Preview Round 15 v Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have won 14 quarters so far - that's pretty much one a game. So take your pick.
The 3rd. Our first quarters are usually hard fought, 2nds we put our foot down, 3rds let teams back in and 4th we do enough to hold on

3 hours of watching adam goodes flop, flail, flinch and fall againts our young defense, yay. The umps will eat it up too - their whistles will be at the ready, for every lunge forward out of a pack, head whip back and knee buckle.. I expect at least 3 goals for Adam awarded on the back of his free kick seeking theatre. I love it.

Trent west listed as a test on the injury list might be worth a crack up forward if staker doesnt get up. Same with freeman which was a good sign. Although i can see then spending some time in the magoos first.

Happy to hear Rocky is back this week but can't help thinking that we tend to rush players back often to the detriment to both them and the team.

For all the criticism of Ablett on how long it took for him to come back, when he did he was awesome and probably testament to the fact he was as close to 100% fit he could be.

Just a touch of clarification. Garry Ablett should've been back months ago. He hasn't played because he had a 'frozen shoulder' - a recognised complication of shoulder injury. Following a reconstruction, you need to take adequate pain relief to allow early mobilisation to avoid this. He didn't. He took natural medicines. His return was delayed as a result.

A rib should be completely healed in 6 weeks. Tom'll be fine.

Just a touch of clarification. Garry Ablett should've been back months ago. He hasn't played because he had a 'frozen shoulder' - a recognised complication of shoulder injury. Following a reconstruction, you need to take adequate pain relief to allow early mobilisation to avoid this. He didn't. He took natural medicines. His return was delayed as a result.

A rib should be completely healed in 6 weeks. Tom'll be fine.

Gary Ablett had the best healer on his side though and his name is God.

There is an article up now on AFL.com that includes some really interesting stats about our midfield. Three things stand out to me:

- we're 8th in the AFL for centre clearances won. That is way higher that I would've expected, especially given we're 16th in hit-outs to advantage.
- our most used midfield combination includes Rocky, who has barely played, and Redden who has missed a bit. That suggests to me we have been mixing it up like crazy in the other weeks.
- when Leuey or Lester attend centre bounces, we win clearances. Neither of them attend the bulk of centre bounces, but it illustrates the tensions in balancing your side. Both would presumably play more if they weren't alternatives in our better stocked positions.

(EDIT): Adding to this, Carlton are ranked 2nd in the AFL for clearances won and GC are 6th, where Sydney are ranked 12th and and Hawthorn are 14th. Also interesting I think.

Ruckman
Centre square attendance – who rucks the most? Stefan Martin 74 per cent
Centre square hit-outs (per game) Stefan Martin 9.8
Centre square hit-outs to advantage (team): 25.2 per cent AFL ranking: 16th
Onballers

Most used combination: Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff, Jack Redden (29 times)
Most used midfielder (midfielder who attends most centre bounces): Dayne Beams (279 times)
Centre clearances won (team): 42.5 per cent AFL ranking: 8th
Centre clearance king: Dayne Beams (37)
Centre clearance differential: Brisbane Lions are +5 when Matthew Leuenberger or Ryan Lester attend a centre bounce

Last edited:
We have been pretty good at centre clearances. The issue with the stats is that our clearances are usually just Rischitelli style long bombs. It would be interesting to see a stat for retaining possession from clearances.

Also adds to the confusion of why Lester hasn't spent more time in the middle since that St Kilda game.

We have been pretty good at centre clearances. The issue with the stats is that our clearances are usually just Rischitelli style long bombs. It would be interesting to see a stat for retaining possession from clearances.

Also adds to the confusion of why Lester hasn't spent more time in the middle since that St Kilda game.

I agree with that and I'd guess that it would go a long way to explaining why so many bottom 8 teams are doing well in the clearances (us, Carlton and GC all top 8) and a number of really good teams aren't running all that well on clearance differential (Hawthorn and Sydney 12th and 14th).

