Opinion Why Adam Goodes is booed and other anthropological discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he got booed every game for a whole season.

Goodes hasn't been booed every game for whole season either.

... but to say that the Goodes booing hasn't got anything to do with the monkey girl incident, then you're being purposely ignorant

No one is saying that. They're saying that not everyone who boos Goodes is a racist. Two very different things.

I've also been saying that this whole thing has been escalated by the media.
They've made this an issue that it didn't need to be.

Hey I just checked that other posters joining dates would of been good if you had as well instead of lying about it. Good luck in life I'm sure you will need it.

You've demonstrated that comprehension isn't your strongest suit but choppychester joined Jul 15 same as you so that's not a lie.

Great way to twist whats happening though, seems like you have plenty of experience with that.

I dont think Goodes has been booed every week this year, and yes Carey often got booed on a weekly basis, usually because he'd try and rough up his opponent at the start of the match every week. Buckley got booed every week. Tredrea & Cornes in their latter years got booed just about every week. It happens.
Only away games half of the season.

You've demonstrated that comprehension isn't your strongest suit but choppychester joined Jul 15 same as you so that's not a lie.

Great way to twist whats happening though, seems like you have plenty of experience with that.
It says I joined on the eleventh and him the six mate. Are you a crazy person.

It also means if your proud of your heritage you are racist by default. This links into my view of equality in the post above.
No it doesn't.

You can be a proud Australian, or a proud German, Irish, whatever.

There is no reason to be proud to be white. People who are proud to be black or aboriginal or whatever do so because their race has been horrendously mistreated because of the colour of their skin. That hasn't happened to white people. Being proud of being white is like being proud of having brown hair. You didn't choose it, and it represents nothing. You're not helping anyone or supporting a cause in need by doing it. It's like being a men's rights activist. You're just a f***wit

You're also aligning yourself with groups like stormfront and the kkk. If you're comfortable with that, good for you I guess.
seriously?

Yes.

Maybe im naive but I believe the booing has little to do with racism and more to do with how he carries himself on the field. Its become more prevelant this year as he's significantly slowed down and uses unsavoury tactics to win the ball which you rarely see any recourse for. I believe the media has made this a much more significant issue than it needed to be and now he's getting booed just for the sake of being booed. I agree with whoever said that most people booing dont even know why they are booing.

So if I think goodes is a dirty sniper and a playing for frees and whinging campaigner, does that make me racist? Just checking because it seems some people know exactly what am I am thinking. Or is it just the act of booing that makes me racist?

Imagine if we sung some of the songs here that are song in soccer grounds around the world. Is place would lose its collective minds. And they aren't even racist chants.

Maybe im naive but I believe the booing has little to do with racism and more to do with how he carries himself on the field. Its become more prevelant this year as he's significantly slowed down and uses unsavoury tactics to win the ball which you rarely see any recourse for. I believe the media has made this a much more significant issue than it needed to be and now he's getting booed just for the sake of being booed. I agree with whoever said that most people booing dont even know why they are booing.

Agreed!!
And now that the AFL has come out and said it has to stop I reckon it will get worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if I think goodes is a dirty sniper and a playing for frees and whinging campaigner, does that make me racist? Just checking because it seems some people know exactly what am I am thinking. Or is it just the act of booing that makes me racist?

Imagine if we sung some of the songs here that are song in soccer grounds around the world. Is place would lose its collective minds. And they aren't even racist chants.

If you boo him when he does something like the Surjan knee slide, great. He's a sniper and he deserves it.

If you boo him the first time he gets the ball (and lots of people will), I'd question why people don't also boo all the other dirty, diving, sniping campaigners that come to Adelaide Oval every 2nd week. Just about every team that visits here has one.

What you're doing by booing him before he's earned a boo is aligning yourself with the people who are booing him because they want him to pipe down about his aboriginal activism.

Those people are racists.

By booing with them you're supporting their cause, whether you mean to be or not.

If the media don't make a fuss about his unsavoury tactics how could the booing become as widespread as it has if that was the root cause?

If you feel as a white Australian male that you are the subject of some sort of racism or discrimination, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that you're actually just a f***wit.

