Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam really should take time away from the game if he needs to, he may be a strong individual but this whole debacle has reached new levels. It would really be effecting his mental health atm imo. Take your time Adam.

The media have played their part, for sure, but the fans (and by that I mean a noisy minority of racist dickheads) have played theirs as well. I wonder how many of the booers turned up to Reclaim Australia marches?

The situation is complicated by a number of factors, Brandis the dickhead saying people had the right to be bigots, Goodes being outspoken over issues that make white Australia uncomfortable, and the cyclical escaping of the genie from the racist bottle. This country was founded on it and will struggle with it for many years to come. Goodes is, in a sense, the most convenient whipping boy in this country's dark history.

The media have played their part, for sure, but the fans (and by that I mean a noisy minority of racist dickheads) have played theirs as well. I wonder how many of the booers turned up to Reclaim Australia marches?

The situation is complicated by a number of factors, Brandis the dickhead saying people had the right to be bigots, Goodes being outspoken over issues that make white Australia uncomfortable, and the cyclical escaping of the genie from the racist bottle. This country was founded on it and will struggle with it for many years to come. Goodes is, in a sense, the most convenient whipping boy in this country's dark history.
You're leaving out AFL leadership - or the utter lack of it.
They have had ample opportunity to issue measures to stop this in its tracks, they chose not to.
Zero tolerance means zero tolerance. On the field. In the stands. In the media. There are no exceptions.
Lets talk about how they have allowed our club to be publicly maligned by others, and done nothing. They have made our club & Adam a target with their weakness and ineptitude.

The question I would ask those who claim its not racial, it's because he's too outspoken and we don't want politics in footy;
Would you boo Neil Daniher for raising awareness of MND?
Would you boo Crawf for riding across the country for breast cancer?
Would you boo Nick Riewolt for organising Maddie's Match?
Would you boo Bomber Thompson for speaking out on mental health?
No, no, no and no.
Why is it only the issue of indigenous equality that gets your back up?

Your comparing completely different situations. The above people have made references to illnesses, etc that no-one would or could object to.

Goodesy has previously made some political comments, i.e. he views Australia Day as Invasion Day, that many people including myself found offensive. People don't like sporting stars bringing politics into sport. Sport is one of the few leisures we have in life where we escape politics.

I'm also sure that some people are boo'ing Goodesy because of the other issues but I fail to see any justification for them as you compare his actions on the field and he is no different to any other player. The biggest reason that people are boo'ing him is because it what everyone else is doing. The pack mentality can cause otherwise normal people to do things that they may not normally do especially when they know that Goodes is upset by it.

I'm not excusing the boo'ing, just giving you the probable reasons for it.

Your comparing completely different situations. The above people have made references to illnesses, etc that no-one would or could object to.

Goodesy has previously made some political comments, i.e. he views Australia Day as Invasion Day, that many people including myself found offensive. People don't like sporting stars bringing politics into sport. Sport is one of the few leisures we have in life where we escape politics.

I'm also sure that some people are boo'ing Goodesy because of the other issues but I fail to see any justification for them as you compare his actions on the field and he is no different to any other player. The biggest reason that people are boo'ing him is because it what everyone else is doing. The pack mentality can cause otherwise normal people to do things that they may not normally do especially when they know that Goodes is upset by it.

I'm not excusing the boo'ing, just giving you the probable reasons for it.
An the probable reasons are bs, every player does things that aren't taken well on the field, are they booed to no end for it? No they are not, Goodes took a stand against racism an now he's copping it, it's the one an only reason, it's the only reason this booing started, nothing else, don't sugar coat it mate, if what Goodes said offended you how do you think what the settlers did to his people offended him? He said nothing wrong, he's a proud indigenous man who stands up in the face of racism, what he's going through because of that is bullshit an shows how small minded the people of this country are. Didn't realise stamping out racism offended some people

Wow, a big and very heated stoush between Rebecca Wilson and Bereton on SEN 30 mins ago !
Normally i don't like Rebecca Wilson, but i agree with her defence of Goodes.
I used to be OK with Derm, but i think he is a deadset dickhead now.
He more or less said that Goodes brought all these problems to himself,,,WTF

Link to the heated arguement between Derm and R.Wilson on SEN :

What people say and do reflects themselves, Adam Goodes you are a champ on and off the field, as a fellow Australian I am proud of you and all you stand for.

