Review Positives and Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives

Wellingham and Shepard. Both these players continue to go from strength to strength, Shep is doing a great job playing that under sized role and has put every single doubt about his potential to bed.

The second quarter was incredible, the pressure, the tackling, and the intensity was great. Too be nearly +30 in inside 50's and for Sydney literally not being able to penetrate their 50 was awesome.

Lecca kicking his first goal against Sydney ever!

Andrew Gaff, another 30+ possession game and has pretty much booked himself a AA starting position which is thoroughly deserved.

Another dominant performance by Nic Nat, and he is starting too take marks. Super dangerous.

Barrass was solid in his first game.

Midfield smashed Sydney and they are a decent midfield, totally overwhelmed Kennedy, Hannebery and Jack (Thought they made a bad mistake having Mitchell sub)

Sinclair continuing his great form, he is keeping Lycett out but could be the making of both these players at this club or another. I love the fact he is making this spot his own and making Scott work his arse off to get back into the side.

Elliot Yeo

Keeping a top 4 side to 1 goal in a half is brilliant.

Negatives

Didn't love the Booing

Little lapses but more of a case of taking the foot off the pedal. Need to be ruthless and on the ball the whole game against quality pressure like Fremantle and Hawthorn.

Our delivery inside 50 has been ordinary the past few weeks, and too many out on the full in basic plays this weekend but hopefully that will improve.

Thought Josh Hill was poor and i think he needs a rest this week.

Schofield injury (Hope it is no weeks)

Someone make a gif of the Sheed handball to Gaff goal plz

Gt0EMLK.gif

How does Jetta standing up for a teammate show that he's not a team player?

Personally I just think that when a player is more concerned with how things are going on the other side of the fence than they are whats happening in the game its a sign of mental weakness.

If Goodes and a West Coast player, i.e. someone on the ground playing the game, were to get into it and Jetta got involved then yeah, sticking up for his mate. Fair enough.

Traditionally, until Goodes incident against Carlton and Jetta's against West Coast no-one has ever defended players getting drawn into drama's with the crowd. Its just something that has never been part of the game and coaches, commentators, on field leaders or whoever would say every day of the week if you're focusing on what the crowd are doing your heads not in the game. And if your heads not in the game your not giving 100%.

I grew up attending West Coast games from 10 years old and have never booed and never enjoyed being around loud obnoxious supporters who booed either. But as an adult I don't have a problem with it. If a player gets booed a player gets booed. We don't live in a nanny state, you can't tell people what to think or who to like and you can't ban people from booing.

Adam Goodes gets booed every week. Thats just a fact of life. Is it a bad look? Does he deserve more respect? These are subjective questions. There is no universal answer nor is there a universal solution. If someone racially abuses him, eject them immediately. If someone boo's, who's to say why they are booing. Maybe there are racists booing, maybe there are non-racist booing too. Can you realistically call a boo a racist act? If the AFL start ejecting fans for merely booing at a game of football and that fan sue's the AFL for vilification is a court of law going to define booing as racist? I don't think so.

Whats going on is a cultural phenomenon which is highly complex. Its unfortunate, I even feel a little sorry for the guy. But he's played the role of villain long enough and short of the AFL figuring out a way to control peoples thoughts enough people are always going to see him as such.

SO far as Jetta thinking thats unfair, well too bad, sometimes life's unfair. Get over it. Do your job and play football. You can justify his actions all you want and no one can say you're wrong but end of the day if you're the coach of an AFL team the last thing you want is a player on your team who can't just get on with the job.

+ Our second quarter. Had the Swans on the ropes - They never looked like clearing our defensive set up.
+ Sinkers played two very good games back to back. Importantly went well in the ruck contests as well as around the ground. With Lycett and now McInnes (effectively) out we need both our rucks to be playing well at the main task.
+ Shepp! Excellent marking and just continues to impress. Breakout year fo' shure

- Entries inside 50. Swans were playing vintage roo's football but we have to get smarter about it.
- We really had a chance to give the Swans a heavy, complete loss to remember. Now they are still going to fancy themselves come finals time. They dominated us in return and scored heavily in 30 odd minutes of footy. Missed chance to get the wood over them.
- Saw the first signs of the web being broken down by a method that doesn't involves elite skill execution.

