Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer a Laidley, Tudor type - - - over Dew, Bolton, Basset etc. Like others have said I think our list needs and will respond better to an older coach who is very self assured and with plenty of life experience. Looking at all the assistants out there it seems pretty thin. Always liked Lade, has that old school hardness about him but haven't followed his progress.

Worsfold is the clear standout candidate IF he has the passion to take on the job. I'd say that 'IF' is roughly a 30% chance of transpiring.

So, let's assume for argument's sake that Woosha doesn't want the gig. We're basically left with a whole bunch of interesting yet largely unknown quantities (in terms of how they will perform as the head honcho). The 5 who would make my personal shortlist at this stage would be:

Brett Kirk
Leigh Tudor
Simon Lloyd
Stewie Dew
Nathan Bassett

A lot of water to go under the bridge between now and early October though, which is likely when the new coach will be appointed.

Worsfold is the clear standout candidate IF he has the passion to take on the job. I'd say that 'IF' is roughly a 30% chance of transpiring.

So, let's assume for argument's sake that Woosha doesn't want the gig. We're basically left with a whole bunch of interesting yet largely unknown quantities (in terms of how they will perform as the head honcho). The 5 who would make my personal shortlist at this stage would be:

Brett Kirk
Leigh Tudor
Simon Lloyd
Stewie Dew
Nathan Bassett

A lot of water to go under the bridge between now and early October though, which is likely when the new coach will be appointed.

Dew, Lloyd and Tudor are the 3 that are consistent talked about in the media

With this in mind expect someone else

He's actually a very strong character. I like his attitudes.

I think this was shown during his conversation with Dangerfield the other day. He will not back down and let individuals rule over the top of him. I like what i saw that day, and i have faith in him for at least the rest of the season

After his illness, and now this with Walshy, I can't see Clarko leaving the Hawks to start again.

I'd love it if he did, but I think his next decision will be a lifestyle based one, less than a footy one.

Bass would still be my preference; but my main thing is that we don't go a new age, modern coach like Sando again - we go someone with an old school mentality; like Walsh, like Richardson, like Simpson, like Beveridge.

We need a hard, demanding bastard - who understands where respect comes from.

How are Simpson and Beveradge 'old school'?

I'd prefer a Laidley, Tudor type - - - over Dew, Bolton, Basset etc. Like others have said I think our list needs and will respond better to an older coach who is very self assured and with plenty of life experience. Looking at all the assistants out there it seems pretty thin. Always liked Lade, has that old school hardness about him but haven't followed his progress.

Laidley is a dickhead. Did you ever see Walshy throwing Things around the coaches box and carrying on like a w***er?

You'd barely get a head shake out of him. Always thinking and keeping his emotions under check knowing going off like Laidley and Scott achieves nothing.

Yeah, he needs to be given a chance, and you're right, we dont really know much about him as a coach. Just think though, had he been given the job after Sandos sacking we would have rioted.

Walsh had an aura, he was tough and charismatic. TheLeftFist said it well in another thread- 'a steely general'. That doesnt come across with Campo at all. Who knows, he might surprise us.

Then there's the knowledge and experience gathered over 20 years at multiple clubs, hundreds of games in the box and a premiership. Campo is very green by comparison. It just all adds up to a vastly different profile to Walsh. I can't see him having the top job unless theres a bloke like Worsfold as the senior assistant.

We've lost an absolute diamond in Walshy. I can only see us going backwards now.

I love Bassett but understand that he didn't even get a second interview with us less than a year ago. That says a lot.

Dew is young. How hard would it be for him to walk into this club under the circumstances and replace a father figure of infinite wisdom and prescence like Phil? Insanely difficult.

How many assistants with twenty years experience are just idly sitting by waiting for our call?....

Brett Kirk
Leigh Tudor
Simon Lloyd
Stewie Dew
Nathan Bassett

Like Brett Kirk. But, did anyone really know who Simon Lloyd was until a few months ago?

Laidley is a dickhead. Did you ever see Walshy throwing Things around the coaches box and carrying on like a ******?

You'd barely get a head shake out of him. Always thinking and keeping his emotions under check knowing going off like Laidley and Scott achieves nothing.
and I would add is often detrimental as harder to earn respect. How can a coach to expect players to handle the pressure when they can't! They are an embarrassment. I think this is something that Walsh was extremely careful of. God I miss him

Scott Burns maybe, ex Collingwood captain, coached under Woosha with Simpson for a long time and with Phil for some of that time, now back at Collingwood with Buckley, they have their young list playing ok.

I have it on good authority that Burns will not be relocating his family. Didn't go for the role last time, and won't this time.