You're leaving out AFL leadership - or the utter lack of it.
They have had ample opportunity to issue measures to stop this in its tracks, they chose not to.
Zero tolerance means zero tolerance. On the field. In the stands. In the media. There are no exceptions.
Lets talk about how they have allowed our club to be publicly maligned by others, and done nothing. They have made our club & Adam a target with their weakness and ineptitude.
That's true, but I'll be the devil's advocate here for just one moment. I could see the approach initally was to ignore the idiots and hope it would die away, as other players have been targeted for various reasons in the past (remember Judd after his gouging and chicken winging).

But the horrible truth is it hasn't stopped, because the racists have been emboldened by other racist dickheads from other clubs joining in.

The AFL have done too little, too late, and now we are where we are. In a very ugly place...

I just want to come and say that I've been booing Goodes since 2013 but I will not be booing him anymore. I am sad that Goodes is taking this personally. The antagonism is purely within the sports arena, I actually agree with all the things Goodes does off-field and would give him a giant pat on the back if I run into him in a supermarket.

Three Key Statement released in the last hour from the AFL, AFLPA and Andrew Ireland - they all view this as racism pure and simple

AFL Statement - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-28/afl-statement-on-adam-goodes

"Racism has no place in our game, and while I respect that people may have different views about what is happening to Adam, it is impossible to separate this issue from the issue of race."

Open Letter from Andrew Ireland - http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-07-28/open-letter-from-andrew-ireland

"Over the last few days there has been significant discussion in regard to Adam Goodes and his treatment by AFL crowds outside of Sydney. I hope by now our message has been received loud and clear. Our Club believes this is unacceptable. Our Club believes this must stop. Should anyone choose to deride Adam through booing, then they are part of something that is inherently racist and totally unacceptable. The people involved in this behaviour can justify it any way they like. Our Club calls it racism."

AFLPA Statement - http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/media-statement-adam-goodes-2/

We believe that Adam has been vilified for calling out racism, for expressing his views on Aboriginal issues, and for celebrating and promoting his proud cultural background. This is not something for which Adam should be vilified – it is something for which he should be celebrated.

and

This is not only having a significant impact on Adam, but on other players, who see the vilification of Adam as racist in nature. Whatever were the initial motivations of those choosing to vilify Adam, it is his view and ours that it is racist in nature and that it has to stop.

I am just shattered for the champ, to take time off really must be taking its toll, I thought it didn't bother him but clearly it does. One wonders if he will retire? Whether the booing is racist or not it is just so wrong!! I can only dream it seems that we will win the flag this year and give him the end to his career he fully deserves....and to stick it up all those bigots, bogans, racists whatever they are!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To sum up your average flog

" its not nuffin to do with race, i booed bloody josh kennedy the other day cos he is a wanka, goodes is a wanka, he picks on girls and sooks, wanka, flog, crawf shoulda been aussie of the year least he likes australia, bloody goodes hates it and sooks all day, booing is part of sport, he did a threatening dance, and attacked the crowd"

Three Key Statement released in the last hour from the AFL, AFLPA and Andrew Ireland - they all view this as racism pure and simple

AFL Statement - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-28/afl-statement-on-adam-goodes

Open Letter from Andrew Ireland - http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-07-28/open-letter-from-andrew-ireland

AFLPA Statement - http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/media-statement-adam-goodes-2/

and

Needed to be said

Watch goodes be called a sook for this though

This really is crazy and scary all at once.

The amount of comments that just blindly label people racist is unbelievable.

The blanket statements and calls to police booing of all things is quite distressing in a liberal democracy.

They are simply saying if you disagree with us you are a racist.

That is appalling and shameful. And terrifying.

This really is crazy and scary all at once.

The amount of comments that just blindly label people racist is unbelievable.

The blanket statements and calls to police booing of all things is quite distressing in a liberal democracy.

They are simply saying if you disagree with us you are a racist.

That is appalling and shameful. And terrifying.

Yup

Why cant we just play footy and watch the great man and people either enjoy him play or let him be

I haven't been on here in a couple of weeks, but watching the way Adam got treated on the weekend was personally more deflating than losing. The latter I expected, but for some reason I had this delusion that after everything, every glorious battle between the Eagles and Swans that some level of respect would be afforded. Apparently not.

This whole saga is so hard for me to come to terms with. As a self-confessed AG fan-girl, its heartbreaking seeing how this is hurting him. The notion that this in some way may undermine his career makes me so mad.

