Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

for me, this reflects how Australians are turning a blind eye to the things that really matter, like our failing polticans & their political party's (not the peoples), the growing inequality amongst Australians, the degeneration of our Public Health & Education, our mineral wealth exploited and pillaged by a few never to be seen again, our lack of acknowledgement and support of the 1st Australians - instead we turn our anger to booing.....pathetic.....

Ricky Nixon brought this up on his Facebook and offered a reply to me.

"Ricky NixonIt's part of tribal barracking for you team.....so tell me this are u saying supporters should not have booed Carey, or Ablett or Lockett everytime they went near the ball ? This bloke is being booed bc he's Australian of the Year and ******* of the century"

Booed because of the work he does in the Aboriginal community.

Ugh. Excuse us, Mr. Nixon, we can do without your enlightened commentary on this matter.

Swans supporters this week should go against the trend. Everytime the Champion gets the ball a loud cheer goes across the ground. Unfortunately I'm unable to go and support the Swans.

Sorry for the intrusion onto your board.

Is there any way that a Gooooooooooooooooodes cheer from Sydney Fans be used to drown out boos?

In a similar way to Roooooooooooo for Riccutio and COOOOOOOOOOney for Cooney or Kruuuuuuuuzer?

Chin up guys.

Goodes is a legend of the game, * me but I hate how he has torn us a new one over the years.

Jetta is a fantastic leader and fine example of sticking up for your mates.

Chin up, and know that they are not booed by me and mine, and that the game is better for having men of moral character by these two.

Is it bad that I just want this issue to go away so we can get back to the footy? The problem is it has opened up a Pandora's box now. Are parts of Australian society racist? No doubt they are, you could say the same about many other countries. People are prejudiced because, well, it's part of human nature. The Chinese even have a word for it, it translates roughly to 'regionalism' (my region is better than yours). That doesn't mean Australians can't also be tolerant and supportive of a 'fair go' for all. I'm just tired of seeing "free speech" used to defend shitty behaviour. This isn't just about Goodes any more. I don't blame Jetta for what he did.

It may be our 'right' to boo like a child, but is that really the level we want to be?

Spot on.

Is it bad that I just want this issue to go away so we can get back to the footy? The problem is it has opened up a Pandora's box now. Are parts of Australian society racist? No doubt they are, you could say the same about many other countries. People are prejudiced because, well, it's part of human nature. The Chinese even have a word for it, it translates roughly to 'regionalism' (my region is better than yours). That doesn't mean Australians can't also be tolerant and supportive of a 'fair go' for all. I'm just tired of seeing "free speech" used to defend shitty behaviour. This isn't just about Goodes any more. I don't blame Jetta for what he did.

Spot on.

Was just about to post the same thing its been a horrible year for AFL in general, to think what Mark Robinson said could happen would be the lowest point in the game history.

I posted this on the Geelong section, for your interest;

I never boo sportspeople, although I have been known to abuse a player who just committed a thug act, Jordan Lewis on more than one occasion. I have never seen Adam Goodes do a thug act, he is a legend and I wish he played for us, although I used to get annoyed with the way he milked the umps but that is part of the game.

I like the way Goodes has refused to step backward on issues related to his race and have nothing but the utmost respect for his views and the way he has put them. I think its a shame that people boo him because a) he is Aboriginal and b) refuses to play the game as a token black fella and being expected to take being treated as inferior. Good on Goodes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Robbo made a good point on 360 last night.

What happens if Sydney play in the Grand Final with the whole world watching and they see Goodes booed out of the stadium on what could be his final match? What are they going to think not only about our game but our country?

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is 'just banter' then you can pass off any offensive remark as 'banter'.

I know. More thinking of how do you enforce it. Do you throw out everyone who makes an offensive remark at the football?

I know. More thinking of how do you enforce it. Do you throw out everyone who makes an offensive remark at the football?
I don't know what is the perfect solution for this sort of thing but I imagine you'd have to warn fans beforehand that any racist or discriminatory remarks will result in eviction and if it happens, throw out whoever does it so spectators at least know that there are consequences to what they say. Stadiums probably already do this but perhaps they need to crack down on it a bit more? Sometimes people make these sort of remarks because they think that there aren't any consequences.

I don't know what is the perfect solution for this sort of thing but I imagine you'd have to warn fans beforehand that any racist or discriminatory remarks will result in eviction and if it happens, throw out whoever does it so spectators at least know that there are consequences to what they say. Stadiums probably already do this but perhaps they need to crack down on it a bit more? Sometimes people make these sort of remarks because they think that there aren't any consequences.
12 month ban at AFL games?

Robbo made a good point on 360 last night.

What happens if Sydney play in the Grand Final with the whole world watching and they see Goodes booed out of the stadium on what could be his final match? What are they going to think not only about our game but our country?

That happened last year in the Grand Final. Only Goodesy went on to re-sign for another year.

12 month ban at AFL games?

Lifetime bans have to be put in place. Any racial and discriminatory comments shouldn't be put up with.

Also the AFL should start to think about docking clubs who have fans thrown out for racial comments. This is the 4th time in 12 months we have had this happen and the clubs aren't answerable for the actions of their fans.

Want it to stop, make it cost more than eviction for the person - make it cost their club as well on the field

Hi all,

I also wanted to stop in here and show my support for Goodes and Jetta.

It is a total cop out and I've been arguing all morning with (EXTREMELY) shortsighted people who say "It's not because he's Aboriginal, it's because I think he's a w***er"
To which I ask... ok, so WHY is he a w***er? And not surprisingly, their answer is either something to do with the way he plays the game OR it's because of the war cry and how he "picked on" a 13 year old girl.... OR in other words, because they don't like it when someone sticks up for what they believe in.

I'm genuinely infuriated by the bigoted, self perpetuating crap that I've been hearing today.

I'd like to see ALL the indigenous players this round doing the war cry dance, I think that would be such a poignant display...

Honestly WHY would you even argue your right to boo along side racists? "I'm not racists but it's my right to boo along side them"

Been giving a few days off horse said
Would've been pretty draining for him copping all the abuse every week. This entire situation has been a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back