Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many whites throughout history have been treated this way as well, I understand what you are saying but lets not assume this behavior is necessarily a black v white thing, I think we all need to take a hard look at how we treat people of different origins if we are to combat racism and that goes for blacks, whites and people of all colours and creeds.
Some good sentiment expressed there, though I wasn't aware that there was a whole strand of 19th Century pseudo-science dedicated to "proving" that whites were genetically closer to monkeys, as was certainly the case for non-whites, but there you go.

Just on the subject of flogs. one of the brothers needs to stand down. Either the channel seven guy or the AFL CEO.

The relationship smacks of elitism and flogville to!!!

Bruce Macinveny or whatever his name is has been there too long and is another indication of an environment of flogs and he is not alone either!

Sorry, but that's not what I'm seeing here.

I think about the way someone like Michael Long has presented himself, and the way Adam Goodes has presented himself with regards to indigenous issues. Both have been outspoken, but I know which ones example I'd rather follow, if I really need to take those kinds of cues in the first place.
If you think Goodes is divisive, you'd have been one of the people shrieking about how Long on talk back radio after his run in with the AFL.

Tell me though, what is the difference between how Long presented himself in the Monkhurst / AFL incident and how Goodes has?

What a champion....doesn't let it bother him. Its like being teased at high-school....just ignore the bullies, Adam, and they will go away.
He's been ignoring them for a year.

would the AFL split the points? I might have to start buying to tickets to games that don't involve my team and having nice loud 'boo'. Might be the only way we make the top 8 again...
why does this point splitting never involve carlton?

Considering world history pretty much

history of japan:

LgcexYA.png

Both sides walking off is where this is heading. If that's what it takes to get the message through to the Reclaim Australia section of the crowd, then so be it.

Too late the crowd has left the building.

In fact local footy is become more appealing all the day than this elitist garbage!!

I actually dont care what others think,it is a fact if history.
You cant soften or rewrite what occurred.

Much like scaling down what happened in world war 2 in japan.
Well it appeared your argument was that as an aboriginal Adam is allowed to call it invasion day and take issue with it.

I'm simply wondering if the same logic applies in reverse?

If you think Goodes is divisive, you'd have been one of the people shrieking about how Long on talk back radio after his run in with the AFL.

Tell me though, what is the difference between how Long presented himself in the Monkhurst / AFL incident and how Goodes has?

Long was AOTY?

him winning that award was like bruce jenner winning that espy courage award. no one doubts their struggles and accomplishments. but the people feel like more deserving people were overlooked because goodes and jenner had the media on their side.

That's not the only similarity. Like the Australian of the Year, the Arthur Ashe ESPY is another award that, generally speaking, no-one gave a stuff about prior to them winning and that no-one will give a stuff about when next year's winner is announced.

Look at the past winners, for crying out loud. If you're getting outraged at Goodes receiving the award, you'd be getting outraged about the winner on a pretty regular basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Australians are proud of it. Which is why Goodes' hypocritically accepting an award from a public body and then using his speech to question the founding of the state was so inappropriate. Indigenous Australians have longer lives, better health and educational and life outcomes far in excess of anything they could have dreamed of before the founding of Australia. Goodes has benefited more than most.

If he wants to criticise the founding of the country he should choose a more appropriate forum. Obama said it well recently to a protestor at the White House. "if guests are "eating the hors d'oeuvres and drinking the booze," they're typically expected to listen respectfully."
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/24/politics/obama-heckler-white-house-lgbt/

Yep thanks Colonials for saving us savages from our own dangerous culture :rolleyes:. Some people just make me lose faith in the world.

That's not the only similarity. Like the Australian of the Year, the Arthur Ashe ESPY is another award that, generally speaking, no-one gave a stuff about prior to them winning and that no-one will give a stuff about when next year's winner is announced.

Look at the past winners, for crying out loud. If you're getting outraged at Goodes receiving the award, you'd be getting outraged about the winner on a pretty regular basis.

Lol having Tubby on that list makes it almost worthless. :p

Because Michael Long has been far more discreet in his dealings. Long and Monkhorst came together behind closed doors before doing their presser. He didn't make a scene about it right then and there on the field. I also don't recall Michael Long using inflammatory remarks or actions to get his point across.

I will never stop booing at the games.

Maybe the clubs shouldn't sing the team song after they win.
Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings after a loss.
I hope he gets booed more now. When is he not trying to get attention.
Ill make my way down to the game, im loud enough to cover a whole section of members.
Booooooooooooo! Goodes

Most Australians are proud of it. Which is why Goodes' hypocritically accepting an award from a public body and then using his speech to question the founding of the state was so inappropriate. Indigenous Australians have longer lives, better health and educational and life outcomes far in excess of anything they could have dreamed of before the founding of Australia. Goodes has benefited more than most.

If he wants to criticise the founding of the country he should choose a more appropriate forum. Obama said it well recently to a protestor at the White House. "if guests are "eating the hors d'oeuvres and drinking the booze," they're typically expected to listen respectfully."
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/24/politics/obama-heckler-white-house-lgbt/
I've listened to the speech twice now and am still trying to find where he insinuated anything you claim

Heh. One of those winners - mum of the drug lord. She used to sit on a daytime talk panel show Beauty and the Beast back in the day. I remember when the Cronulla riots were headlining, and the panel came to this agreement about how wrong it was for those teenagers from (insert 5 different races - including the "or whatever"ians) to be running around in gangs terrorising people. I was quite shocked actually, for a couple of reasons. 1) the insinuation that there's enough people of my ethnicity in this country to bump in to each other socially, let alone form a gang. and 2) that she was oblivious to the difference, or distance, or religion, between lebanese, czechs and pols. Outright ignorance and racism on free to air television delivered to your lounge.

Australian of the Year.

I haven't been to a Sydney game since Goodes hypocritcally criticised the founding of Australia with his inappropriate "Invasion Day" speech, but would have booed him if I had. He has every right to hold the view that Indigenous Australians have lost out, but doing it as AotY was out of line. He should have refused the award and made his point that way. He seems a sanctimonious, hypocritical man.

Having said that, I'd hate for him to go out like this. I don't respect him but I think the "punishment" of booing no longer fits the "crime" of being a hypocrite. I wouldn't boo him if I saw him this week.

Having said that, the choice is mine, and the AFL and the media have no right to lecture the crowd like a bunch os kids.

I really don't understand this. He gets recognition for his work with indigenous people and charity work and his acceptance speech should've been about...something completely unrelated? He was given a soapbox to do exactly what he did. Why should he have refused a golden opportunity, maybe the best he'll ever get, to educate others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back