List Mgmt. Nick Bowen: Trade Scott Thompson, Lachlan Hansen, Lindsay Thomas or Shaun Atley

Remove this Banner Ad

How the **** can we have 24 players aged 25 on our list or under yet we have the second oldest 22 running around onfield? That just blows my mind!

Because young players don't get a look in.

It doesn't matter who we get if we turn guys like Atley, Bastinac, Harper and Black into plodders who wouldn't get a game at a decent team.

Development and player standards needs an overhaul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because young players don't get a look in.

I'd prefer to to bottom out for a couple of years building the list and playing the young fellas to eventually have a crack at the flag like St Kilda are rather than wallow in mediocrity whilst our chances pass us by.

Stand alone VFL team.

Meh, that really isn't the burning issue. Half of our players never hit the VFL and those players are more of the problem.

Core skills are not good enough.
Leadership not good enough.
Gameplan is Shizenhousen
Accountability, effort and gut running just not there.
Structure is poor, we have bad balance, too many flankers, too many utility players, not enough outside with pace and skill.

We are just ticking too few boxes.

But ultimately, it comes down to workrate, we have too many players who if they are not at 85%+ of their maximum capacity give us very little, we have too many players that can't cruise and play good enough and we can't sustain our football all season with the foot to the floor so once they go into mid early/season cruise mode at about 60% their lack of natural ability produced too low a standard.

Ie, if Boomer drops to 60% effectiveness he can still be a damaging player if we can get the ball to him in a dangerous position around half forward. Gibson is garbage at 60% and a lot of players go from solid to s**t at that cruise level so we push hard, can't sustain it, drop off and we get smashed/embarrassed and we pick up the intensity again and we look shaky but okay, get some wins then they go back to cruise mode and we are miles off it.

We need more complete footballers, too many are one-dimensional or sporadic in their ability to perform, make a lot of mistakes, very rarely hit great form and not for very long. These are warning signs of plodders and list cloggers. We will play better, but we wont sustain it.

The pass mark for getting consistent games at our club is way too low, you should be cruising at a 6/10 to get regular game time, but when required push your game to the 8-9 mark, a lot of our players can cruise 40% or lower which isn't good enough and their base skill level doesn't afford them that magnitude of drop off while allowing us to be a strong team. Our guys are also incapable of flicking the switch on from cruise mode.

Great article. Just saying what most of us are thinking or have said here. No way the coach stays for that sort of mini rebuild though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If our supporters are saying trade 2 backs, one of our only quick players and our most dangerous forward of the last 3 years then our fan base is dumber than I thought.

Excellent article by Nick. Some home truths told there.

I think we should definitely trade someone maybe Swallow but also think we need to pick up a mature age recruit with speed and grit.

I have been singing this guys praises for years and he continues to impress. He won best & fairest at under 18 level at eastern ranges all while being captain. He's a fitness fanatic training every night on his own at his nearby park. Played for Frankston last year and won their best & fairest. Probably leading their best & fairest again this year. He has speed on the outside, excellent tackler, skills, makes guys better around him. At 20 years old is ready to go. Just needs an opportunity. Exactly the guy we need. Been in the best players 7 of 11 games this year for Frankston all in a team that gets thumped every week.

I'd prefer that only North can pick him up but a guy that has worked has hard as him deserves a chance.

Last edited:
Swallow off limits? Turn it up! Mediocrity beckons? We are already there! We have been for years. So yeah Turn it up! Sure trade but it does depend on what we pick up and list balance. If we ended up trading all 4 of the players mentioned by Nick that would be idiotic. Maybe one, possibly 2 tops. But let me reiterate it would depend on what we got on the flip side. At the end of the season players will retire. For starters McMahon, Adams and Grima won't be there. Yah can bet yah bottom dollar that 3 or 4 others will also be delisted or retired. How many picks are we to have in the draft? And what happens if we start a run of wins? What then? Talk now of trading players could be a good thing. Certain players may finally pull their finger out of their sphincter. But if our season continues on this shitful path then the first 2 that have to go are Scotts and Joyces. :stern look

Swallow off limits? Turn it up! Mediocrity beckons? We are already there! We have been for years. So yeah Turn it up! Sure trade but it does depend on what we pick up and list balance. If we ended up trading all 4 of the players mentioned by Nick that would be idiotic. Maybe one, possibly 2 tops. But let me reiterate it would depend on what we got on the flip side. At the end of the season players will retire. For starters McMahon, Adams and Grima won't be there. Yah can bet yah bottom dollar that 3 or 4 others will also be delisted or retired. How many picks are we to have in the draft? And what happens if we start a run of wins? What then? Talk now of trading players could be a good thing. Certain players may finally pull their finger out of their sphincter. But if our season continues on this shitful path then the first 2 that have to go are Scotts and Joyces. :stern look

Everything you said is absolutely 100%, can't trade all of them but 2 tops and definitely 1 needs to be done.

If Scott Thompson has some sort of bizarre Brian lake like currency then for the love of God trade him.

Can't imagine bastinac being worth anything. Somewhere around 20-30.

Atley is worth something but I'd rather bet on him coming good. I'd sooner trade another atley in from another club than I would be getting rid of our own.

Hansen is divisive. I'm a fan.

Yeah. No. Offering up players for trade would be one of the fastest ways to completely demoralise the entire playing group (and they're already most of the way there). Plus the odds of us getting a first round pick for any of those players is fairly average - maybe one for Lindsay. That'd be it. We definitely need to make some changes, but tossing out quality players to chase mediocre picks is not one of them.

This board has far too many people who think calls of 'trade the captain' and 'tank for picks' are good ones. If you ask me, suggesting our great club should even consider either of those things is more of a disgrace than anything our players have put up on the field so far this year (and those efforts take some beating).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back