I'm probably reading too much into it but what is with the number of shots at goal that were so low they could almost have been touched by Sydney players? I swear I saw at least 3. I wonder if it has anything to do with our accuracy in recent games.

Could just be a coincidence though because Gaff has always done it, but I remember Shuey doing the same thing.

I'm probably reading too much into it but what is with the number of shots at goal that were so low they could almost have been touched by Sydney players? I swear I saw at least 3. I wonder if it has anything to do with our accuracy in recent games.

Could just be a coincidence though because Gaff has always done it, but I remember Shuey doing the same thing.

Gaff's was the only one that stood out to me watching the game.
And it wasn't that it was touchable, simply that it was such a conservative shot for goal from 25m.

Winning the hard ball as a second year player against 4 opponents is impressive enough, but the ability to spot Gaff on the outside and execute a perfect handball (so that Gaff could keep running) under pressure :thumbsu: I think Priddis has been great this year, but if he won that ball (he was lurking) he would have fired off a dinky little pass back to Sheed who would have then been pole-axed.

I also love Sheed's 90s boy band haircut :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So... how bout that big event at Domain stadium on Sunday!!!

Apparently there was a game of footy happening there too.

I can't tell if I'm really disappointed that none of the publicity is about how much we smashed them through the midfield all day, or if it's a blessing in disguise that we keep a lid on our expectations.

Beat Parker, Jetta and Lloyd.
Pretty pissweak efforts from them though.

I like Sheed but I haven't been as impressed over the past couple of weeks. Looking forward to him getting even stronger

+ Watched the replay last night and if anything NicNats dominance was even more striking. This guy is unbelievable, has been building all year and is the key to our finals series. He's on the verge of tearing AFL a new one, like Carey.
+ Priddis is an animal. Seriously. At some point in time this guy needs to be spoken of in the same breath as Cousins, Kerr, Judd, Matera. Nowhere near the same aesthetic qualities skills etc but hands down would beat all of them on the inside. Plus, opposition midfielders hit this guy at full pace and when he tackles them they just STOP.
+ When that prick Jetta crashed into Yeo (ps has he been fined for that?) I saw some real mongrel in our teams response. Gunna need that against the Tasmanians
+ Our defence starts at full forward and there's no passengers.
+ Talk of Hill's demise is premature. Tough tough gig the position he fills, he a very skillful player and this could come to the fore in September. He's just one bounce of the footy away from refinding his form.

- Umpiring this past fortnight has been dreadful. If it keeps up through the finals series it could end our season, not just halve our eventual winning margins. One 50m penalty against Pridda defied all description.
- No inquiry into Fox Footy deliberately obscuring that goal referal last week why?
PitifulSoftHedgehog.gif

A - Replay
B - Score Review

- Media bandwagon starting to roll against us. Deliberate anti West Coast vibe
- Some shithead threw a pretend spear at me.

Last edited:
Lousy 24 gamers not dominating the league. Delist. :p
Not saying that at all, but his form prior to his RS nomination was better.

His handballing in tight is A grade but still needs work on decision making by foot.

And my original point was that while his goal assist was nice, let's not get too carried away a la Swift 2009

We learned a lot in a 'finals' intensity.

Sinclair had his best ever game and well done to Cox for that.

I can't pick out a poor player apart from dropping off for a bit after half time.

What I like is that Duggan is out but Hutch is in and we still have Newman.

Gonna take hard bodies tho

We learned a lot in a 'finals' intensity.

Sinclair had his best ever game and well done to Cox for that.

I can't pick out a poor player apart from dropping off for a bit after half time.

What I like is that Duggan is out but Hutch is in and we still have Newman.

Gonna take hard bodies tho

Why? Hasn't Cox been coaching him all season?

Good to see Hutchings is back on the hate bandwagon after his first full game back...;)
for what it's worth I thought although he didn't use the ball as well as previous weeks as the sub, he didn't give away direct goals like Selwood did in previous full games, and his one errant handball under pressure was the same as Shuey and Yeo had. However, his pressure on the tackler in the contest was very good. Not his best game but not as bad as a lot of people are making out.

The rest of the positives are that we beat Sydney in the midfield, which is good because they have a very good midfield. I also thought Tommy Barrass did well for a first gamer. He held his kicks up a bit, but he probably did that as he reads Big Footy and knew he'd get called to be delisted on everyone here if he shanked one kick...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back