Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardhat11

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually, fifty thousand people are there to watch the footy. I don't think you'll get the same turnout for a pay-to-enter lecture on racism.

Sport heals wounds past and present .....we know that

You use the word lecture ...I prefer opportunity to educate .......

There is massive difference and clearly we think differently ....why do we have indigenous round then ?

OR women's round..........sorry you're wrong

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
Damn. Seeing posts on this thread, reading the vitriol from people on social media, watching punters at the footy...

Hard not to think that as a country we've been set back 100 years.

Well Done.
Calm down. Think of the positive things in life.
#IwassayingGoodes

Hardhat11

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Damn. Seeing posts on this thread, reading the vitriol from people on social media, watching punters at the footy...

Hard not to think that as a country we've been set back 100 years.

Well Done.

It's what happened hundred years ago that actually is why a lot of racism happens

BloodRet

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
Laughing at all the minnows
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich City, Detroit Pistons
I'm not so sure why it started off so apparently with Hawthorn. I guess after losing a premiership to the Swans in 2012 with an inflated salary cap had something to do with it. Maybe there's just too many disconnected, well-off Eastern suburbs ******s in the midst :p
You mean the same premiership that you lost on one of your home grounds, umpire rort (11 extra free kicks), half my team hopping on half a leg (Adam beat you with a torn PCL ffs :D), all the momentum in the 3rd and 4th quarters and Mitch Morton and Sam Reid as our go-to men up forward. LOL! Will never get over that one.

Apr 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the afl/sydney head honchos have definitely got a pr strategy on the go....

Yeah, I think goodes is affected by the "negative energy" but not to the extent that he'll miss a home game in front of his biggest supporters.

There is a fair chance that the two days leave is a step to garner public sympathy ie: "oh no look what you guys have done he's going to give up the game. You disgraceful louts".

They even have his mum out to defend him for goodness sake.

He'll rock up to the adelaide game with HUGE fan approval. No doubt about that.

Its about building momentum for the geelong game. You'll get the same bunch of boo-ers who dgaf what Joel Selwood says.... they'll continue doing it.

but its about encouraging non-boo-ers to feel so agrieved by the situation that they speak out against the boo-ers. Maybe to the extent that they cheer every goodes touch like sydney fans.

Will it work? find out in a couple of weeks I guess.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Feel sorry for the bloke. Fair enough people can not like him for whatever reasons but when it's effecting someone's life this badly people need to pull there heads in.

People support "beyond blue" and other mental health organisations but will happily keep bullying and harassing a guy who is now taking a leave of absence from the club because it's hurting him so badly.

Because you know do you? Anything here is heresay as everyone boos him for different reasons.

Yeah, lots of people boo for non-racial reasons. Some also boo for racial reasons. Do you want to be associated with them?

And it's hearsay. Heresy means something quite different.

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
How about the fans who pay hard earned to watch a game be left to their own devices, and not act like sheep like the AFL and its boys club of ex players, commentators, tee vee hosts want you to.

All of a sudden a person who boo's at the footy has morphed into a racist and a bully.

The SJW's have finally arrived en masse.
So you read my post. You fit in to the "I boo because the authorities have told me not to, and I fancy myself as a bit of a rebel" category. Well done, you must feel great leaving the ground knowing that spending your hard earned has not only provided the prerequisite game of footy, but also an ego boost.

a combination of the following were reasons first and foremost in the beginning

- sniping
- knees first (excused as muscle memory by roos)
- staging for frees

next

then pointing out young girl in the crowd (2013)

2014 australian of the year

mix those together with a pinch of racism (which im sure is a factor in some people). boom.

----------------------------------------------------

add new reasons/excuses that have come to light just now

- he said invasion day
- cause he's blaming us now (whites) for stolen generation

the boos reached an apex before, now i feel its grown as its seen as fun

if a precious all black went all haka on a small section of opposition crowd, in the middle of a game, they may well get booed. i know you think this is analagous to the goodes situation, but i disagree

'we' (as you say) did accept the challenge to go to war. what's not to understand?

the haka is not a parallel to the goodes situation. the haka is done to the opposition - the very people you are about to (legally) physically abuse (stomp, hit, tackle, ruck) and may end up having a punch-on with.

if goodes wants peace then a recently made up, and in no usual sense 'traditional' war dance is probably not the gesture to endear himself. he could have led the aborigines from his, and the opposition team around the ground and done a welcoming ceremony with burning gum leaves and stuff, before the game. he's just not doing it right, obviously.

i don't quite get you here, unless you are conflating 'indigenous' with 'traditional'? in which case i answered above. is there a hidden premise here that indigenous automatically equals good? i hope i didn't miss your point too badly.