We've lost an absolute diamond in Walshy. I can only see us going backwards now.

I love Bassett but understand that he didn't even get a second interview with us less than a year ago. That says a lot.

Dew is young. How hard would it be for him to walk into this club under the circumstances and replace a father figure of infinite wisdom and prescence like Phil? Insanely difficult.

How many assistants with twenty years experience are just idly sitting by waiting for our call?....
If it isn't Campo then I guess it's start from scratch - back the guys who brought us Walshy - see what they find.

Agree with The Sloane Ranger , don't expect to be one of the expected candidates if we bring in someone new. The media have a different set of criteria to AFC's ... which should give us some confidence :)

PS - I can think of one footy guy that has been in the industry for ever, is over 60 and could be a great coach (but he'd never do it) Neil Balme :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it isn't Campo then I guess it's start from scratch - back the guys who brought us Walshy - see what they find.

Agree with The Sloane Ranger , don't expect to be one of the expected candidates if we bring in someone new. The media have a different set of criteria to AFC's ... which should give us some confidence :)

PS - I can think of one footy guy that has been in the industry for ever, is over 60 and could be a great coach (but he'd never do it) Neil Balme :)

Neil Balme? ...why not go with Neil Kerley?!

Maybe, maybe not.

I have no doubt that by all reports Walsh was an amazing football strategiest, but it also takes more than just a tactical nouse to win a flag. Ultimately we will never know we missed out on, but that goes both ways. All these calls that Walsh was going to win a premiership(s) are totally baseless and are based on our emoitions at the moment. Could he have won a flag as our coach ? Maybe, but there also was the chance that it might not have worked and the club might have been looking for a new coach in 2 to 3 years.

It's one of those things we'll never know, but I think we're all caught up in the emotion of it all at the moment but to quantify what we actually lost is impossible because we will never actually know what would have happened during his tenure.

Last edited:
Laidley is a dickhead. Did you ever see Walshy throwing Things around the coaches box and carrying on like a ******?

Ummmm, I'd class Laidley and Scott as meek and mild compared to Alistair Clarkson, he goes alright!!:eek:

Coaches boxes that Clarkson works in should all be "padded", and phones made out of reinforced steel!......

Clarkson is the best and he is definitely not a picture of cool, calm and collected in the coaches box...EVER!:)

Last edited:
Whilst Worsefold is probably my number 1 choice, I'm not sure he's keen on the top job, Tudor's one who certainly has an impressive resume, has experience coaching at junior level, then coached Geelongs VFL side for 4 years including a premiership in 2007, then involved with St Kilda whilst they were a powerhouse in 09/10, followed by a premiership as assistant coach at Sydney in 2012, now involved with the Roos.

Dew is the other who, whilst a less impressive resume, I just like what I've heard about him and we were certainly interested last time by the sounds.
thats the kind of pedigree I think we would raster highly

while we not get a Walsh 2.0, we will highly value the things that made him desirable. Part of that was having been around along time and having proven his worth.

It will be really interesting to see if Dew, Bassett, Bolton get much of a look in. It was only 12 months ago they were considered for the job. Not much will have changed for them in that time so our assessments of them at the time (and any other coaches who were part of the process) will still be valid now and be considered when working out how to approach this search

i.e. if everyone else was underwhelming, we are more likely to try headhunt a target ala Freo with Ross Lyon.

Goodwin managed to keep that keen football mind and insight out of every single media interview he ever gave as a player.

And every interview the Scott brothers gave as players made it clear they would one day be coaches?

When a player gives an interview, they are just trying to not create any unwanted headlines

And every interview the Scott brothers gave as players made it clear they would one day be coaches?

When most players gives an interview, they are just trying to not create any unwanted headlines
EFA

*Think of another Brisbane teammate of theirs ;) *

as Worsfold said, take PW out of our coaching panel and we're very thin for experience. next coach needs to have miles on the clock IMO. or we need a complete revamp of the panel. but given the circumstances, the players probably need some continuity.

of the names on the list, only Blakey, Tudor, Sumich and Ratten have enough experience IMO. then it becomes a question of do they want the job and are they a good fit for our club, particularly given the circumstances.

alternative would be someone like Dew, Lloyd or Kirk as senior coach with someone like Worsfold as a coaching director. I don't think Woosha wants to coach again; I reckon he might want to be involved somewhere in a lower profile role. whether that's 2016 and in Adelaide, who knows . . .

So far Carlton have given us Sauce, then Betts, then took Triggy.

Mick Malthouse has to be our new coach. Its written in the stars. :p Could start now if we wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back