There is an article up now on AFL.com that includes some really interesting stats about our midfield. Three things stand out to me:

- we're 8th in the AFL for centre clearances won. That is way higher that I would've expected, especially given we're 16th in hit-outs to advantage.
- our most used midfield combination includes Rocky, who has barely played, and Redden who has missed a bit. That suggests to me we have been mixing it up like crazy in the other weeks.
- when Leuey or Lester attend centre bounces, we win clearances. Neither of them attend the bulk of centre bounces, but it illustrates the tensions in balancing your side. Both would presumably play more if they weren't alternatives in our better stocked positions.

(EDIT): Adding to this, Carlton are ranked 2nd in the AFL for clearances won and GC are 6th, where Sydney are ranked 12th and and Hawthorn are 14th. Also interesting I think.

Ruckman
Centre square attendance – who rucks the most? Stefan Martin 74 per cent
Centre square hit-outs (per game) Stefan Martin 9.8
Centre square hit-outs to advantage (team): 25.2 per cent AFL ranking: 16th
Onballers

Most used combination: Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff, Jack Redden (29 times)
Most used midfielder (midfielder who attends most centre bounces): Dayne Beams (279 times)
Centre clearances won (team): 42.5 per cent AFL ranking: 8th
Centre clearance king: Dayne Beams (37)
Centre clearance differential: Brisbane Lions are +5 when Matthew Leuenberger or Ryan Lester attend a centre bounce

Great break down. Leppa addressed this and the fact that clearance numbers were pretty good, it was just our first use was the worst in the comp (or close to), so he suspected teams almost hung back coz they knew we were going to win it and give it straight to them under pressure - which I assumed mean't - because we would win it and start moving in our direction, then give it straight back to to them - they then had ample opportunity to hurt us the other way as we were all off guard thinking we had one the centre bounce. lol

Clearances used to be my big gripe, this season I haven't been angry with this area, I feel we get a fair bit of the ball particularly out of the middle. It's just our woeful contested numbers that kill us now.

Also - no doubt Steph is a beast around the ground, but he needs to improve in his genuine ruck work. Someone like Goldstien for instance puts him to the sword, if he could master both areas equally, he will be the best ruck in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-07-08/green-robinson-out
Josh Green and Mitch Robinson face time on the sidelines after receiving the results of scans in the wake of Sunday’s fighting loss to Fremantle.

Green, the team’s leading goal kicker in 2015, will spend 4-6 weeks out after an MRI confirmed a stress fracture in his foot.

Bupa Recovery Report: Round 14

Club medical staff do not believe Green will require surgery at this stage.

Robinson, one of the best for his team in the past two weeks and the equal-leader in tackles for the season with Jack Redden, will be out for 2-4 weeks after his MRI showed damage to the syndesmosis of his ankle.

The injuries continue the Club’s shocking run of luck in 2015, with a host of key players sidelined during the season.

In better news, Captain Tom Rockliff (ribs), Pearce Hanley (hamstring) and Dan Merrett (hamstring) are all expected to be available for Senior selection this week for Sunday’s clash with the Sydney Swans at the Gabba.

Green 4-6 weeks out and MRobbo 2-4 weeks... dammit

maxwell_smart.jpg

G'day lads,

Considering going to this one, but can't guarantee anything until Sunday morning. What do you think my chances are if I showed up to the Gabba an hour or two before the match starts? What do you reckon would be available?

G'day lads,

Considering going to this one, but can't guarantee anything until Sunday morning. What do you think my chances are if I showed up to the Gabba an hour or two before the match starts? What do you reckon would be available?
At this rate a place in our starting 18.

G'day lads,

I don't see more than 18k at the game so you should be pretty set for a seat at the last minute.

I don't see more than 18k at the game so you should be pretty set for a seat at the last minute.

Cheers for that. Was just a bit concerned looking at Ticketmaster, as it seemed the ticket sales for this game were going relatively well, so that's relieving to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back