Not a stalker, just a fan: Simmo's interview summaries

Remove this Banner Ad

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi all,

Per requests from others in the changes thread, sticking media summaries in here from now on. Mods - please feel free to torpedo this if you don't think it's warranted.

Today's presser:

- Asked re Barrass: Not this week. Going in unchanged. Save you the trip to the airport.
- First time since 2012 we're going unchanged.
- Asked re Duggan/Butler: Both were close - Butler is two days off being right to play - getting another week. Liam is a first year player who we're managing. Probably off to EP.
- We've got players in form and no new injuries - which is a luxury of shorts - but good management from the fitness boys.
- Asked re the next 5 weeks: We've blocked our season up - we're in the middle of a four game block. We're not looking past the next two or three weeks. We know this half of the season is a lot tougher.
- For us, this is partly the unknown - we'll find a lot out about ourselves - but we're excited. The players are up and about. We want the challenge.
- This is the second or third game in this particular block. Not about who we play, we just block the year up.
- Different blocks occasionally have a different focus - not going into too much detail obviously - but it's really about how we deal with runs of losses or wins.
- Asked re Etihad: we like playing there. I'm not sure what our W/L is there - but we don't worry about our recent or past form there. We're not intimidated. Pies at Etihad is a little different.
- It's a quick deck - and the climate is a certainty for us - we plan and train for it here with the reduced ground size. We're ready.
- You'd be pretty worried if you had to change the way you play to suit each ground. We want to play the same way everywhere. I think the Pies are the same.
- Asked re: Pies/Melbourne loss streak: You can chop the data up in many ways. We're at a point where a lot of these games will come with bad stats. We're not worried about the past.
- Pies are a young side that is putting a lot of pressure on. It's a good brand, a tough one to combat. It's a finals brand of footy that Bucks has them playing. I know they haven't got up recently but it's a style that will stand up in big games.
- Asked re tagging - won't go into details about what we're doing tactically. We won't change too much about how we play.
- Asked re Pies desperation after the close losses: I don't know if they've come up empty in the last three weeks - they've proven they can match it with the best. They're in form. Our challenge is to handle their pressure.
- I for one am bloody delighted to see bombard remember to stick a * gag in this summary. What a delightfully meta joke.*
- Asked re midfield form: "They're playing alright - not too bad." - they had a good result on the weekend, but we're not getting carried away. More development to come.
- Asked re Yeo to the midfield: I wasn't part of the recruitment of Elliott, but I can see why we did. He's versatile, he's tall. He wants to be in the midfield - but he's developing versatility at the same time.
- I think last weekend we had 13 goalkickers but we haven't been doing that consistently enough.
- Every team wants goals from their midfield, but you need to balance against defensive challenges and supporting the forwards.
- Asked re Priddis form: His numbers he's up this year from last. His influence on the side and the way he leads is massive. His leadership has elevated from last year. He's having a better season from my point of view.
- Asked re Gaff's 100th and Rawlings' influence thereof: I'm glady he said that about Brady. Brady is a new coach but his experience as a run-with player will be invaluable for Andrew. Also Gaff is being educated about being more flexible - and he's getting more mature.
- Asked re stoppage congestion debate that has flooded the commentariat this week: I don't have strong thoughts on it really - but I'm glad there's debate. I'd be stunned if we make a change mid-season. I don't think the way the game is played has changed that much in recent years. Happy they're looking at it, the game always works itself out. Let's not do kneejerk reactions though.
- Asked re Eagles' spread at stoppages: Every club has a different strategy. All teams want to spread well, though. Whether they want to congest it before a stoppage varies more, but the spread is fairly uniform across all clubs. The game balances itself out as the weather gets better and it'll open up a bit more.
- Most teams don't have Nicnat in the ruck either, but we're seeing a lot of third man up across the league as an alternative.
- Asked re Brady - I saw him get stitched up occasionally when we played together - I'm sure he's teaching Gaff what taggers don't like as much as anything else.

* May not have happened.

Great work bombard I've always enjoyed the summaries.

Was Brady or Jade Rawlings the good one? Or neither?

Great work bombard I've always enjoyed the summaries.

Was Brady or Jade Rawlings the good one? Or neither?
Jade was the over-rated forward.

Brady was the midfielder/tagger who worked pretty hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Footy show - not a lot of substance to add but spoke well again.

And now I can go back to the cricket.
Liked his crack about being able to sit nude in the coaches box because he's boring. Has a good sense of humour does SimmoSimmo

Jade was the over-rated forward.

