Who is the AFLs "Mr Marketable?"

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think it's Buddy. Most of the other amazing or exciting players are quite 'bland' for lack of a better word personality wise. Ablett, Fyfe and Pendles all seem like normal everyday blokes who just so happen to be amongst the best players in the league. Buddy is a 2m tall athletic freak who isn't comparable to anyone else who has played. Has a balance between socialite party boy who dates models and crashes cars while being consistently brilliant year after year. A polarising character with very unique talents and good looks who occasionally does stupid things both on and off field. Aussies respect cleanskins but are intrigued by people rough around the edges. I reckon he gets the crowd more excited than all others and was a big reason Sydney chased him so hard (they were barely breaking even while winning flags from memory).

579771-robbo.jpg

Cotchin is the shittest captain in the AFL, incredibly soft, weak willed in his interviews, and has the charisma of a Bryce Gibbs contested mark.

Probably Fyfe. People in Victoria only care about Freo because of him. Gets so much hype and umpire love - great player, love the man and the footballer, but definitely a bit of over obsession goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

depends entirely what you mean by marketable.
if you mean selling jumpers and sponsorship dollars- Hodge by the length of flemington straight
if you mean identifiable with the league even by those that don't follow it, It's Ablett or Franklin.
If you mean its someone with admiration and respect from within footy universally its Pendles.
If you mean highlight reels and selling the game, It is any of the best 3 senior players at any club with bonus points if they are able to speak without sounding like a plank of wood. You then consider which markets you want to push the most and choose the in flavour club in that market at the time and weigh it against the negative impact of that player being the poster boy of the league in markets you don't need to push.

Any one of of Pendlebury, Fyfe, Gazza, Nic Nat, and possibly Cameron as he gains more exposure as one of the most dominant forwards in the competition.

All squeaky clean, talented and level headed athletes.

And O'Meara can't be very far behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taylor Walker when he held that little girls hand.
Thankfully we all know the context of this post.

Otherwise, it just reads as really creepy.

Not just how they play or look guys

A bit extreme here, but if they were to commit a serious crime, the media would be all "boys will be boys"

Steve Johnson is a good example of it
Never seen a player get away with more from the media
I can understand that Stevie J is not always flavour of the month with opposition fans (or his own fans on occasion) but please enlighten me to how the media protect him?

As far as I can recall any misdemeanour that SJ has been involved in has got plenty of coverage and reach from a media perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back