Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cori

All Australian
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If north continue to be total poo (likewise Essendon) they might look to the draft. Who could we pinch that would add something to our make up? Shaun Atley? I don't know either of their lists well but I'd say along with Carlton, they'd be the lists looking for a bit of a refresh.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
North's list is soooooo bland. I wouldn't actively chase any of their best team. (I rate blokes like McDonald and Cunnington, but they won't trade them).

SeaWind

Team Captain
Suspended
May 5, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We shouldn't be exclusively targeting young players.

2015 will be our 5th year in rebuild. At this point, we should be trying to get as far into the finals as we possibly can, and if there are 27-30 year olds available that can improve us, then we absolutely should be targeting them.

Leuenberger would improve us ten fold, and he would only cost us salary cap space. We'd be mad not to consider recruiting him, especially considering our current rucks are a 30 year old Minson, an injury prone Roughead, and Campbell, who's all but a sure thing to get delisted at the end of the year. He could be our Ben Hudson-type signing, and anyone who watched us from 08-10 should know just how important he was for us.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
We shouldn't be exclusively targeting young players.

2015 will be our 5th year in rebuild. At this point, we should be trying to get as far into the finals as we possibly can, and if there are 27-30 year olds available that can improve us, then we absolutely should be targeting them.

Leuenberger would improve us ten fold, and he would only cost us salary cap space
. We'd be mad not to consider recruiting him, especially considering our current rucks are a 30 year old Minson, an injury prone Roughead, and Campbell, who's all but a sure thing to get delisted at the end of the year. He could be our Ben Hudson-type signing, and anyone who watched us from 08-10 should know just how important he was for us.
He's a RFA this year apparently, depends if we look to trade in/go down free agency this year. The knocks on him are obviously his injury history and that he rucks better solo (as highlighted on the weekend against Sandilands), but we do need better options with Big Will ageing and not as prolific anymore like he was in 2012-13. I reckon Cordy is a better bet to be delisted than Campbell.

A player like Zac Clarke could help too and I reckon he'd relish the opportunity to be the number 1 ruck and he could be effective in switching with Roughead/Boyd due to doing it with Sandilands. A smokey option could be one of those Sydney/GWS project rucks who could turn out to be decent like a Sam Jacobs MK2 (Naismith, Nankervis, Lobb, Phillips, Downie etc), all of these guys have had 2-4 years of NEAFL development and there could be a diamond in the rough out of that lot.

Would love to see us get in 2 big blokes this off season, a ruckman and a key forward would be lovely.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
If north continue to be total poo (likewise Essendon) they might look to the draft. Who could we pinch that would add something to our make up? Shaun Atley? I don't know either of their lists well but I'd say along with Carlton, they'd be the lists looking for a bit of a refresh.
I just wonder why he hasn't developed well, he's tall and has speed to burn, must give Norf fans headaches. He has all the physical attributes of a Brodie Smith and plays a similar position.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Hamling is on record saying that he prefers to play on the mid sized more athletic types rather than the big forwards and having 3 194cm + KPD's gives us options. Morris as good, brave and valuable as he has been really shouldn't be playing on those types any longer and I like the flexibility that Talia, Roberts and Hamling would provide us.
Kind of reminds me of Geelong's 09-11 premiership backline of Lonergan, Scarlett and Taylor. Talia-Lonergan mainly taking on gorillas, Roberts-Taylor as the intercept marking type and Hamling-Scarlett capable of playing on different types and are fast and athletic and don't reallly give a **** who they're up against :D. While Talia was disappointing against Pavlich and Hogan I hope he can bounce back when given his next opportunity.
I don't mind Walker as I've said before. He is an upgrade on Redpath, he'd be cheap and I doubt we'd have to trade much to land him. However, I do understand the argument that we should just keep our powder dry for now until someone significantly better comes along.
Don't mind that option, he'd be best 25 for sure and should get more opportunities here than what he would at Geelong you'd think. Sam Reid would be nice also, he had a solid game against Port last week as Sydney's no1 fwd on the night. Tomlinson or Stewart from GWS also would give versatility.

With Grant and Dickson transitioning further upfield and adding versatility to their games and Stringer who is clearly better and bloody dangerous roaming across half forward than as a no 2 fwd target leaves me thinking where does Crameri sit? I've always felt Crameri plays better as a high half forward but we have too many blokes pushing through that position currently and as an undersized key forward he seems to struggle when he's played that role this year. I feel Grant plays better as a lead up option when utilised as a high half forward/wing to Crameri also and Grant seems to have better midfield/small abilities. Dickson is a must in our team however, a bloke with the capabilities of kicking a bag once a month when others are down is gold, seems like he's replaced Gia adequately enough.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching the replay on Fox now. No point getting another target up forward if we can't hit them up. Such bad disposal going into fwd 50 v Blues, and has been an issue for quite a few weeks. I know we're a young side but if we got our entries into the 50 right, Redpath can easily fit the stop gap position, kicking into Dickson, Stringer and co on the lead and Boyd one out. Redpath presented nicely, it was the disposal to him that was the failure imo.

Gotta be more athletic ruck/utility guys out there for us to consider. Suggestions people???

Liam McBean: Behind Maric, Vickery, Griffiths and Riewoldt. Apparently love the Tigers but I wonder how long that'll last if he goes another season with little game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta be more athletic ruck/utility guys out there for us to consider. Suggestions people???
I am surprised Scott Lycett's name hasn't come up. He is contracted for another 3 yrs but won't play ahead of nic nat. Mouldering in twos at present. I've always liked him and can play fwd. would think bombers and tiges would be all over him and therefore wouldn't be cheap.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sinclair-or-lycett.1065354/

Personally I'd rather rely on Roughead to carry ruck and recruit someone like josh walker cheaply, who together with Boyd can provide a chop out and fwd target.