Brady was the midfielder/tagger who worked pretty hard
It's interesting how blue collar our coaches are (in fact how they've been as long as I can remember how, except maybe Suma)

Simmo's post-game presser (Pies, Etihad):

- Asked re: kicking on goal problems - yeah it was frustrating to have so many things working well when that wasn't. It has happened a few times this year. It's become a habit.
- Hard to change the game when a lot of things were going right - we just couldn't convert.
- We didn't change too much - we did what we needed to do - but it took a while.
- Same problem cost us games last year - but they're the type of things that cost you games against good sides.
- The efficiency going forward was really high when you dominate inside 50s - but the kicking was poor. I don't know how to fix that in-game, though.
- This was a big challenge today - against a team in a similar position as ours - but to grind it out and play it pretty much in our way all day - it's a good outcome.
- Asked re: McGovern: Not great - only seen the game day footage though. At a guess - between 3 and 5 week injury.
- Asked re: Selwood: Knock to the leg - not sure what it was - but he'll be sore too.
- Hill and Ellis are sore too.
- We believe the umpires have bruised their windpipes from blowing the whistle too strenuously. They'll likely miss a week or two as well.*
- We're pretty beat up today - they're a pressure team - it was a combative game.
- We don't bat overly deep on tall backs right now. "Tommy Barrass" (love the nickname usage there, Simmo) is playing the game our way at EP, Yeo can go back, and a few other options which we'll have to look at. We can't rely on one player - our players have stood by that idea all year, and we'll just have to learn to live without Gov.
- Asked if he'll consider sending key forwards back: No point in doing that if they can't defend, and if they haven't been trained up in the team. I'd be reluctant to push JK behind play. We'll weigh it up on Monday and see what happens.
- Asked re Barrass again: I don't want to put any pressure on him. We'll look at Sydney quickly, but not in the next hour.
- Asked re the next month: We committed to something when we lost Eric and Brown - that won't change because we've lost McGovern. The players have got belief, which is great, and it helps our coaches do their jobs.
- Let's just see how far we can take that belief
- Asked re Gaff form: He's been sensation. Hard to play on, plays for the team. The milestones bring pressure and motivation equally. He has really grown as a leader and a player. He's got more development to go, but we're very happy.
- We can't goalkicking any more than we do. The upside is we're getting a lot of shots. We do goalkicking every session - 4 days a week. It's probably a mental thing. Tonight we missed some kickable goals. We'll have to grow through that challenge. These are big games with a lot at stake, but that's the unknown for this group.
- Unsure of the nature of Ellis/Hill soreness - whenever it's not bad enough to come off, I don't really inquire.
- Don't think Selwood's injury stems from previous issues.

* Ordinarily I'd say "may not have happened", but given the atrocities that took place today, I can't be so sure. Utter disgrace.

Last edited:
From Simmo's 6pr interview last night:

- Asked re goalkicking problems and if 'you were going to kick yourselves out of another game': "Another game? Like round 4 last year perhaps." [Bit of a Simmo smackdown there] I wasn't quite that worried. I thought last year we had our chances a couple of times last year - but for the most part we had good control of the game this week and we managed to kick away late.
- Overall I was pretty satisfied.
- Not sure re Gov injury yet - hoping it's a standard hamstring, which would be 21 days and we'll get on with the recovery process.
- Asked re alternatives for Gov - Karl suggests Darling, amongst other things - "Darling? He's never played there." I think we're underselling defenders if we think we can throw anyone down back. We have to be better planned than pinching your forward.
- Barrass is the obvious next one in line in terms of a key defender. Yeo has cut his teeth down there before. We have options before we go to the key forwards.
- Asked re: McInnes as a back option: That's another option we've trained up and played - he and Sinclair at East Perth this year - as a "what if?" scenario. We've planned for this situation - we have a choice to make now.
- Asked re Eagles resistance to dropping players back relative to other clubs (compared us to hawthorn in that respect): That's a good question. The way the game plays out - when it's a tight area of players - sometimes people just pop out the back at the right time. I'd like to say it's by design but it's not that easy to plan for.
- Asked re Lecca's dashes forward this week: There's a fine line between good running patterns and just hoping it comes over the back. Every coach tries to find the balance between anticipation and hope. Lecca is an elite player that reads the cues really well. He's not hope - he's anticipation.
- Asked re Sydney game: It's a big game. We've identified this as a really big game for us - although, every game is. We want to play when the stakes are high. We're excited about the opportunity but grounded about what we need to do. Swans will be breathing fire this week. A big challenge.
- We're confident we can come away with the four points so long as the umpires don't have a punt against us at the PubTAB like they did this weekend.*
- Asked re Richards/Tippett absence: Interesting time of the year - no-one is full strength. Everyone's carrying injuries. Your players that get injured at this time of year often don't come back. Colder months seem to exacerbate that trend. It's just part of the game for all of us.
- Asked whether we focus on top 2: It's not something we're thinking about. I've said we wanted to improve from last year - and I think it's fair to say we've done that. We've definitely improved. Now it's about controlling our own destiny. We had to rely on teams losing around last year. This time we can control our own fate. No game is bigger than this one.

