General Problems Thread: 2009 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I use ant toolbar on Firefox?
Yep, I use Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/video-downloader-player/

Alternatively you can use a site like this - http://en.savefrom.net/

Just plug the URL of the video in and hit download.

Can you get a free upgrade from 8?
Yeah you can, if it's anything like Windows 7 there should be a Windows 10 icon in your task bar (bottom right) that gives you the steps to follow to sign up.

Have got what I suspect is a pretty n00bish question to ask.

After buying a new iphone 6, my sister recently sold her iphone 5, and being a total techno-phobe she gave it to me prior to sale to back up her content. So tonight she got a message from the lady she sold it to saying that my sister is still signed in to iCloud on the device. Is there any way i can remotely log her out of iCloud? Or do I/we have to travel out to this woman's house and do it manually? She lives the other side of the city BTW. I've logged in to iCloud tonight, and her new iphone 6 is showing up but not the old iphone 5. And this is probably an even dumber question, but if there is no way to do that, is it dangerous to give this woman my sisters password and have her do it? Just for a few mins and then changing the password once she's finished? Dunno why I'm even asking asking that last one TBH, I'm sure that's a crazy stupid thing to do.

Cheers in advance.

Unless iCloud is different, If you log into any cloud service from a device, you have to log out from that device. So that will either mean a trip out or talking through logging out over the phone to the new owner.

And don't give anyone your password, just as a rule of thumb.

Surely if she's already logged in, couldn't that lady just sign out?

Find it strange you can't log out remotely in the event you did lose your device.

Don't have an iphone/icloud so not sure how it all works.

Have got what I suspect is a pretty n00bish question to ask.

After buying a new iphone 6, my sister recently sold her iphone 5, and being a total techno-phobe she gave it to me prior to sale to back up her content. So tonight she got a message from the lady she sold it to saying that my sister is still signed in to iCloud on the device. Is there any way i can remotely log her out of iCloud? Or do I/we have to travel out to this woman's house and do it manually? She lives the other side of the city BTW. I've logged in to iCloud tonight, and her new iphone 6 is showing up but not the old iphone 5. And this is probably an even dumber question, but if there is no way to do that, is it dangerous to give this woman my sisters password and have her do it? Just for a few mins and then changing the password once she's finished? Dunno why I'm even asking asking that last one TBH, I'm sure that's a crazy stupid thing to do.

Cheers in advance.

Remove the device from her iCloud
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702?locale=en_GB

Surely if she's already logged in, couldn't that lady just sign out?

Find it strange you can't log out remotely in the event you did lose your device.

Don't have an iphone/icloud so not sure how it all works.

Nope, the Find My iPhone feature is a pain in the ass. Even when you wipe the device it'll prompt for an iCloud password when it verifies the device. I mean....... it's great because it's secure, but horrible from the point of view that Apple doesn't seem to mention anything about it when you enable to feature. Plus, if you buy one second hand and the previous owner plays hardball, unless you have solid proof of purchase the device is an overpriced brick.

Last edited:
Remove the device from her iCloud
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702?locale=en_GB

Nope, the Find My iPhone feature is a pain in the ass. Even when you wipe the device it'll prompt for an iCloud password when it verifies the device. I mean....... it's great because it's secure, but horrible from the point of view that Apple doesn't seem to mention anything about it when you enable to feature. Plus, if you buy one second hand and the previous owner plays hardball, unless you have solid proof of purchase the device is an overpriced brick.

Cheers mate. So I logged into my sisters Find My iPhone, found her old phone, erased the content, and then clicked on Remove Device. My sister just got an email from Find my iPhone saying that her old device is being erased. So you reckon that means she's now logged out of iCloud on that device?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers mate. So I logged into my sisters Find My iPhone, found her old phone, erased the content, and then clicked on Remove Device. My sister just got an email from Find my iPhone saying that her old device is being erased. So you reckon that means she's now logged out of iCloud on that device?
In theory......yes. I assume what you did basically factory reset the phone, the new owner will just have to set the phone up from scratch, and they shouldn't have the prompt for the old icloud details any more

That's very interesting because 8 is total balls. I hate it. Question is, is 10 any better?

I'm still waiting for the update to appear for me, but from what I've read most of the annoyances are gone. The big one for me was the start menu which they've changed a lot, and it sounds like you can make it look like a traditional start menu instead of that tile s**t, without the use of a 3rd party app like Start8. The other one was full screen apps and that was fixed in an earlier update.

I'm still waiting for the update to appear for me, but from what I've read most of the annoyances are gone. The big one for me was the start menu which they've changed a lot, and it sounds like you can make it look like a traditional start menu instead of that tile s**t, without the use of a 3rd party app like Start8. The other one was full screen apps and that was fixed in an earlier update.

You can force it to download. Thats what I am doing right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/

(I know its for an error but do this process and it will work)

You can force it to download. Thats what I am doing right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/

(I know its for an error but do this process and it will work)

Don't you need the Product ID in order to do this?, if so It's no good to me as i don't have my product ID as I got a bro in law to build my computer for me.

Think I just got to be patient in getting the update. fingers crossed i'm not waiting too long.

Should I do this ?

I have windows 7, have reserved my free upgrade but am still in the que and have to wait for the prompt to download it....if i clicked the link, can i force the download to give it to me now ?

I havent had much luck forcing it to download - it downloads but doesnt install. But there is a media creation tool that downloads is at an .iso

Loading the iso onto a virtual machine as we speak.

In theory......yes. I assume what you did basically factory reset the phone, the new owner will just have to set the phone up from scratch, and they shouldn't have the prompt for the old icloud details any more

Thanks for the help mate. Issue resolved, saved me a trip across other side of city. Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back