Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the un-racist boo-ers are simply covering up the rednecks out there....and there are plenty...

it has to stop ...it is inappropriate....and for all you people saying you boo but you are not racist....it is irrelevant, as anyone with an ounce of a brain knows, if Adam feels racially villified by the boo-ing, then there is enough of a racist element for you to cease your actions....at least if you are any kind of a decent human

please people --- boo'ing is not something we need in our game

Know one knows what happens on that day bar the whites arriving and almost trying to wipe out an entire face of people .....white Australia policy was still gun ho in the 1950's ...as in people believed in it

That's right. Nobody knows that because that never happened.

In fact, the Port Jackson colonists and the local aboriginal population got on very well until the Aboriginal people started dying of Syphilis and Smallpox. Pretty much the same thing that happened in the colonisation of the Americas.

1 out of 70+ aboriginal players is booed.

And its racisim?

Please tell me what links booing to racism?

The booing started well after he pointed out that girl. So please...enlighten me. + i dont give a **** what the AFL groups say. I didnt see them standing up for Hird/Jobe and the rest of the Essendon players for the last 3 years but now this pissant goodes cops a decree from the AFL for the booing to stop after a couple of months?

what a joke.
Strange that the guy who was made Australian of the Year and speaks out against racism and racist taunts at the footy is the guy who gets booed the most.

I guess we'll never find out why it happens, hey?

Oh so youre allowed to boo whoever you want based on your perception but you think you have any power to tell anyone else how to act??

What a load of utter s**t. Hird was never proven to have given any banned subtances yet your perspective is that he did. And you are rightly entitled to boo him for it.

Just like my perspective is that adam goodes is the chief ******* of australia and i reserve my right to boo him.
God help me, I'm liking an agreeing with an Essendon supporter.

Spot on

it's gone beyond whatever it initially might have been, and ended up being done a lot more because it gets to him. a thing in itself now... you go to the footy to boo adam goodes. i don't pretend to understand why, racism is probably involved but it's not where every boo comes from.
there's an analogy between this and mitchell johnson vs the barmy army. it will be doing adam some psychological damage, and it's possible that is why gil has leapt to his defence, as much as any race issue.

Did you listen to Goodes AOTY speech? Do you accept that there is inequality in this country? Has your study taught you nothing?

I know of the inequalities... education, medical, funding, etc. etc. etc. I understand the issues there. I think that him championing for Indigenous equality is awesome, and having a public face to help this cause is a good thing.

However, I'll say it again though... how does jeering a player = racist attack??? That's all I want answered really... because I honestly can't see the link.

Obviously there are bigots that are racially abusing him from over the fence (and that is COMPLETELY NOT ON), however, to throw everyone who jeers him in the 'racist' category is not right; and for me who is completely anti-racism, I find it insulting.

From my perspective, my jeering of him has nothing to do with his race or creed... it is simply due to the numerous dirty acts he has committed over the years against Melbourne.

Last edited:
This is exactly. The fact that Goodes feels as it is....it needs to stop and thats it.
Rubbish....if this was applied generally everything would grind to a standstill. You can't just say certain things are racist because an individaul may interpret them that way. It's hard enough now because the PC brigade have made it so difficult. I have been to cultural awareness training sessions where indigenous people have said "it's OK to call me black as that is a fact but be aware that in some areas indigenous people don't like it". The same applies to using the word "aboriginal". .but apparently it's OK to be called white (as it should be) or even "white honky". I've also seen aboriginal people abuse people from India and Africa telling them "this is my country and you should go back where you came from". My wife also got into trouble from some people for saying she just loved the old "negro spiritual music"

He has never said it was racially motivated. How many times do I have to say this?

As far as I can see, his ONLY comment on the question of why they boo is that he doesn't know.

Can we stop attributing actions and words to Adam Goodes that are plainly untrue?

I didn't say he said it was was racially motivated. Robbo started this on AFL360 and I suggested Adam should have shot down the ridiculous notion - he didn't.
Now it's erupted, Goodes never used the racial line but now is going with it. Anyone who boos is now a racist.

i use the term losely to describe any actions that result on the spotlight being on him. just to be clear he's well within his rights to stand up for himself but by the same token the fans are allowed to express their feelings towards it as well.
So, standing up for yourself over racist insults justifies more taunts and booing? Objecting to racist language is "antics" because it means people look in your direction a bit more?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the un-racist boo-ers are simply covering up the rednecks out there....and there are plenty...

it has to stop ...it is inappropriate....and for all you people saying you boo but you are not racist....it is irrelevant, as anyone with an ounce of a brain knows, if Adam feels racially villified by the boo-ing, then there is enough of a racist element for you to cease your actions....at least if you are any kind of a decent human

please people --- boo'ing is not something we need in our game

I haven't had the chance to boo:(
If the Swans were playing Adelaide at home and The Curt hadn't hurt his hand ( how convenient) I would have had a much better reason to boo !
Shame - could have been a bird flipping boo-fest if it was our home game !:D

Have a look at what is written moron. Is Hird booed everytime he steps onto the field to speak with his team or post game? NO.

Is Adam Goodes booed every time he touches the ball? Yes.

No one has called him the Chief of Australia. He won Australian of the Year. Did he nominate himself? No.Again you have offered zero decent reasons as to why he is booed every single time he touches the ball.

