leobarryustar

Milking frees
Margin Mania Chess Club Member BeanCoiNFT Investor Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Sep 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
What with the advent of player ratings and Champion Data, is it possible to identify an individual performance that stands out (statistically speaking)?

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1989/151619890813.html

How about this performance from Greg Williams in 89 - 53 disposals, 6 goals must rate pretty high. Is anyone able to give an indicative modern day rating of this performance? I understand a lot of the data that is used today will not be available (eg, contested vs uncontested, disposal efficiency, etc)

Is there another individual performance that might rate higher?

Excuse my ignorance but I'm in my 40s & have never taken an interest in Champion Data or Fantasy Footy.
Just curious for you guys who are into it, How highly would Fred Fanning's 18 goals rate?

Carey vs Melbourne in 1996 is pretty good.

31 disposals, 15 marks and 11 goals.

I'm not sure if Fantasy Footy/Supercoach numbers or any metric that weights x points per particular type of involvement really translate across these long periods of time that well. The game has just changed too much. Nobody's ever gonna rack up 18 goals again if the game continues to be played like it is today. That doesn't mean that we can't yet still see the best performance ever.

Maybe comparing individual performances in certain stats to the average performance of the day in that stat and weighting that way would be better? For a purely hypothetical simplified example, 10 score involvements by a Full Forward in an era where FFs averaged around 8 a game might be roughly equal to 5 in an era where the competition average is around 4.

Here's a simple table to get the mind ticking over
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/allround.html
Thanks for that link. Gonna be hard to go past Dunstall's 17 goal effort, head and shoulders above the pack at 243 points. The points system is clearly rewarding big bags of goals

Gary Dempsey's 40 disposals, 22 marks, 29 hit outs is interesting

I'm not sure if Fantasy Footy/Supercoach numbers or any metric that weights x points per particular type of involvement really translate across these long periods of time that well. The game has just changed too much. Nobody's ever gonna rack up 18 goals again if the game continues to be played like it is today. That doesn't mean that we can't yet still see the best performance ever.

Maybe comparing individual performances in certain stats to the average performance of the day in that stat and weighting that way would be better? For a purely hypothetical simplified example, 10 score involvements by a Full Forward in an era where FFs averaged around 8 a game might be roughly equal to 5 in an era where the competition average is around 4.
I did a bit of work comparing individual goal tallies versus goal tally distributions of that season.

Turns that out Lance Franklin's 13 from a couple of years ago was the most extreme tally on record.

I did a bit of work comparing individual goal tallies versus goal tally distributions of that season.

Turns that out Lance Franklin's 13 from a couple of years ago was the most extreme tally on record.

Interesting. It certainly stands out as a big one. Any others that you remember?

Thirteen, Thirteen!
204 ranking points.

image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back