Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG are taking the piss with the 99,000 odd figure they put up on friday night for the soccer.

The G has been known to bump up crowd numbers for the spectacle, another example is boxing day in the ashes, broke a record.

I have been to grand finals and i can assure you that the crowd on friday night was no where near in the vicinity of 99,000.

A piss take.

I agree with the Ashes. No ******* way was that a record.

If I remember correctly. There is 92k seats then 5k behind glass and rest is standing room. This means that at least 6k people wouldn't have been seen by tv cameras or people at the ground from the seating bowl.

159190-5ba85fe6-31fc-11e5-9ab0-19db9af17447.jpg

When the MCC is full to the brim like this then you know you are looking at mid to high 90s. A massive give away at the MCG for judging crowds.

If I remember correctly. There is 92k seats then 5k behind glass and rest is standing room. This means that at least 6k people wouldn't have been seen by tv cameras or people at the ground from the seating bowl.

159190-5ba85fe6-31fc-11e5-9ab0-19db9af17447.jpg

When the MCC is full to the brim like this then you know you are looking at mid to high 90s. A massive give away at the MCG for judging crowds.
I'm not sure, did MCC Members get access to the Reserve for this like cricket/AFL? Or was it more like CWC where tickets were sold for all seats?
The other way to know the crowd was getting close to 100K is the seats in the front rows behind the technical areas AND the seats way up the back were full - the ones with the most restricted view and the ones furthest away from the field, let alone the pitch.

I'm not sure, did MCC Members get access to the Reserve for this like cricket/AFL? Or was it more like CWC where tickets were sold for all seats?
The other way to know the crowd was getting close to 100K is the seats in the front rows behind the technical areas AND the seats way up the back were full - the ones with the most restricted view and the ones furthest away from the field, let alone the pitch.
They had to pay a $40 fee for MCC reserve like all soccer matches at the MCG and was kept for MCC members only still.
Yes the seats behind the AFL benches were all taken too. That would have been a rubbish view but.

Yes the seats behind the AFL benches were all taken too. That would have been a rubbish view but.
Actually no they weren't. There were 5 or 6 rows which were completely empty which probably adds up to about 100 seats. I'd say it'd be almost impossible to see any action there as you're effectively behind two sets of benches.

Hi all,

I just bought tickets through a mate. They are AFL staff member tickets and they say Row 0.

Does that mean I am on the fence? I assume the 0 is a zero because they normally don't use O further back?

Time to add another 50,000 seats, membership numbers are growing every year, this stadium is a disgrace at only 100,000 capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Crowds for 2015.

1. Real Madrid vs Man City - 99,382
2. AFL Grand Final - 98,633
3. World Cup Final - 93,013
4. State of Origin - 91,513
5. AFL Elimination Final - 90,186
6. AFL Anzac Day - 88,385

Incredible year of sport at the G, don't know when we'll next see another year like it.

The very top few rows in the MCC members Stand were vacant, hence the reason we didn't crack the 100K mark yesterday.

Top Crowds for 2015.

1. Real Madrid vs Man City - 99,382
2. AFL Grand Final - 98,633
3. World Cup Final - 93,013
4. State of Origin - 91,513
5. AFL Elimination Final - 90,186
6. AFL Anzac Day - 88,385

Incredible year of sport at the G, don't know when we'll next see another year like it.
Still have a boxing day test to go. But i doubt that will be big this year

Still have a boxing day test to go. But i doubt that will be big this year
Not seeing as they put the Woe Windies on instead of the Black Caps. Why would you want the big rivalry of the summer on Boxing Day the summer after the WC Final?

Not seeing as they put the Woe Windies on instead of the Black Caps. Why would you want the big rivalry of the summer on Boxing Day the summer after the WC Final?

Probably New Zealand's call there, wanting a home match on Boxing Day, hence we're left with the Windies for Boxing Day.

I'd be surprised if it cracks 50k on day 1 of that test to be honest.

Time to add another 50,000 seats, membership numbers are growing every year, this stadium is a disgrace at only 100,000 capacity.
What other stadium even has 100 000 seating capacity? MCC is the reason why members can't get a seat these days. Take that out and the demand would be met. Think it's one of the only systems where a 'cricket' club owns half the stadium. Like a Gentleman's club, yet that sort of stuff dried out in the 1950's..
Real Madrid, Manchester United don't have the same system.

What other stadium even has 100 000 seating capacity? MCC is the reason why members can't get a seat these days. Take that out and the demand would be met. Think it's one of the only systems where a 'cricket' club owns half the stadium. Like a Gentleman's club, yet that sort of stuff dried out in the 1950's..
Real Madrid, Manchester United don't have the same system.
Real Madrid, Manchester United don't play on a cricket ground. Nor do they have 100,000 members of another sporting club helping to pay for the upgrade of their venue.

The cricket club only has about 23,000 capacity, which is under a quarter of the total of the ground. Take out that and no way would demand be met.

With all this money, how hard would it be to install some sort of temporary seating? At $200 a seat, with a Hawthorn vs Collingwood Grand Final there'd be over 140,000 members, add in the currently 50-60,000 corporates and the like and you could sell 180,000 seats easily. In a decade we'll have half a dozen clubs with 80-110 thousand members, the MCG has to get extra seats soon or the game will become a farce. If I was gillion Mclaughlan I'd be starting construction on a 130,000 seat stadium pronto.

With all this money, how hard would it be to install some sort of temporary seating? At $200 a seat, with a Hawthorn vs Collingwood Grand Final there'd be over 140,000 members, add in the currently 50-60,000 corporates and the like and you could sell 180,000 seats easily. In a decade we'll have half a dozen clubs with 80-110 thousand members, the MCG has to get extra seats soon or the game will become a farce. If I was gillion Mclaughlan I'd be starting construction on a 130,000 seat stadium pronto.
Where would the temporary seating go?

How much would a huge seating redevelopment cost just to be filled once a year?

Where would the temporary seating go?

How much would a huge seating redevelopment cost just to be filled once a year?
Up top. Then just permanently add in an extra 50,000 seats. You can't say seriously that it will be all right in a decade to have a 100,000 seat stadium and multiple clubs with over 100,000 members?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back