Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

malkolm

Rookie
Jul 28, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
ALIAS Flog?

OH NO SYDNEY WILL BOO OUR PLAYERS> QUICK, GIL, WE WILL BE SAD PANDAS LIKE ADAM!!
huh? I booed Goodes til i lost my voice and i have no problem with it coming back the other way. As professional sportsmen they should FEED on the boos, like Jobe did, not have a massive sook about it and get your mum in to talk to the class. Booing adds to the drama and atmosphere at the ground. That's why it's been happening since ancient Greece.

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
And here is Goodes getting ridiculed years on for his reaction

Gee I guess your haven't ever over reacted

You admit then it's an over reaction .

Everything with him is an " over reaction"
Like I said, we can't all be as perfect as him

May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
Well it's a pretty simple one to draw. Of all the things you could have written about the Long incident, you wrote three things that were essentially the same thing, he wasn't too loud about it.

I said he dealt with it behind closed doors before having a presser. I said he didn't start carrying on on the field. When I say he was quiet, I mean the way he conducted himself, in the sense that he didn't allow his own behaviour take away from the message he was trying to convey. He was vociferous, but not aggressive or inflammatory. He copped a fair bit of flak for it too, but I don't recall him ever needing to start picking people out of the crowd or inciting fans with war dances.

If he'd been that quiet, and I was saying 'that's right little black man, go sit in the corner where we can't see or hear from you' as you're telling me I am, then I wouldn't have used him as an example. I'll repeat, he stood up for himself and by extension his people, did a lot of good for the footy community, and did it by stoking the embers of the fire until there was some flame, not by pouring gallons of excelerant on it.

That's the thing with you, you're very good at twisting peoples words to get the outcome you want. I say this because if you notice I also said he was outspoken. That certainly doesn't imply what you are saying I am. But of course you won't mention that part because it doesn't fit in with you trying to rubbish me.

Naked_North

All Australian
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There are racists who boo. Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. If you are booing Goodes you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.
Can I boo jetta or Franklin? Can you speak to the leader of the Sydney Social Justice Warriors and maybe create a list of people I'm allowed to boo when I pay my money for a ticket to watch the footy?

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Did anyone hear dermott brereton and bec wilson go at it on SEN ?

Too much time is being spent on this

Bec Wilson...didn't she write an article about the AFL's 'cruel and unusual rookie list' rules when Keiran Jack had to be downgraded because of a player returning from injury?....

mmmm...

Must have been quite the meeting of the minds.

Foggle

Debutant
Jul 12, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Whatever your opinion is, it comes down to this:

Is booing illegal? No

Is racial vilification illegal? Yes

People are well within their rights to sook, whinge and cry about the booing. There is no law against that. There is also no law against booing. So regardless of what everyone thinks, those booing will continue to do so and those crying will do likewise. I will be booing Adam Goodes the next time I see him play. I don't give a continental what Mr McLachlan thinks, nor what Goodes and Jetta think and neither do those booing. Just like the cry babies don't care what us who boo think.

So people who want to boo, boo away. It is your legal right and Mr McLachlan and the rest of the Moral Paladins can do nothing about it except cry. Cheers everyone!

images

malkolm

Rookie
Jul 28, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
There are racists who go to the footy.
Anyone who goes to the footy is supporting the racists.
If you go to the footy when Goodes is playing you should be ashamed of yourself.

Same logic....Pretty silly isn't it.
The AFL is providing entertainment for racists and as such supports them. Should probably fold tbh. I can't see any other righteous course of action.

If indigenous back then had made objects out of all the gold lying around, the spanish and portuguese would have been all over it, but that's just sliding doors

Spain and Portugal were pretty much done by the time Australia came onto the market (so to speak), but the if they had come it would have been more a Catholic holy quest to convert the locals (until they found the gold when it would have gotten that extra charge).

French, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Italians, Japanese...Depending on timing, it could have been a whole bunch. (somewhat ironically, the last in would probably have ended up with all the iron and gas in northern WA as they claimed the 'leftovers').

