Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at an earlier thread on booing. Interesting that a few Sydney supporters had no issues with booing Cousins, however there were plenty of West Coast supporters who defended the right of opposition supporters to boo.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/booing-ben-cousins.362681/

I don't support the booing of Goodes as I think it is giving too much cover to racists, however I do at least appreciate that many West Coast supporters are lovers of the boo and will defend it even if it is their player copping it.

Yeah, they should just get over it. What's 40,000 years anyway, compared to the utopia they have received in the last 250 and still have no recognition.
You missed my point totally, humans have been invading one another for a lot longer than 40,000 years but really the only way to stop this continuing is to let go of our grievances and try and work together to make everyone's lives better no matter where they come from or what they look like.

Yes. I'm in this camp. His dealing with that situation was questionable. And part of why I understand those booing. I don't condone booing, I don't go to games to be able to boo (wouldn't anyway) but I do condone challenging Adam Goodes over his on-field and off-field behaviour and if that manifests as booing for people in this sensitive climate, I support their expression.

He chooses to be out there. He must deal with that choice. And hes doing a poor job.

Look at Hird for how to face constant scrutiny. Most people think hes scum, shouldn't be there, is responsible for the drug saga, is guilty -- and he gets on with it without victimising himself.
LOL! Pure gold! Hird just gets on with it victimising the others :$

I really want to know, how do so many people just KNOW why everyone else is booing?

You raise a great point here.

I also think that the ones throwing around the racist word are inherently racist and cant accept others think differently to their intolerant ways.

Just because they are racists doesnt make everyone a racist.

You missed my point totally, humans have been invading one another for a lot longer than 40,000 years but really the only way to stop this continuing is to let go of our grievances and try and work together to make everyone's lives better no matter where they come from or what they look like.

Its more easy to say that after u take someone land and kill everyone

I think youll find that being offended is an emotional response not a conscious decision.

No, he definitely should have thought of that fat mole's feelings before he lashed out with all his accusations on that fateful day.

Its more easy to say that after u take someone land and kill everyone
Probably stirring a hornets nest, but so many people are equating imperialism with deliberate genocide. I wouldn't make a single judgement on the motives of all cultures that ever sought to expand at the expense of another. Many were downright murderers. But on the specific issue of native cultures of continents unexplored by European powers in recent centuries the primary killer was disease, not wilful murder.

On one hand you have a race of people with no antibodies for the common cold and dieing in huge numbers. On the other you have a convict who likely never had a day of their life healthy enough not to have a cold. And somewhere in there we're told to spot a murderer.

Last edited:
I really want to know, how do so many people just KNOW why everyone else is booing?
Has even one person admitted they do it for racial reasons?
If not then what evidence or survey results do you have access to?
Are you using gut feel?
If you don't know for sure, then what if you're wrong?

Maybe the people booing aren't the ones who see the world in skin colour, just a thought.

But if you claim to KNOW it's racially motivated, please share your hard evidence.

Adam Goodes should be careful when HE decides an ambiguous action like booing is suddenly a racist slur.
What's next, applauding the opposition?

10 posts above yours on the same page

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He pushed Schofield in the back for the first goal for Swans.

Boos didnt start until that...

But dont watch the game, go by what Robbo et al tell you is the case.

Even if that were true (and I don't think it is), since when does a player get booed all game for a push in the back?

The "everybody who boos Goodes is racist" argument is silly enough, but an argument like that is not any better.

Non indigenous Australians simply just can't handle being called out by a public persona. It's pretty disgraceful that a player who stood up for his community, a community that has and is still suffering in modern society, get's told to get over it and then get's booed.

I can see the side of people who are claiming they boo him for being a "flog", even as childish as that is. He does not get booed for the colour of his skin. But it seems like people cannot handle any questioning of society in order to make this country a better place, because from their perspective they don't perceive racism to be as much as a problem. Because Goodes opened this can of worms, it seems like people are trying to convince themselves that the problem doesn't exist, when it's an underlying issue. People boo him because he made them feel uncomfortable. But maybe they should get over it and stop being a sook, to use the words of that majority.

I am yet to see any real evidence of notable on field actions that warrant him being booed more than anyone else that. I am yet to see any evidence where he complains or asks people to stop booing. It's only the media and Gil really who have suggested for it to stop. Goodes as just got on with the game, for which he is no dirtier than your average "dirty" player.

It's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where his mental health is clearly being affected and people are still trying to justify their stupid behaviour because "I'm not racist".

You're typical of so many people in this country who don't understand people like Goodes' point on indigenous affairs, but the worst part is you have zero interest in trying to understand it either.

Just say ISIS take over Australia with little regard for its current inhabitants, 200 years (of dubious at best relations) later and white Australians are the minority and every year the ISIS folks like to celebrate the day they landed and took over and everyone should be smiling and happy. (Oh and you still don't officially exist in the constitution by the way.) I'm imagining there would be some white people who would not be overly enthusiastic about 'celebrating' this day, especially if some of the negative aspects which originated from that date still existed. But don't raise anything about it cos you don't wanna sound 'preachy'.

I'm obviously not comparing anyone to ISIS or whatever, it's just an example to perhaps give you a different perspective and encourage you to maybe use some empathy to try and understand someone else's point of view instead of just crapping all over it.

Still havent got over william the bastard and his stormin normans mate, 1000 is not that many years

And what manner was that, exactly?

Well, that's my point, it's a real tricky situation. He was offended by something he heard and reacted to it. It just happened to be a child, albeit a socially uneducated one. But she's still a child, one who's been pointed out several times, then evicted from the ground, all of which was shown on national TV for saying something she probably doesn't fully grasp the seriousness of. But she's still labelled a racist, bigot etc despite her ignorance, how much of which is her fault (or not) is hard to say.

Had it been an adult making the comment and Goodes acted in the exact same way, I'm not sure the reaction towards him would've been quite so negative from some. And I include myself in that. But again, it's a difficult one to judge.

Pretty sure most have seen this, but worth a post here for those who missed it:

Personally I wouldn't be holding to much weight onto Waleeds opinions.

I've read some of his work and he seems to enjoy lumping together different groups, simplifying complex issues by making blanketing statements. To form only two sides of an argument.

In this case, its fine as it only polarising footy fans.
In the case of middle eastern politics, frankly ignorant and quiet dangerous.

Even if that were true (and I don't think it is), since when does a player get booed all game for a push in the back?

The "everybody who boos Goodes is racist" argument is silly enough, but an argument like that is not any better.

No offence bro, but how the f*** would you know when I started BOOING goodes?

I was asked when I started BOOING

I dont try to speak for all in sundry unlike everyone else here....

Also was ejected by my mates who are co-managers at Tramp for racking up lines of coke in the bathroom but of course this doesn't get air time because he is a golden child of the comp who can do no wrong.

Plenty of us have stories, especially those who work/have worked in hospitality...

Does it feel good to put this out there like that?

Personally I wouldn't be holding to much weight onto Waleeds opinions.

I've read some of his work and he seems to enjoy lumping together different groups, simplifying complex issues by making blanketing statements. To form only two sides of an argument.

In this case, its fine as it only polarising footy fans.
In the case of middle eastern politics, frankly ignorant and quiet dangerous.

To form only two sides of an argument? Quiet dangerous?

Tell me you're serious so I can unlike your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back