Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Our tour gives us 3 days but we're thinking of extending it to 5. Not sure.
I would make it 5, less is selling NYC short . We were there last year during there record breaking freeze , warmest day was 0.

Just need to rug up , plenty of places to get out if the cold if need be

Layers in New York. You need to have many different layers.

Singlet, T shirt, sweater, jumper, jacket and beanie and scarf.

This is slightly off-topic in that it is not a travel tip/trick: a poster in response to an earlier posting of mine here said he enjoys visiting the States but would not want to live there (compared to Oz). There are quite a few posters here who seem to be serial visitors to the USA, on vacations - so my Q is - how many posters here would like to (or not) live/work in the USA given the opportunity?
Back on topic - if driving, do not have any opened cans or bottles of alcohol (beer/wine/spirits) in the car's cabin. If you are stopped for any reason by the police that is one of their standard fishing expedition questions (not in all states).

New York in Winter, unbearably cold? Should I keep my time there to a minimum?

New York in the winter is the best time to go. In summer the city smells a bit and it is very hot. It's beautiful in winter and not too cold.

Don't layer up as people are suggesting wear a pair of thermals, A jacket and some gloves and a beanie and you will be fine.

Shoes that are able to withstand the weather are ideal too. Especially if you get snow.

This is slightly off-topic in that it is not a travel tip/trick: a poster in response to an earlier posting of mine here said he enjoys visiting the States but would not want to live there (compared to Oz). There are quite a few posters here who seem to be serial visitors to the USA, on vacations - so my Q is - how many posters here would like to (or not) live/work in the USA given the opportunity?
Did an exchange semester there and loved getting out of the tourist areas a bit (did plenty of touristy stuff as well though). I'd do a working holiday, definitely a year or so, but I don't think I'd ever permanently relocate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking of heading over in late January with a few mates for about a month

Havent really planned anything with them yet but have decided on a few places I would like to go:
- LA, San Francisco, Vegas, Austin, New York, Florida

then I think my friends are keen on New Orleans, Nashville, also we all have a friend living in Baltimore

Main reason for the trip
- we're all big NBA fans so we will try catch a few games
- a lot of bars/clubs/hopefully college parties
- national parks, sightseeing

I've always wanted to sit courtside at an NBA game or close to it (would New Orleans seats be cheap(ish)?) How much does this usually cost?

Am I trying to fit in too much for a month? If we were to rent a car would it be best to do it between SF/LA/Vegas and perhaps also between Texas/New Orleans?

Havent really planned anything with them yet but have decided on a few places I would like to go:

then I think my friends are keen on New Orleans, Nashville, also we all have a friend living in Baltimore

Main reason for the trip

I've always wanted to sit courtside at an NBA game or close to it (would New Orleans seats be cheap(ish)?) How much does this usually cost?

Am I trying to fit in too much for a month? If we were to rent a car would it be best to do it between SF/LA/Vegas and perhaps also between Texas/New Orleans?

Anywhere between $200 to $1,000 but if they become a play off team, that could increase to $5,000 a game.

Getting a car will give you easier access and freedom but parking can be a pain in the arse.

Last edited:
If you are keen on doing some driving is do it between SF/LA/Vegas. Me and my mates drove Austin>New Orleans and there really isn't much to see at all.

Look, if you are half decent at hooking up with a girl, your ascent and being an Aussie will be more than enough. You won't need a 'college town' - just hit up a bar or two wherever you go and you will be fine.

Have already read about the power of the Aussie accent a few times haha, just wanted to know as it would be great to experience some US house parties, etc. so its not always bars