DERIBERATE

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Leeds, Bohemians
Course you would, especially if you said it loudly; librarians are incredibly strict
Our school librarian was a massive wilderbeast. We called her Conan (after the Barbarian) but later it became Gonan because it sounded even funnier.

If you had a soft drink near your computer you were ****ed though, I'll give her that :eek:

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lots of other players are/have been booed at times but not with such force and intent. It's certainly motivated by spite and malice against Goodes as a person. Wanting to denigrate him. Probably a hard core of booers and a lot of followers thinking it's fun to add to the noise.

If you, or anyone here, serially boos Goodes, tell us your motive. Would you say it to his face?
A lot of it is reaction towards the media. They boo because they were told not to. It's all a bit silly but unfortunately that's what's happening. Fans think Robbo and Gillon are flogs, and because they can't tell it to their faces they just do the opposite of what they say. Goodes is a victim of the media. Goodes didn't call booing fans racists, Robbo and Gillon did.

Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
huh? I booed Goodes til i lost my voice and i have no problem with it coming back the other way. As professional sportsmen they should FEED on the boos, like Jobe did, not have a massive sook about it and get your mum in to talk to the class. Booing adds to the drama and atmosphere at the ground. That's why it's been happening since ancient Greece.

Jobe Watson was crying on the field.

Adam Goodes has said he found it disappointing and frustrating when asked about it after the game.

May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How do we fix it? Obviously you can't evict all the anglos this late on in the piece? Or can we? Antarctica is free.
Acknowledging and being educated about the past would be a start, instead of calling indigenous people 'preachy' for calling Australia Day 'invasion Day' maybe we should try and understand why exactly they feel that way. It's easy for people not to care because they simply don't have to. Not everyone has that luxury.

Australia Day as a concept is fine, the date they chose to celebrate it is ridiculous given that it completely excludes the first people who ever lived here.

May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
You can't sidestep the invalidity of your request just by disparaging the lack of a response and asking the question again.

What you're saying is that you can't have an opinion against something unless you have a ready-made alternative idea.

Ok, just to clarify, you're saying you can be against something, but not have any idea about how things could be done better?

Sounds like a cop out to me.

PaddleFoot

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2008
Hollow Log
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Goodes is really a victim of the media. He would not have been booed as badly if Roos did not spruik the "muscle memory" BS, that just made Goodes a protected specie in public sentiments. Similarly Goodes himself never made complaints about the booing being racist until the media took hold of it and flogs like Robbo started to call fans racist. A lot of the acrimony towards Goodes can be attributed to the fans' displeasure towards Sydney's perceived unfair playing advantages and flogs like Robbo. Unfortunately the booing of Goodes became the outlet. Imagine if Goodes played for the Bulldogs, I don't there would've been nearly the level of reaction we are seeing.
No .. Hawks started it @ round 8. I was there. I could not believe it. There is a massive thread that will show this. What have you done ? Why did you go that hard on that night ?

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A lot of it is reaction towards the media. They boo because they were told not too. It's all a bit silly but unfortunately that's what's happening. Fans think Robbo and Gillon are flogs, and because they can't tell it to their faces they just do the opposite of what they say. Goodes is a victim of the media. Goodes didn't call booing fans racists, Robbo and Gillon did.
Spot on.

Now we have a whinge off and it's going to get brutal. Wait for Geelong in 2 weeks.

Every media scrum will be there just praying for the boos to be long and loud.

Remember, this s**t sells.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Onya mate!! Noticed sign-up date and thought you were a SWANs alias looking to stir up the nest!!

A lot of it is reaction towards the media. They boo because they were told not to. It's all a bit silly but unfortunately that's what's happening. Fans think Robbo and Gillon are flogs, and because they can't tell it to their faces they just do the opposite of what they say. Goodes is a victim of the media. Goodes didn't call booing fans racists, Robbo and Gillon did.
The "activity" has been escalating since 2013. They've only just been told to stop. So that's not the reason. It's an excuse to continue the reprehensible conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back