Preview Hawks vs Freo - prematch chat in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen how they have been travelling? They are not in the best form themselves at the moment. We should knock them off comfortably this weekend. What is means is probably nothing, being that it is in Tassie. Would love to have faced them at DS instead, we will likely need to do that come finals anyway

I try to avoid watching them unless I want to go to sleep. I did see some of their game last week and wasn't impressed.

However, they are a formidable opponent and we will need to be better than we were against Collingwood and Essendon.

Confident that we can beat them but we need to play consistent footy over four quarters. Not our best footy for every minute of every quarter but consistent pressure and good decision making.

I try to avoid watching them unless I want to go to sleep. I did see some of their game last week and wasn't impressed.

However, they are a formidable opponent and we will need to be better than we were against Collingwood and Essendon.

Confident that we can beat them but we need to play consistent footy over four quarters. Not our best footy for every minute of every quarter but consistent pressure and good decision making.
We need to play near our best for at least 75% of the game. The Dockers don't punish you quickly, it is a slow burn. You can be off the boil for some time and still be well within touch if you turn it around. The Dockers on the other hand can't lapse. We score ruthlessly when teams lapse and the Dockers don't have the gusto to score overly quickly the other way. Not as a rule anyway.
That is one of the true strengths of our team. When we click into gear, or the opposition lapses, we hit back and hit back hard. That is why I have more faith in the way Clarko directs the team than Lyon. We are dangerous and we close out games. Lyon teams just try to strangle games to death and never really kick themselves out of reach. We will always be a shot against them

Like Clarko said the good teams are going through a flat spot just trying to gouge out a few wins. Crappy teams like Pies, GCS etc all of a sudden look competitive.

This game will be a slog. I'd like to see Billy back but cant see who will get bumped out.

I've asked this question previously in another thread but I've had no reply:

I'll be up in Newcastle next weekend so would any Newcastle local know a pub that would screen the Hawks - Freo game? It's a bit tough as both Sydney & GWS play the same day, not to mention the League.

Usually the honeysuckle pub plays afl games (to my surprise last time I was there). Good food too.

We've gone from GF certainties and premiership probables to also ran's on Bigfooty. I reckon Lyon and Clarko know better. No way known we won't go all out this week. If it was in rd21 or 22 with a 2 game buffer then yeh sure.

We need to play near our best for at least 75% of the game. The Dockers don't punish you quickly, it is a slow burn. You can be off the boil for some time and still be well within touch if you turn it around. The Dockers on the other hand can't lapse. We score ruthlessly when teams lapse and the Dockers don't have the gusto to score overly quickly the other way. Not as a rule anyway.
That is one of the true strengths of our team. When we click into gear, or the opposition lapses, we hit back and hit back hard. That is why I have more faith in the way Clarko directs the team than Lyon. We are dangerous and we close out games. Lyon teams just try to strangle games to death and never really kick themselves out of reach. We will always be a shot against them

Only have to see the difference in points scored thus far between the two teams to confirm that one.
Hawks. 1376
Fremantle. 1133
Difference. 243

Last edited:
Call me confident, but I reckon we are playing better than Freo right now.
We got this one.
Maybe we are. What's more important though is that we play better than them on Sunday - and get the result to prove it!

When you go to games, you get caught up in the emotion of it all. That was especially so last week.
When you sit back in a relaxed fashion, with some perspective, and watch the replay, you pick up on so many different things that you missed at the time.
What struck me watching the pies replay was that we are still more than capable of producing passages of absolute champagne football. We just need to start doing that on a more regular basis...

Freo been taking a mental rest in the middle of a long campaign. Similar to us, in this respect, except that we've paid a number of times with a loss. Both teams will be at it full-bore this week - a challenger v a challenger. A couple of goals win to us, hopefully.

Ross will try to emulate thee pies plan of limiting scores from stoppages as the Hawks have been number one in this area for a few years now. But, what was impressive by the boys was that we manufactured goals in different ways like turnovers. As I have wrote before, move quickly from stoppages and spread in numbers. Block the corridor !!!!! I swear if we lose it'll be because of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to the battle of the midfields. They're one of the few teams that can match us in this area. Would like to see of our A grade mids at the centre bounces and less of the likes of Poppy and Bruest in there against this mob.

Don't understand the calls for litherland to come back in, has been abysmal when coming in this year. Stratton very down on form, probably lucky Fremantle play a small-mid sized forward line.

Stratton very down on form.... WOW!! are you watching a different game to me.. He's taken down 2 of the best small forward in the comp in the last 3 weeks, neither of them got near kicking a goal, and had minimal touches also. You realise Strats isn't in the team to get +25 disposals yeah?

Hoping breust doesn't try to take on all his tacklers in this game, he'll give away a lot of frees if he does against this mob.

sometimes he needs to just look for someone else instead of trying to do it all himself.

When you go to games, you get caught up in the emotion of it all. That was especially so last week.
When you sit back in a relaxed fashion, with some perspective, and watch the replay, you pick up on so many different things that you missed at the time.
What struck me watching the pies replay was that we are still more than capable of producing passages of absolute champagne football. We just need to start doing that on a more regular basis...

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back