Main reason for the trip

• I have driven from SF to LA on numerous occasions. If in a hurry I take I -5 and it is about 6 hours from south SF to north LA. Boring drive. By the coast road CA/US-1 it takes about 8 hours. Very scenic. When I take the coast road SF-LA I usually stop overnite as I like to take my time and take in the scenery.
  • LA to LV is about 4 hours - add 2 hours if you are driving from west LA. Not my sort of scenery (I like green) but you may enjoy it.
  • Austin to NO is around 8 hours on I-10. Boring drive. Gets more interesting once past Houston and into Louisiana - but I wouldn't do it as tourist if time were short.
  • Old Baltimore is nice and you can walk around the inner area, but is currently quite a dangerous city and you don't want to stray off piste. In fact, tbh, for the next 6 months or more I wouldn't go near Baltimore.
  • Also bear in mind that it will be winter, and you are best to keep out of the snow areas (unless you ski). I would suggest Savannah Georgia or Charleston South Carolina as interesting cities to visit in January (or any other time for that matter).
  • Nashville TN is one of my favorite cities. Would definitely visit as a tourist. Various posters here have given tips on Nashville attractions. If I was a tourist and time was a factor I would choose Nashville over NO (but admittedly I do not like NO at all).
  • Be aware of one-way drop-off rates for rental cars - can be expensive.
  • Check if your own car insurer/credit card provider will cover you for US rental car insurance - otherwise you could be paying around U$25.00 per day extra for cover.
  • Buy a cheap Garmin GPS (about U$100.00) from Best Buy before renting a car - it will save you hours of hassle in getting about.
  • Scenic attractions - see some of my postings here earlier. My favorite NP is Yellowstone, but you will not get far there in Jan due to snow. But for awesome and accessible winter scenery you could drive Las Vegas to Denver on I-15 from Vegas then turn right (east) onto I-70 to Denver. Thru the Rockies. All on interstates - good safe roads in winter. Your hire car would need snow chains at various sections of I-70, thru the high passes, in Jan.

• I have driven from SF to LA on numerous occasions. If in a hurry I take I -5 and it is about 6 hours from south SF to north LA. Boring drive. By the coast road CA/US-1 it takes about 8 hours. Very scenic. When I take the coast road SF-LA I usually stop overnite as I like to take my time and take in the scenery.
  • LA to LV is about 4 hours - add 2 hours if you are driving from west LA. Not my sort of scenery (I like green) but you may enjoy it.
  • Austin to NO is around 8 hours on I-10. Boring drive. Gets more interesting once past Houston and into Louisiana - but I wouldn't do it as tourist if time were short.
  • Old Baltimore is nice and you can walk around the inner area, but is currently quite a dangerous city and you don't want to stray off piste. In fact, tbh, for the next 6 months or more I wouldn't go near Baltimore.
  • Also bear in mind that it will be winter, and you are best to keep out of the snow areas (unless you ski). I would suggest Savannah Georgia or Charleston South Carolina as interesting cities to visit in January (or any other time for that matter).
  • Nashville TN is one of my favorite cities. Would definitely visit as a tourist. Various posters here have given tips on Nashville attractions. If I was a tourist and time was a factor I would choose Nashville over NO (but admittedly I do not like NO at all).
  • Be aware of one-way drop-off rates for rental cars - can be expensive.
  • Check if your own car insurer/credit card provider will cover you for US rental car insurance - otherwise you could be paying around U$25.00 per day extra for cover.
  • Buy a cheap Garmin GPS (about U$100.00) from Best Buy before renting a car - it will save you hours of hassle in getting about.
  • Scenic attractions - see some of my postings here earlier. My favorite NP is Yellowstone, but you will not get far there in Jan due to snow. But for awesome and accessible winter scenery you could drive Las Vegas to Denver on I-15 from Vegas then turn right (east) onto I-70 to Denver. Thru the Rockies. All on interstates - good safe roads in winter. Your hire car would need snow chains at various sections of I-70, thru the high passes, in Jan.

Thanks mate, very helpful!

Have a few more questions

- Is it possible to drive from SF to Las Vegas going through Yosemite/Death Valley in the winter? ... and possibly spending a night there (early February). Google maps says the best route is to go back around and almost past LA again which would not be ideal as we are starting our trip there and want to spend some time at the national parks if possible. Are roads usually closed/unsafe to drive on in early Feb?

- Another thing I have noticed is how much cheaper Vegas hotels are on weeknights as opposed to weekends. With there being 3 of us going, there are actually some pretty affordable options. Any suggestions for hotels in Vegas? Planet Hollywood looks decent/good location

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back