific example of this. Crameri mentioned also for the fact the Coach and MC don't believe they're getting what they need / should be out of him right now. Unfortunately didn't get the chance to ask if he thought this was due to interrupted pre-season but I got that feeling.

- Sub rule. Coaches AND players want it gone. Categorically. No 2 doubts about it. Bev personally tells the player who will be Sub that week and apologises for it. Hates having to sub a player out due to what he calls the "embarrassment factor".

- Libba WAS voted into the leadership group. How he felt about it was not made clear, but he is definitely in there.

- Club (everyone) needs to still work on communication. Example of Saturday night, Tory Dickson being sent down to be an extra man in defence from his position on the wing. Failed to notify anyone from the Fwd line to fill his spot, therefore creating a loose Carlton player on the wing. Error was spotted and fixed eventually before any damage done but highlighted that that's the sort of thing that gives opposition momentum and loses matches.

- Someone brought up the St Kilda loss. You could see it hurt Bevo. He said the whole thing was just shocking. Was looking for a 100-point kill and what happened shook him. Mentioned that having Clay still in the room at 1/2 time address was probably a mistake. Said that many senior players (and we probably know who that is seeing as we have so few) have told him that they "mentally checked out". Also mentioned Stringer's "gee up" at 1/2 time and got the feeling he wasn't happy about him doing that.

That's all I can remember for now, will update further if I remember more.

As an aside they gave away a prize for the "best question" which the better half won. A signed footy, awesome!!!
View attachment 149996

Also had the Robert Rose cup there (I'm assuming for some promo photos)
View attachment 149997

And then if the day wasn't topped off already, look who I bumped into at Barkers afterwards... Damn near wet myself!
View attachment 149998
Brilliant insights, mate. Cheers.

Relevant to my post above ;)

The Bulldogs have lost the most amount of 4th quarters in the league this year. Well we're equal last with Brisbane having only won 23% of 4th quarters.

On the positive side, we've won the 3rd most first quarters(62%) and the 5th most 3rd quarters(65%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back