Try again.

f
Strange that the guy who was made Australian of the Year and speaks out against racism and racist taunts at the footy is the guy who gets booed the most.

Courtney dempsey, patrick ryder, nathan lovett-murray all speak out against racisim with mike long every years at the dream time game when they played

they dont get booed???

Completely circumstantial but every aboriginal person I know sees the booing as racist because people don't like Goodes not being the submissive person he is expected to be. Being aboriginal myself I wish I had the courage to stand up like he has, admittedly I tend to let racist jokes slide so I don't draw attention to myself. Seeing how Goodes is treated for standing up for himself and his heritage doesn't really fill me with confidence to do the same. I admire him for what he has done even if the public's response has me a little fearful of following his actions as much as I'd like to.

Do Hayden Ballentyne, Luke Hodge or Ryan Crowley get booed everytime they touch the ball? No.

Crowley is too busy pinching to get possessions.

Had Goodes really been booed in the last 4 weeks? There were a few boos at the Hawks / Swans game and a few boos directed at Mitchell which got louder after Richards clobbered him. But it hadnt been an issue until the Coasters game?

It certainly hadnt been in the media for a while. Amazingly, once the media stopped constantly talking about it and calling crowds a bunch of white racists it died down.

Some here are blaming the AFL, but I think they have been very low key on it. Gill has been measured too. Its the media who are causing the fuss because they love drama, and if they cant report on drama they will create drama.

Jetta didnt help things either. But listening to him talk about it I can understand it.

I do love what the media are now saying: "no matter why, if you now boo Goodes you are racist".

So if Hodge gets a soft free the crowd can boo him, but not if Goodes gets a soft free. Oh no. That would be racist.

It's got way beyond a question of racism now, to a point of utter stupidity. It's just time for the braindead booers to get the hell over themselves and STFU. He ain't perfect, but who the hell is?

New rule: you can only boo him if you're a perfect human being yourself.

Lol, people actually think paying spectators can be told who to cheer and boo.

Wtf is the point of going to a sporting event if you can't make up your own mind about who to cheer and boo.

Can't have a mind of your own, just have to read the newspaper before the game to find out who you're going to support that week.

I didn't say he said it was was racially motivated. Robbo started this on AFL360 and I suggested Adam should have shot down the ridiculous notion - he didn't.
Now it's erupted, Goodes never used the racial line but now is going with it. Anyone who boos is now a racist.
Well, he did say he didn't know what was behind the booing.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps he could have come out and said some of the booing is not racially-motivated, and some of it is, which is surely what any sensible, sane person (I have my doubts some BF posters fit in that category) would have decided long ago.

If you think all of a sudden everybody stopped being racist because of that incident- or Nicky Winmar suddenly became loved you're wrong.

A day or so later Collingwood president had said something unbelievably stupid- but also accurate to society. "
''As long as they [Aborigines] conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them,''

Act like white people- fine. Be Aboriginal and proud- not fine.

I love how now we're looking back on the Winmar/Long incidents and saying how significant they were and how they faced racism and made a proud stand- how their was no backlash to them making those stands (when there was; Long said so himself).

Will be interesting to see how this is looked at in 20 years time.

I didn't say Nicky Winmar was universally loved afterward, but what he did had a whole other level of guts. These days people know it's not on, and so he can pander to the BS media's agenda to sensationalise stuff. In 1991 or whatever, Winmar would have had no idea that people would come in and support him for what he did. But you are right, it will be interesting to see what comes of this in 20 years. Only time will tell what the effects of this will really be.

It's one thing to speak out and attack the issues in a positive way
Seems to me Goodes AOTY speech and "face of racism" episode did nothing to invoke harmony

Paddy Ryder got booed a lot this weekend.
In an interview after the game he said the booing didn't worry him.Then he said There fans ,they love their team ,they want to get involved.
I thought that was the best comment ever on booing at an AFL game.

Booing has become a thing with the Eagles crowd.The opposition get booed when they enter the field.
Des Headland and his awsome tattoo got booed.
Tom Hawkins got booed when it took to long to get his corpse off the field
Tim Watsons boy got booed after freely admitting he was on some type of juice.
Brown from Brisbane got booed after Mat Rosas jaw mysteriously broke itself.
Umpie Razor Ray incites and works the booing better than any umpire ever.
Adam Goodes got booed for being a little to precious (in my opinion )
I mean fair enough it's a hard school but its a show,a spectacle ,a representation of the theatre of life.
Not to be confused with anything more .

Goodes told non-Aboriginal journalists his Aboriginal war dance at Friday’s AFL game was “a battle cry at you guys saying this is who I am ... a warrior and representing my people”.

“I’m not going to go up to (Carlton’s) Chris Yarran and do it because he’d actually be part of the war cry.”

So if your going to join in the debate, please at least arm yourself with some understanding of whats going on.
Ah the misquoting by Bolt. What a surprise. Have you actually read Goodes' full statement? Both times "You guys" was used, the context clearly indicated it was referring to Carlton fans. As for Yarran, he's part of the All Stars team that Goodes was a part of. He's done the same war dance.

Goodes never said it was aimed at white people. If you're going to join the debate, please arm yourself with anything other than out of context quoting from Andrew Bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back