* May not have happened.

Post-game from the Swans thumping:

- Asked re top 4 chances: Nothing's changed from our stated goal - to finish as high as we can - we won today, we're happy about it.
- Quality side we played today, albeit missing some players.
- For the most part, we were getting the right numbers that we value - although there was some legitimate worry in the first 10 minutes of the last.
- Asked if Simmo pulled the trigger on Schofield too early: wasn't strategic, he took a knock to the calf - he's a bit sore. Hopefully it's just a corkie, but we didn't know if it was that or a strain.
- Asked re Franklin withdrawal: We had to scramble a little bit - obviously Buddy is such a key part of that side - so we had to think about how they might structure up without he and Tippett. In the Port game they were without Buddy, Tippett and Richards so we went back and had a quick look. We had to adjust on the fly, but I would think Horse had a bit of reshuffling to worry about himself.
- Asked re the 3rd/4th quarter fade out and why it happened: Sydney are a quality team that refused to give in. I think they still felt they could win.
- The big thing for us is that we played a team that is mature and had been top 4 for a long time. It was pleasing we had guys stand up and play well.
- I was really happy with our midfield today - the spread and contested ball clearances - the KPIs that we care about, all ensured the game was played in our half. We were pretty dominant in the middle today.
- I thought collectively we were pretty good in the midfield. We value and rate Sydney's capability there - they probably didn't make enough of the opportunities early and we did, which helps.
- Asked re gameplan versus best sides: The beauty of coaching is everyone believes in their game plan and what they're going to do. The beauty of our game is that no one game plan is perfect either. If you've got belief in what you do I think things can take on a momentum of their own and I've seen it happen before at a number of clubs.
- I feel like our players have confidence belief in what we do. They believe in the game plan - that matters.
- Asked re Barrass - good to get exposure in such a big game. Really happy he got through the game we had a win.
- Asked re Shepppppppp - He's matured a little as a man this year - he's been around long enough to know the ups and downs of AFL. We've also settled him in the back half - that has led to continuity and confidence.
- Asked re Goodes/Jetta crowd issues: I'm a little bit surprised - there was times he was booed and didn't know why. I thought maybe we'd be a little bit better than that, but I'm sure it's a minority and for the most part the fans respect Adam and what he stands for. Perhaps it's more the hostile environment we're trying to create. I had no problems with Jetta's celebration.
- Asked if Simmo had a message for the fans on this stuff: "No message."
- Asked if any other issues re injury beyond Schofield - think we're good apart from him.
- Said injury management has been going well because the players have been diligent about getting their 45 minutes a day in.*
- Asked re: backline injury numbers and whether we'll start resting closer to finals - it doesn't enter the equation at all.

* May not have happened.

From Simmo's 6pr interview last night:

- Liked a lot about the win. Really happy with the result. Made the most of opportunities early - Sydney did respond - but the gap was probably a bit too big and they ran out of steam. Pretty happy.
- Sydney probably didn't take their opportunities early - it's possible we would have had a different game if they had converted early.
- We think our midfield has gone up a gear in the last month - it's a collective effort - and they're really gaining confidence. Sydney's midfield was pretty much full strength, and I thought it was won and lost in there - I thought we had the ascendancy, particularly in the second quarter.
- I wasn't disappointed to learn Buddy wasn't playing. We had a look at the Port game vision when they had the same missing players and presented a few scenarios to the players before the game. Our boys adapted well.
- Asked re injury management / resting players for GC: We're not in a position to rest players. This is unknown territory for us - we've exceeded a lot of expectations, but we don't take any game lightly. We haven't had sustained success - so we're going to play a pretty strong team every week until we can lock away a ladder position.
- Asked re Sinclair: Probably his best game. He's really been building well. Nic can't ruck a full game - and Callum offers a different sort of ruckwork and the ruck output doesn't really drop off. He's been building to this.
- Asked which forum member he'd most like to give birth to, he replied: "Ochre. He seems like he wouldn't put up much of a fight at all."*
- Asked re Wellingham/Shepppppp form: They're going to have to put in more another effort this week playing on talls, looking at Gold Coast's list. We played young Barrass as well - we've had to sub Schofield out - they've been playing tall all year.
- Asked re Schofield injury: Don't know yet - touch and go. Long trip to the Gold Coast.
- Asked re forthcoming games against Hawks/Dockers: People keep asking us about that, but I'm really worried about Gold Coast first. We'll worry about hawks and freo when they come up. The four points are just as important this week as they are next week.

* May not have happened (and one for the podcast followers, obvs)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back