Being a white Australian male is literally as privileged as it gets.
It's the worst form of argument as it shows a basic lack of understanding on the current massive amounts of everyday discrimination and subjugation Aboriginals face, combined with a lack of self awareness of the advantages being a white Australian male entitles you to. It's like a double sword of ignorance.

I've worked as a kind of consulting engineer on Aboriginal communities in rural South Australia, and really until you actually got out there and talk to the communities, experience their lifestyle, document the problems and comprehend the sheer poverty - you're sprouting opinion based in a fundamental lack of experience.

A quick example, and I've got dozens of these stories: I was involved with a project on an remote Aboriginal community related to a faulty water pump. It was my job to collate data, prepare information and get a deeper understanding of what was causing this fundamental infrastructure issue. Without getting too technical - whenever it rained, effluent would flood the streets. I am talking raw sewerage - candy bars floating by sort of stuff. The dogs would play in it, kids would then play with the dogs, the "water" would seep into the ground. The pump was quite easily fixed, maybe a day or two worth of work and a couple of hundred bucks worth of parts. The pump was kinda tough to get to but the community leaders knew where it was and showed me pretty quickly.

Naturally, part of my job was to ask questions as to what the service providers and government bodies were doing and why it hadn't been fixed. The abject racism, bigotry and ignorance I encountered from all levels of the corporate infrastructure world and the spheres of government from your everyday worker bee/management was confronting and appalling. People just flat out refused to help because, and I quote "a drunk abo confronted my missus outside the supermarket, so they can all go and get ****ed", to "they trash the stuff we give them anyway, so why should we help", to "unfortunately our workers feel confronted and intimidated by the people in that community, so we are unable to provide that service"... even the firm I worked for had people refuse to go there. Funnily enough the most pleasant people I worked with on this project were the Aboriginals. So despite all this utter ****ery that they've had to deal with, when this middle class, white, privilege male rocked up to their homes and started asking questions, they were more than helpful. Some were initially mistrusting, but you could hardly blame them.

This is why Aboriginals get more diseases. This is why they get incarcerated more. This is why they commit suicide more. This is why Adam Goodes is trying to speak out.

To weave this back on topic - considering all of the context above, you could understand why someone who has roots in and comes from that community would want to promote his culture and provide a voice of leadership, to try and do something rather than just attend and admire a smoke ceremony before a footy game. Adam Goodes doing his war dance on indigenous round was highlighting his culture and forcing people to start talking about race in this country, not in the context of fluffy political grandstanding that white Australia prefers, but in the context of showing leadership to his people, because he can and dare I say, must.

White Australia doesn't like this because we don't understand it. We are largely ignorant of the sorts of issues Aboriginals face and are therefore uncomfortable with the notion of having them put in front of us so abruptly. Ultimately that is why Adam Goodes gets booed - he disrupts the status quo and questions the validity of our culture of subverted racism. This is also, perhaps paradoxically, why he won Australian of the Year.

If you're in any way a decent human being, you would not only stop booing Adam Goodes, you would encourage anyone and everyone you know to do the same.

Last edited:
It's the worst form of argument as it shows a basic lack of understanding on the current massive amounts of everyday discrimination and subjugation Aboriginals face, combined with a lack of self awareness of the advantages being a white Australian male entitles you to. It's like a double sword of ignorance.

I've worked as a kind of consulting engineer on Aboriginal communities in rural South Australia, and really until you actually got out there and talk to the communities, experience their lifestyle, document the problems and comprehend the sheer poverty - you're sprouting opinion based in a fundamental lack of experience.

A quick example, and I've got dozens of these stories: I was involved with a project on an remote Aboriginal community related to a faulty water pump. It was my job to collate data, prepare information and get a deeper understanding of what was causing this fundamental infrastructure issue. Without getting too technical - whenever it rained, effluent would flood the streets. I am talking raw sewerage - candy bars floating by sort of stuff. The dogs would play in it, kids would then play with the dogs, the "water" would seep into the ground. The pump was quite easily fixed, maybe a day or two worth of work and a couple of hundred bucks worth of parts. The pump was kinda tough to get to but the community leaders knew where it was and showed me pretty quickly.

