Status
Not open for further replies.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Campo performed well in his presser. If Campo possesses a tactical brain that's a bloody good start. However he doesn't have the same life skills that Walshy did. When Walshy talked even if it was about paintings or F1 cars people listened because they new Walshy knew what he was talking about. Walshy commanded respect by simply being there. Even the boys on AFL 360 showed a level of respect towards him when he called them ratbags. You could see them listening to him.

It wasn't long ago when many on here were calling for Campo's head so it will be interesting to see how the team performs under him but that judgement cant be made after this weekends effort.

Unfair too I think.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I could see Woosha remaining next year in the same capacity, but not as Senior Coach. He may, alternatively, remain on our books next year in a consultative capacity.

Im not a massive Campo fan, but in my opinion, if he shows enough in the next 10 weeks then I think the club will keep him on in that role. The team first mentality extends to the coach's box under Walshy's mantra, so the effort will be a collective one. We've already seen Phil's willingness to defer to his line coaches (with Campo's spit at Danger a couple of weeks ago). I think this is part of the blueprint, similar to how Clarko runs his ship at Hawthorn.

So, given the head coach role is about ethos and man management, and given Campo knows the ethos and seems to have the player's respect, I dont see why he won't stay in the role, if he wants to. The club has many quality people to support him and I suspect, as I wrote a few days ago, Phil's "blueprint" will shape this club for a long time. I can see our long term direction being one of employing quality people who embrace the ethos, and promoting from within. As long as it remains workable, I dont have a problem with this course.

Campo has a massive task ahead of him. He really needs as much support as possible, so I hope he has time to do his own grieving. I'd hate for him to fall in a heap by the end of the season under the emotional weight of all of this. Good on the club for getting Woosha in for support.

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I could see Woosha remaining next year in the same capacity, but not as Senior Coach. He may, alternatively, remain on our books next year in a consultative capacity.

Im not a massive Campo fan, but in my opinion, if he shows enough in the next 10 weeks then I think the club will keep him on in that role. The team first mentality extends to the coach's box under Walshy's mantra, so the effort will be a collective one. We've already seen Phil's willingness to defer to his line coaches (with Campo's spit at Danger a couple of weeks ago). I think this is part of the blueprint, similar to how Clarko runs his ship at Hawthorn.

So, given the head coach role is about ethos and man management, and given Campo knows the ethos and seems to have the player's respect, I dont see why he won't stay in the role, if he wants to. The club has many quality people to support him and I suspect, as I wrote a few days ago, Phil's "blueprint" will shape this club for a long time. I can see our long term direction being one of employing quality people who embrace the ethos, and promoting from within. As long as it remains workable, I dont have a problem with this course.

Campo has a massive task ahead of him. He really needs as much support as possible, so I hope he has time to do his own grieving. I'd hate for him to fall in a heap by the end of the season under the emotional weight of all of this. Good on the club for getting Woosha in for support.

I think Camporeale will only get the job if he is the absolute best candidate for the job. Roo and Fages will make sure of that.

Saethiaal6

Senior List
Mar 29, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Akkermanis is looking for a coaching gig in the afl, isn't he:p. In all seriousness campo will probably end up with the job along with another assistant joining. Would love kirk but i feel we need some more experience in the box.

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
But he could stay on as Director of Coaching?

With Mr Olympia Dew as the Head Coach.

That would be my ideal combo.

Director of coaching is a possibility IMO if we get a rookie head coach.

If we get some one in the Walsh mould probably not.

Listening to him on AA and the things he said regarding a head coach role told me we can put that one to bed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TGFC

All Australian
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am currently torn with this new or should i say not so new path the club is taking. On one hand the thought of deviating from what Walsh was trying to achieve seems noble and great for continuity within the club. On the other hand i am concerned with the Walsh centrique pressure this will put on all involved. At some point people like Campo will need to let go and embrace their own views about how the club should be run, when that is i'm not sure, but to say we are committed to the path narrows the scope of what anyone at the club can do. And who is to say if Phil was still in charge, would not see that certain aspects of his vision needs to change.

I don't really know how to put this but here we go. I don't know if letting Phil essentially coach us from the grave is doing his legacy any honour

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am currently torn with this new or should i say not so new path the club is taking. On one hand the thought of deviating from what Walsh was trying to achieve seems noble and great for continuity within the club. On the other hand i am concerned with the Walsh centrique pressure this will put on all involved. At some point people like Campo will need to let go and embrace their own views about how the club should be run, when that is i'm not sure, but to say we are committed to the path narrows the scope of what anyone at the club can do. And who is to say if Phil was still in charge, would not see that certain aspects of his vision needs to change.

I don't really know how to put this but here we go. I don't know if letting Phil essentially coach us from the grave is doing his legacy any honour
disagree. Game plans are developed from the off season. All we are doing is saying that we are continuing on the same path for the remainder of the year. It is the only sensible way forward. Do you reckon the players would have the head space for a new philosophy now? That would be stupid

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Not sure if it has been discussed but Lloyd last night on FC said that Goodwin is a brilliant match day tactician, which sort of surprised me. He's not ready to be our head coach but one day in the future.... Years end we need someone as close to Walshy as we can get. Geez still can't believe this has happened...

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
disagree. Game plans are developed from the off season. All we are doing is saying that we are continuing on the same path for the remainder of the year. It is the only sensible way forward. Do you reckon the players would have the head space for a new philosophy now? That would be stupid

Absolutely.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Yeah it's about maintaining the core values.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Director of coaching is a possibility IMO if we get a rookie head coach.

If we get some one in the Walsh mould probably not.

Listening to him on AA and the things he said regarding a head coach role told me we can put that one to bed.
I actually thought the other way from the interview, he didn't completely rule it out, which you would if there was no chance.

Apr 6, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure if it has been discussed but Lloyd last night on FC said that Goodwin is a brilliant match day tactician, which sort of surprised me. He's not ready to be our head coach but one day in the future.... Years end we need someone as close to Walshy as we can get. Geez still can't believe this has happened...

Hes already locked in to coach Melbourne in two years time, don't think he would come over to us now

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually thought the other way from the interview, he didn't completely rule it out, which you would if there was no chance.

He ruled out being a head coach in 2016 though. He's not ready for it next year.
He also mentioned that he has watched some games but not as many as he use to.

My own concern is that he has lost touch with the game to some extent over the last 18 months.
Listening to some of his comments I wouldn't be comfortable with Woosha being head coach next year.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Agree

I said this earlier, Woosha threw in a couple of times the classic disclaimer "not at this point in time"

This disclaimer has been successfully used in the past by Paul.Roos and James Hird

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
He ruled out being a head coach in 2016 though. He's not ready for it next year.
He also mentioned that he has watched some games but not as many as he use to.

My own concern is that he has lost touch with the game to some extent over the last 18 months.
Listening to some of his comments I wouldn't be comfortable with Woosha being head coach next year.
I didn't hear the part where he ruled out next year.
I'm not for a minute saying I want him next year or would be comfortable, I just didn't get the feeling he had completely ruled it out, I maybe completely wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back