The key to good trading is identifying players you can get for a good price. Walker to me fits that bill. Lot of upside and even on current showing a significant upgrade on Redpath.

He's still the best pure defensive one-on-one stopper in our squad to take on the Travis Clokes of the AFL.
We have completely opposing opinions - for mine his one on one work is his poorest attribute. He is good at judging the flight of the ball and intercepting possession but gets lost one on one too easily. Fletcher Roberts' body positioning in a contest is miles ahead, although Talia has it all over him for pace.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have completely opposing opinions - for mine his one on one work is his poorest attribute. He is good at judging the flight of the ball and intercepting possession but gets lost one on one too easily. Fletcher Roberts' body positioning in a contest is miles ahead, although Talia has it all over him for pace.

Did people watch Talia play against Pav and hogan? Apparently Talia has very short arms which hurts his one on one work.

I'll ask the question, if Talia is so s**t hot why is he not getting a game ahead of a clearly undersized Hamling? Why couldn't he get a game ahead of Austin last year? And why is our list management team searching high and low for a KPD?

There is an answer...and it's that the club doesn't rate it's KPD stocks. And as the bloke who can't get a game in consecutive years under different coaches with hugely different coaching philosophies, Talia is under the pump big time.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am surprised Scott Lycett's name hasn't come up. He is contracted for another 3 yrs but won't play ahead of nic nat. Mouldering in twos at present. I've always liked him and can play fwd. would think bombers and tiges would be all over him and therefore wouldn't be cheap.

Personally I'd rather rely on Roughead to carry ruck and recruit someone like josh walker cheaply, who together with Boyd can provide a chop out and fwd target.

The key to good trading is identifying players you can get for a good price. Walker to me fits that bill. Lot of upside and even on current showing a significant upgrade on Redpath.
I am warming to Walker.

For a 22 year old kpp who came off the rookie list to be thrown games intermittently yet perform at a reasonable standard when he does play is a pretty good effort.

He is only a year older than Talia & has played 2 more career games so there should be room for improvement.

He is the type of player I think our forward line needs & he knows how to play second banana.

Outside of getting someone like Wright I think he is a solid budget option.

Last edited:

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We shouldn't be trading in anybody who won't be part of a hypothetical premiership side in 2-3 years time.
Delisted Free Agent? Fine. A negligible pick downgrade, what we needed to get Biggs? Also fine. A straight swap with a second or third round pick for a fringe player, someone like Walker? With our drafting success I'd back in that third round pick to have a better upside and more likely to play in a hypothetical premiership team down the line than any given fringe player like Walker.

Josh Bruce goes ok and it's the same sort of deal for Walker. For those with doubt on Walker go watch him play against Norf in the finals last year. Good mark and a good kick. Massive opportunity to get a very solid 2nd Kpf cheaply. He is nothing like White.

Also it is being commonly accepted that this draft is very shallow this year and totally different to last year which was quite deep. Refusing to trade to improve the list because we expect Dalrymple to pull rabbits out of his hat in a shallow draft doesn't seem realistic.

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

...and Callum Sinclair is behind him. Rookie listed from the VFL a couple of years ago and can play forward.

Be cheap and comes in semi-developed.

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh Bruce goes ok and it's the same sort of deal for Walker. For those with doubt on Walker go watch him play against Norf in the finals last year. Good mark and a good kick. Massive opportunity to get a very solid 2nd Kpf cheaply. He is nothing like White.

Also it is being commonly accepted that this draft is very shallow this year and totally different to last year which was quite deep. Refusing to trade to improve the list because we expect Dalrymple to pull rabbits out of his hat in a shallow draft doesn't seem realistic.

Fronk hated my Josh Walker suggestion... :(

Thought he'd be an upgrade on Ayce and Campbell.

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What's happened to Shaun Atleys career at North? Doesn't look as quick as he did a few years ago and simply not getting enough ball.

Rated him, but looks like clogging their list at the moment.

Watching the replay on Fox now. No point getting another target up forward if we can't hit them up. Such bad disposal going into fwd 50 v Blues, and has been an issue for quite a few weeks. I know we're a young side but if we got our entries into the 50 right, Redpath can easily fit the stop gap position, kicking into Dickson, Stringer and co on the lead and Boyd one out. Redpath presented nicely, it was the disposal to him that was the failure imo.

I have a fair bit of time for this view also Pugz - our priority should be to bring into the club flexible players who can play multiple roles and most importantly have excellent disposal, particularly by foot. Can't stand to watch guys get the ball regularly and then butcher it constantly - turnovers and missed targets inside 50 kill teams.

I have a fair bit of time for this view also Pugz - our priority should be to bring into the club flexible players who can play multiple roles and most importantly have excellent disposal, particularly by foot. Can't stand to watch guys get the ball regularly and then butcher it constantly - turnovers and missed targets inside 50 kill teams.
Agreed. People have s**t-canned Redpath for being outmuscled in a few one-on-ones last weekend with Jameson. Problem was he correctly had front spot but was then out-positioned waiting for the errant disposal.

With the disposal of the boys we brought in last year I'd hope we'd go Keiran Collins if he's available at our 8-12th first pick. He'd complete our backline and essentially end any need to search for another KP defender for the next 10 years. Bring in best user for the next selection as the premium users will likely be gone for our first.

Roberts reads the flight of the ball better and has exlempary positioning. Talia's the best in the all-around attributes of defending a bloke on the lead (Roberts gets burnt on the lead because he's not the quickest) and defending the on-on-one high ball. I watched a fair bit of the VFL last year with both Roberts and Talia in the team, and Talia lost less contests than Roberts as a percentage of their overall contests battled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back