RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Well each to their own but at least a warm applause when the crows enter will be respectful enough.

The last I thing want to hear is boing when they enter. That should not be tolerated.
Why? Seriously why? I rarely, if ever, boo anyway but I won't applaud them .
How you manage to equate not cheering for a club that's sole mission is to destroy ours with booing their and our ex coach is beyond me.
What has Van Berlo or Wright done to deserve my applause? It's nothing to do with Walsh.

Yeah. It's kind of sad that, when perusing through various threads about this on both this board and the Adelaide board, you've already got someone chirping up about how the 'We Fly As One' tagline is now 'better' than any pregame song or entertainment because it has a tragedy attached to it. That's like saying YNWA was nothing until the Hillsborough Disaster. That's the sort of people you have to deal with on here.

Can you show a link to that? I haven't seen anyone suggest anything even remotely like that.

I don't think any supporter would want to see someone denigrate this tragedy and reduce it down to petty club disagreements like that. If someone is, they should be told to pull their head in.

Can you show a link to that? I haven't seen anyone suggest anything even remotely like that.

I don't think any supporter would want to see someone denigrate this tragedy and reduce it down to petty club disagreements like that. If someone is, they should be told to pull their head in.

Not gonna link it directly as it was probably just a harmless mistake, but it's in the 'We Fly As One' tagline thread.

I don't know, it just seemed off to me to even bring up pregame stuff when talking about something so significant and tragic. But then again, people grieve in different ways.

Adelaide fans grieve more because they lost more.

We convinced this guy to have a go at age 54, someone saw something in him when Bailey passed and went after it. We supported, encouraged and backed him in 100 %. We took a very big risk, giving him control of our club, his first senior role.

Ask a heart transplant patient what it would be like, the moment you realize the transplant worked, the heart was taken away. One of the best wins I've seen Adelaide have was the SANFl game against you guys at Alberton, days before this tragedy. We were playing like Mathouse, Lyon and Clarkson sides play, playing like you guys played in your golden years when you won all those showdowns consecutively. It was clear his message was working. It was the strongest SANFL side we had fielded all year and it was deep in our most fiercest rivals territory. It was also the last game he saw live.

Went down aami today with my boys. What a outstanding turnout by all footy people. Wonderful sentiments and had a real respectful tone about it. Did notice some memorial left that had corporate branding on them. Maybe unless there's a absolute connection to the club, can this be given a rest? Livewest I'm looking at you.

Just want to thank your club and it's supporters . I know you are also suffering and I know Thursday night I will be cheering you on. I really hope from this disaster our clubs and supporters can play hard on the field but be friendlier off it.. There is more to life than who finishes higher or who wins the showdown ..

I read a beautiful post on the Crows board the other day. A Crows fan said that, in the wake of Walsh's death, he had just spoken to his father for the first time in 15 years, and he and his father would be going to the Adelaide v Gold Coast game in round 17. He then added, "Life is too short to hold grudges." So poignant and so true. At least one bit of good has come out of this tragedy - a father and son have been reunited.

This page by Matt Agius on Port's website yesterday shows how many Port people Phil played with and worked with in various capacities.

The Port link goes back to 1983 when at Collingwood in debut year his coach was John Cahill, Captain was Mark Williams and teammate was Greg Phillis.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-07-05/1983-walshs-port-connection-begins

You add that to the 6 other clubs he has played for or worked at you can see how his tentacles of friendship and influence have spread wide across the AFL with almost no media appearances before October 2014.

So, the way I think the Showdown pre game should play out is....

- A Joint march from the mall

- Joint Banner - if the teams want club songs, the Crows should be played before the players enter the field and Power songs as they run onto the ground as we should never run out to another teams song at our home game.

- One minutes silence leading into NTUA with a Phil Walsh montage... ALL supporters from which ever team the support should be encouraged to hold their scarves above their heads as a joint sign of respect for PW throughout NTUA!!!
All the photos of Phil in the montage should be from his time at Port which spans over 11 years, there is no need to pay tribute to his time at the crows at our home game with photos of him in crows colours...

- In no way should we broadcast the crows slogan we fly as one on the big screens or around the ground, I am 100% certain that there will not be any weareportadelaide floating around at the crows next home game!!!

- Joint Banner - if the teams want club songs, the Crows should be played before the players enter the field and Power songs as they run onto the ground as we should never run out to another teams song at our home game.

- One minutes silence leading into NTUA with a Phil Walsh montage... ALL supporters from which ever team the support should be encouraged to hold their scarves above their heads as a joint sign of respect for PW throughout NTUA!!!
All the photos of Phil in the montage should be from his time at Port which spans over 11 years, there is no need to pay tribute to his time at the crows at our home game with photos of him in crows colours...

- In no way should we broadcast the crows slogan we fly as one on the big screens or around the ground, I am 100% certain that there will not be any weareportadelaide floating around at the crows next home game!!!

Sounds spot on to me.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all alert from the second to last point about PW pics. There's nothing wrong with showing pics of him at Crows. We showed pics of Dean Bailey at crows last year.

I hope we go back to normal by the Showdown.
I think we would if it were anything but a Showdown, but given both clubs' strong ties to Phil they may want to do something more, and I think it's the Crows first game in Adelaide after losing Phil. If so, Boxx's ideas sound about right. I don't have a problem with treating it as a regular Showdown if the Club chooses to.

Don't see why they shouldn't show pictures of him at every club he has played and coached at. It is a tribute, not a competition.
fair enough... have a few photos of him from all teams he has been involve in - but certainly NO opposition marketing material like wefly!!!

Would like to see Phil's time at the Crows referenced during the pregame Showdown. It's bigger than our club or the Crows; it's a celebration of a wonderful man's life. Also like the idea of inviting the Crow supporters to raise their scarves through the NTUA - it's a symbolic gesture that we as a club reach out to them through such a tragic time.

After the showdown I'd like to see the usual banter and hostilities resume between the supporters. Phil's tragic passing has shown us that even though we rip into each other and bicker and fight, there is humility and respect at a human level between the clubs. There's nothing wrong with having a crack at one another and we all should embrace the proud rivalry we've established.

In saying that, I hope the Crows knock the Weagles off this Saturday and give their supporters something to smile about

There were 7 games played last weekend where teams paid their respects to Walsh. Thursday night Port will pay their respects to Walsh. I'm guessing West Coast may organise something for the crows to do something. Then it is showdown and I've heard that there will be more paying of respect, and then I guess the crows will finally have a home game by which I think they should pay their respects. The timing isn't quite right for the crows, I feel that it is more appropriate for Port to pay its tribute Thursday night, and the crows pay their tribute at their next home game.

I don't quite follow the reasoning of Port's Thursday game playing the NTUA but not no club songs or banners. I thought that nothing should be played at all, just a montage in tribute to Walsh plus the minutes silence and perhaps a speaker for the moment is the appropriate manner of real respect.

Heard what may have triggered it and what happened on the night in question. Not sure if appropriate to post though. Some of it may already be common knowledge or have been speculated. Can PM a mod and see what they think I suppose, but don't want to be 'that guy' that posts something that should not be posted.

Heard what may have triggered it and what happened on the night in question. Not sure if appropriate to post though. Some of it may already be common knowledge or have been speculated. Can PM a mod and see what they think I suppose, but don't want to be 'that guy' that posts something that should not be posted.
im sure today tonight is all over it, even if its not true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back