I retract that bit about the haka.

I don't get however why others should tell Goodes the right way to celebrate his indigenous heritage. Stuff like you suggesting he should have "done a welcoming ceremony with burning gum leaves and stuff' - what? Who am I to dictate that?

I didn't say or mean that indigenous = good or traditional. I just said indigenous = indigenous. It's his culture, I'm not one to judge how he wants to celebrate his culture in the heat of battle on the footy field - especially given it was during Indigenous Round too. I'm also not an amateur historian that can tell him what is traditional or not traditional to him.

I doubt I am allowed to start a thread on this but could Swans fans defeat this booing with their own chant?

If they did a loud boisterous GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODES every time he touches the ball that sounded similar to a BOOOOOO except it became a symbol of support would that limit the impact of other teams fans booing him?

Hell it is too late now but if Goodes had addressed this a few months back in response to a question about boos directed at him by saying "I thought they were saying GOO-DES" and some stupid hashtag started of #IwassayingGoodes around the place we would not be discussing this right now.

**** it. I am not on twitter but someone start that handle and let it spread. We can defeat this booing meme with another meme rather than having to so badly polarise football fans.

#IwassayingGoodes

They should do a loud boisterous baaaaahhhhhhhh instead. Anyone else reminded of the South Park 'de tuk ur jerbs' episode? Jump on the pile guys.

Reign Man

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's frustrating to see the media and the AFL lecturing, talking down to, disrespecting and offending their number one stake holder, and the reason that any of them get paid to do what they do - the fans.

I just don't understand, in modern AFL history there has never been a player that has been booed by large sections of fans all over the country - because he was aboriginal. But now all of a sudden everyones a racist? How many fans has Gillen spoken to? What evidence has he got to call people who he's never met, racists?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And what would he think about the booing of Goodes?
He proberbly wouldnt like it as he is a gentleman and wouldnt boo anyone. Thats not the issue. The issue is Adam has brought alot of this on himself. He chose to confront the supporters with his war dance and now he doesnt like the backlash.
Not once has he thought that maybe he should look at himself. Everyone else is to blame.

swanniesLP

Debutant
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
the booing of goodes is because he is just a s**t bloke, a whinging diving campaigner on the football field. they do not boo him for his heritage they boo him for just being a s**t campaigner of a human bean

erghhhhhhhhh. a 's**t bloke'? Yes Goodes has dived a few times, but please tell me how the things he has done outside of football make him a 's**t bloke'?

Go through what? Being Boo'ed?

If someone racially said something, no problems, but if someone is "boo-ing" him because they simply don't like him, don't sit behind your monitor and tell me that's racist.
Ahhh they did and people still found a reason to make him out to be the bad guy because it turned out to be a kid.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone involved has handled this so poorly.

The booing started off as a bit of a laugh.
The AFL have given it oxygen, and made it a sport.
Goodes has antagonized the situation by doing that war dance.
His Mum getting involved and calling people racist doesn't help.

They've tried to put a fire out by throwing petrol on it - it's ******* ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as Mickey O'Loughlin lecturing anyone on what is disgusting or disgraceful behavior; maybe he can pay the crowd for their silence?

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
You mean the same premiership that you lost on one of your home grounds, umpire rort (11 extra free kicks), half my team hopping on half a leg (Adam beat you with a torn PCL ffs :D), all the momentum in the 3rd and 4th quarters and Mitch Morton and Sam Reid as our go-to men up forward. LOL! Will never get over that one.

Were you in a coma on Sept. 27, 2014?

Nothing will beat the sheer hilarity of Sydney starting strong favourites and then spending the rest of the match grabbing their ankles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back