Naturally, part of my job was to ask questions as to what the service providers and government bodies were doing and why it hadn't been fixed. The abject racism, bigotry and ignorance I encountered from all levels of the corporate infrastructure world and the spheres of government from your everyday worker bee/management was confronting and appalling. People just flat out refused to help because, and I quote "a drunk abo confronted my missus outside the supermarket, so they can all go and get ****ed", to "they trash the stuff we give them anyway, so why should we help", to "unfortunately our workers feel confronted and intimated by the people in that community, so we are unable to provide that service"... even the firm I worked for had people refuse to go there. Funnily enough the most pleasant people I worked with on this project were the Aboriginals. So despite all this utter ****ery that they've had to deal with, when this middle class, white, privilege male rocked up to their homes and started asking questions, they were more than helpful. Some were initially mistrusting, but you could hardly blame them.

This is why Aboriginals get more diseases. This is why they get incarcerated more. This is why they commit suicide more. This is why Adam Goodes is trying to speak out.

To weave this back on topic - considering all of the context above, you could understand why someone who has roots in and comes from that community would want to promote his culture and provide a voice of leadership, to try and do something rather than just attend and admire a smoke ceremony before a footy game. Adam Goodes doing his war dance on indigenous round was highlighting his culture and forcing people to start talking about race in this country, not in the context of fluffy political grandstanding that white Australia prefers, but in the context of showing leadership to his people, because he can and dare I say, must.

White Australia doesn't like this because we don't understand it. We are largely ignorant of the sorts of issues Aboriginals face and are therefore uncomfortable with the notion of having them put in front of us so abruptly. Ultimately that is why Adam Goodes gets booed - he disrupts the status quo and questions the validity of our culture of subverted racism. This is why he won Australian of the Year.

It you're in any way a decent human being, you would not only stop booing Adam Goodes, you would encourage anyone and everyone you know to do the same.
Could not of been said better i hope not a single person skips this post its beautiful.

He was booed before the finger pointing incident for being a dirty sniper, but it multiplied massively after it, as a lot of people perceive(d) that he 'picked on' a young girl on national TV [Edit: and then again after the dance]. Had the "ape" comment come from an overweight slob with half a dozen empty beer cups around him, who knows, maybe Goodes would be getting a standing ovation every time he goes near the ball.

Last edited:
Idk I can't remember but I don't think so.

Let's assume that he wasn't. (I was there and don't recall any targeted booing of Goodes.

So my question then is this: what changed from then to now?
Have people just decided to become racist or did something trigger it?

It can't be the war dance because that was in response to the booing, so the booing started prior to that.
What started it? The first I recall was the game against the Hawks in round 8.

What happened in the lead up to, or during, that game to trigger the crowd to target Goodes?

Let's assume that he wasn't. (I was there and don't recall any targeted booing of Goodes.

It can't be the war dance because that was in response to the booing, so the booing started prior to that.

What happened in the lead up to, or during, that game to trigger the crowd to target Goodes?
Do you know?

There was a lot of media around him getting booed in the GF last year.

If you boo him when he does something like the Surjan knee slide, great. He's a sniper and he deserves it.

If you boo him the first time he gets the ball (and lots of people will), I'd question why people don't also boo all the other dirty, diving, sniping campaigners that come to Adelaide Oval every 2nd week. Just about every team that visits here has one.

What you're doing by booing him before he's earned a boo is aligning yourself with the people who are booing him because they want him to pipe down about his aboriginal activism.

Those people are racists.

By booing with them you're supporting their cause, whether you mean to be or not.
The problem is....they are just targeting goodes...
Which tells me its a personal not racial....but in saying this there are always idiots..which make up a very small minority..

I didnt hear any boos towards Jetta....if there were you may have some substance to your claims...

Do you know?

No I don't. I'm genuinely intrigued as to why he's been targeted because I don't believe that it is a simple case of 'racism'.

Edit: Ok, thinking this through further, Hawks fans booed Goodes in GF and then again in round 8, which seems to have sparked a competition wide contempt for him. Is there a history with the Hawks that I'm missing?

Last edited:
There was a lot of media around him getting booed in the GF last year.

Was there a suggestion then that it was racially motivated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back