No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wada have until the July 8th according to Chip. Makes no difference.

Dank holding 34 guys hostage now. If he doesn't appeal then we rock and roll. Appeals and it drags on.

Dank was on MMM a few weeks ago and he said he won't be appealing but going to court.

I expect WADA still have to lodge an outline of their case by the deadline, regardless of the request for stay. Perhaps they'll be excuse non-lodgement if the stay is granted, but it is hard to imagine their case could go forward if the stay was refused and they hadn't lodged.

Utter contemptible bastards. The is delay for delay's sake.

"Two senior players from each side were drug tested after the match in what is believed to be a first for the EDFL and an unprecedented move for community football."

In effect its the fourth tier of footy This is division 2 of the EDFL.

stop reading the HUN so much then :p

sorry, my bad.

THE agonising wait for the Essendon 34 could drag on as the World Anti-Doping Agency seeks a stay of proceedings in its case against Stephen Dank.

Gun US anti-doping lawyer Richard Young, acting for WADA in its appeal against the players and Dank, has written to the Court of Arbitration for Sport asking for the Dank case to be put on hold until the former Bombers sports scientist declares whether he will appeal his AFL lifetime ban.

CAS has previously ruled that Dank’s case will be heard by the same panel as the players and is considering whether the two matters should be “consolidated”.

Players’ lawyers will strongly argue against consolidation if a Dank appeal to the AFL Appeals Board was to cause further delay at CAS.

Following the Young letter of July 3, CAS wrote to other parties asking them to state their position by today.

story-fni5f6kv-1227431131772

“A party’s silence in this respect will be deemed acceptance of WADA’s request,” the CAS letter said.

“In the event of an objection, such request will be referred to the President of the Appeals Arbitration Division.”

Letter dates July 3 - Essendon played July 5. No surprise at the result.

The AFL has not opposed WADA’s stay application.

In his letter, Young said there had been some confusion about whether Dank had initially appealed the April 17 AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal decision to find him guilty of 10 of 34 alleged anti-doping offences.

“Based on recent correspondence submitted to CAS, WADA now understands that the AFL Appeals Board has decided that Mr Dank validly filed an appeal with the Appeals Board from the decision,” Young said in the letter.

“Given the uncertainty as to Mr Dank’s intention to pursue an appeal … WADA requests that CAS stay proceedings.”

Young will lead WADA’s attempted prosecution of 34 current and former Bombers players for the use of the banned peptide Thymosin Beta-4.

The players were cleared of the charge by the AFL tribunal earlier this year.

WADA has also appealed the 20 charges against Dank not sustained by the tribunal.

Meanwhile, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority yesterday confirmed it had been contracted by AFL Victoria to drug test players in local footy.

The Herald Sun revealed on Sunday that players from Essendon and District Football League sides Doutta Stars and Craigieburn had been tested by ASADA from Saturday.

Doutta Stars are coached by former Essendon hard man Dean Wallis and the ASADA visit occurred just a week after Dank appeared at a Doutta club function.

But the Herald Sun understands there is no link between Dank’s appearance and that of drug testers.

I expect WADA still have to lodge an outline of their case by the deadline, regardless of the request for stay. Perhaps they'll be excuse non-lodgement if the stay is granted, but it is hard to imagine their case could go forward if the stay was refused and they hadn't lodged.

Utter contemptible bastards. The is delay for delay's sake.

I like your logic on both counts.

Last edited:
Too much confusion right now. Correct me if I am wrong but the article said wada has asked cas for proceedings to be put on hold pending Danks decision to appeal but all parties must agree, if not the head of CAS will review and make a decision on wether the cases are to be consolidated. The article then says the afl has not objected which does not make sense because they are not a party in the cas appeal correct? Surely the players wont agree and the head of CAS will then make the decision.

Doesnt say how long the head of cas will take to make the decision though. Hopefully this in answered soon.

Last edited:
Too much confusion right now. Correct me if I am wrong but the article said wada has asked cas for proceedings to be put on hold pending Danks decision to appeal but all parties must agree, if not the head of CAS will review and make a decision on wether the cases are to be consolidated. The article then says the afl has not objected which does not make sense because they are not a party in the cas appeal correct? Surely the players wont agree and the head of CAS will then make the decision.

Doesnt say how long thenhead of cas will take to make the decision though. Hopefully this in answered soon.
They've got superstar Youngy on board though who the CAS will do anything for. He's never lost you know?

that was prior to the news about them asking for a stay.

Doesnt say how long the head of cas will take to make the decision though. Hopefully this in answered soon.

I reckon our chances are in the range of about 1% of this falling into our favour. The WADA and ASADA silks have played us for 2 years on their home ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fifth. EDFL div 2 is the third tier division in the comp.
It was Div 1 which is the second senior tier.

EDIT:
It goes -
Premier (Senior, reserves, u18's)
Div 1 (Senior [Doutta Stars are in this comp], Reserves, u18's)
Div 2 (Senior, Reserves, U18's).

So does that mean they have bought themselves 2 days? What was the point of this then?

I'd say the 2 days only amounts to interpretation of when the 45 day extension CAS granted WADA started from.

If QC Neil Clelland, who will be representing the players at CAS, is worth his salt, he should be kicking on CAS' door asking what the **** is going on regarding this latest farce with WADA wanting to wait on Dank.

You wonder whether WADA actually consider the mental welfare of the athletes in these circumstances and when considering player bans.

The players have been carrying this overhanging burden of a possible ban for over 3 years. Although they have been allowed to play during this time, you could argue that an athlete that has tested positive and been banned for 2 years actually would suffer less mentally than the players at Essendon have suffered.

It would seem grossly unjust if, after a 3 year investigation that has largely been dragged out in the court of public opinion, CAS then banned the players for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back