I may be projecting my own experience, but despite being highly decorated, the love Swans fans have for Goodesy seems to have been a bit of a slow burn. It wasn't immediate. The respect was; the acknowledgement of the talent, the skill, and the brilliance, but the attachment? That crept up on us, I think.

You start realising what a lovely guy he is - how warm and giving he is every time you see him in person. You start thinking about how much of a provider he's been for the team over the years, unsurpassed in his contribution during the glory years. That 2006 grand final was memorable - the look on his face after the siren is the most resonant image of that game for me. 2012? That was an act of greatness.

Now all I feel for him is a rush affection and this strange protectiveness. Which is pointless, given the staggering amount of bigots apparently populating society. This has pretty much wrecked football for me this season. Base, disgusting people. Honestly, it makes me feel sick.

People on this board, this site, in the media, bloody everywhere need to calm down.

Think for * sake.

Some of the comments in support of Goodes are nearly worse than the filth that has been thrown at him.

Be very very careful what you wish for. This type of vigilante crap and bans and calls for ejections and charges can quickly move to other things.

Don't empower this stuff. Be calm and rational people. It really is totalitarian some of this garbage.

Don't make the cure worse than the disease. Alienating a whole bunch of people with over zealous fulminations ain't going to improve things.

This. Is ensuring freedom of speech for non-racist booers really THE most pressing problem in our society today?
I know rights and freedoms are indivisible and one should not be more important than the other in an ideal world, but in some cases freedoms and rights can contradict one another and in that case something needs to be prioritized.

In this case:
Right to be protected from discrimination > freedom of speech

Because freedom of speech is beginning to impinge on the rights to be protected from discrimination and balance needs to be restored in order to ensure both are maintained.

Last edited:
Id just like it to go away

People throw around the racist tag too easily and make it into something its not

Id just like people to stop bagging the s**t out of one of my favourite players

Booing is just noise

When Toovey, Breust or Cooney get the ball their own supporters go up in what sounds like boos but they are just chanting their names. This must be an amazing feeling for those players...

Why not, as supporters, start calling out "Gooooo" when he gets the ball? As long as he is aware that its a supportive call it would quickly put an end to the opposition fans booing him as they would realise they are just cheering him on with the rest of the Sydney crowd.

It'd have to be some kind of campaign obviously, so you weren't the lone Sydney nut in the crowd that appeared to be booing. Probably not practical, but just an idea

People on this board, this site, in the media, bloody everywhere need to calm down.

Think for **** sake.

Some of the comments in support of Goodes are nearly worse than the filth that has been thrown at him.

Be very very careful what you wish for. This type of vigilante crap and bans and calls for ejections and charges can quickly move to other things.

Don't empower this stuff. Be calm and rational people. It really is totalitarian some of this garbage.

Don't make the cure worse than the disease. Alienating a whole bunch of people with over zealous fulminations ain't going to improve things.

I must admit I'm more than a little disturbed by the labelling of people as racists that has been going on, but sadly reading some of the filth that has been said about him I'm no longer sure if some people can be entrusted with the freedom to say and do as they want. I just don't understand modern Australia, people can't handle a contrasting opinion. And this applies to people on both sides of the debate. I don't think I would have used the words that Andrew Ireland did in his statement though. Curious to know what your response would have been?

I know rights and freedoms are indivisible and one should not be more important than the other in an ideal world, but in some cases freedoms and rights can contradict one another and in that case something needs to be prioritized.

In this case:
Right to be protected from discrimination > freedom of speech

No no no no no no.

Oh my god. Really?

Do you understand what you are saying? Are you the arbiter of "feelings". Who are you to judge what is discriminatory and what is not?

There are accepted social norms and goddam common courtesy.

Will you let me judge what you can and cannot say? I sure as hell would not want you to judge me.

People take this s**t so far off the reservation with good intentions at heart, always those, and then wonder what the hell happened a short while later when it bites then on the arse.

This is horrifying. People are willing to toss aside one if the very few true human rights that actually matter and is universal, undisputed and not artificially created in a feel good think tank of SJWs because it feels right or will grab a few votes off a special interest group.

Protip - there is no right that says you can't be offended. And that is where you are heading.

Think of this. A lot of posters have hurled insults at people for being racist without any idea at all of their private mind. These same people are screaming we need to be celebrating our differences and be tolerant.

You get it? See?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back