Trade hypotheticals (2015 version)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a hypothetical but what are guesses of Selwood's compo if he goes?

Contract length/size obviously uncertain.

Age wise he is six months younger than Frawley (well 18 months but it's a year later...).

Depends on the size of contract geelong offers him but I would say 3 years 450k ish which I would say gets you band 3 (end of first round).you might get middle of first round if he gets offered more cash but I doubt he will.

I think pick 3 for frawley was more about the afl giving them a leg up without giving them a priority pick (as they would have copped too much flack for that) so doubt its a great precedent.

Depends on the size of contract geelong offers him but I would say 3 years 450k ish which I would say gets you band 3 (end of first round).you might get middle of first round if he gets offered more cash but I doubt he will.

I think pick 3 for frawley was more about the afl giving them a leg up without giving them a priority pick (as they would have copped too much flack for that) so doubt its a great precedent.

Agree with all that (except end of first round is band 2).

We'll trade players for picks this year. We need to hit the draft hard. I'd approach GWS and Gold Coast and try and work out how to get their first pick
would cost Goldstein. not sure it would be worth giving him up. but given his age, it could be beneficial for all parties. He gets to those clubs in their premiership window.

caro reckons bennell will leave the gold coast at the end of this year.

howe and a second round pick (18-25)?

what about first rounder (1-7?), howe and a second rounder for bennell and dixon?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

caro reckons bennell will leave the gold coast at the end of this year.

howe and a second round pick (18-25)?

what about first rounder (1-7?), howe and a second rounder for bennell and dixon?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Bennell is the very last player Melbourne need right now. A team trying to build a positive culture will not be able to handle a player such as that. Maybe in 2 or 3 years Melbourne may. However not yet.

Motlop would cost more than pick 11-16
Id luv to think we would get more for him but im trying to be realistic ( i know its BF and realism has no place here)

Plus, he is OOC so we have another Bundy situation where we may have to take unders again IF he chooses he wants out. Id luv to get a higher pick but given those parameters I just don't see it happening…. sadly. The thing that might push the pick higher is if both say Richmond and Pies get into a pissing match for him. :D

My preference would be to keep him honestly.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id luv to think we would get more for him but im trying to be realistic ( i know its BF and realism has no place here)

Plus, he is OOC so we have another Bundy situation where we may have to take unders again IF he chooses he wants out. Id luv to get a higher pick but given those parameters I just don't see it happening…. sadly. The thing that might push the pick higher is if both say Richmond and Pies get into a pissing match for him. :D

My preference would be to keep him honestly.

GO Catters
OOC or not he's ten times the player of Bundy
I'd be thinking a pick around 10 with another pick around 20

No he wouldn't.

Clubs are loathe to trade away top 10 picks and when they do, its only in deals involving stars like Beams.
Pfft Motlop is a star and he's only 24
They got 5 25 and Jack Crisp for beams....

Didn't Carlton trade off an early pick last year for an unproven spud?:oops::oops::drunk::drunk::cry::cry::confused::confused::p:p:rolleyes:o_O:straining::straining:

Last edited:
Bennell is the very last player Melbourne need right now. A team trying to build a positive culture will not be able to handle a player such as that. Maybe in 2 or 3 years Melbourne may. However not yet.

completely disagree.

with our strong development coaching program of roos, goodwin, mccarthy et al and a good leadership lead by nate jones and strong admin fronted by peter jackson, bennell would be the perfect player to come into the environment and add to our side - look at the way that jetta has lead and had an influence on garlett this year.

we're stable, well lead, and capable of handling someone such as bennell these days.

the dickhead days of sylvia, moloney, mclean et al are long behind us.

OOC or not he's ten times the player of Bundy
I'd be thinking a pick around 10 with another pick around 20

Agree I'm just using what we have had experience wise. When they are ooc you kind of have to take what is offered. I like your thinking and that might be possible if more than one party gets very interested.
Still hope he stays.

Go Catters

Agree I'm just using what we have had experience wise. When they are ooc you kind of have to take what is offered. I like your thinking and that might be possible if more than one party gets very interested.
Still hope he stays.

Go Catters
He won't leave anyway

money, the cats are going to have to fork out a lot to keep Hawkins, then fork out a lot to get Dangerfield and Scott Selwood.

Leaving not much for Motlop compared to what other clubs can offer

Scooter will require funds but not like the other but I get your point.

Mots should get a 550offer from us - or has it - and word was he was well down the path of getting on the same page. Then some other offers came that are above us. The question is by how much.

Id say if he's ok with 550k, he could stay and the rest will fit in ok. However, if he wants more, then the issues of SC will kick in. Hopefully he stays but it remains to be seen. Remember also the Hawkins, whilst getting a large chunk, wont be anywhere near market value.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back