Mike Sheahan picks his best teams of the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's & 2000's

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-28/mike-sheahan-names-his-best-teams-of-the-past-five-decades

Mike Sheahan has announced his greatest combined teams of the past five decades. His tribute to 'The Finest of Their Generation' is set to be unveiled in a mural at Etihad Stadium's Crown Lager Bar on Tuesday night.

Four players were selected in teams across two decades. They are Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett (1960s and '70s), Hawthorn great Leigh Matthews ('70s and '80s), mercurial forward Gary Ablett snr and Brownlow medallist Greg Williams (both '80s and '90s).

The long-time football journalist believed his '80s side was the strongest. It includes Matthews as captain, plus Jason Dunstall, Greg Williams, Chris Langford, Ross Glendinning, Dermott Brereton, Simon Madden and Allan 'Yabby' Jeans as coach...

1960s

B: J. James (Carl), V. Howell (StK), J. Schultz (Foots)
HB: B. Davis (Ess/NM), K. Murray (Fitz), D. Marshall (Geel)
C: J. Clarke (Ess), I. Stewart (StK/Rich), A. Lord (Geel)
HF: D. Baldock (StK), T. Whitten (Foots), G. Arthur (Haw)
F: G. Farmer (Geel), D. Wade (Geel), B. Goggin (Geel)
Foll: J. Nicholls (Carl), R. Barassi (Melb/Carl), R. Skilton (Sth Melb)

Int: K. Bartlett (Rich), K. Fraser (Ess), S. Silvagni snr (Carl), H. Mann (Melb)

Coach: J. Coleman

Captain: R. Barassi

1970s
B:
J. Rantall (SM/NM/Fitz), D. Dench (NM), G. Southby (Carl)
HB: B. Doull (Carl), P. Knights (Haw), F. Bourke (Rich)
C: W. Schimmelbusch (NM), P. Bedford (SM/Carl), K. Greig (NM)
HF: M. Blight (NM), R. Hart (Rich), A. Jesaulenko (Carl/StK)
F: K. Bartlett (Rich), P. Hudson (Haw), P. McKenna (Coll/Carl)
Foll: L. Thompson (Coll/SM/Fitz), L. Matthews (Haw), B. Cable (NM)

Int: G. Wilson (Fitz), G. Dempsey (Foots/NM), W. Richardson (Coll), M. Tuck (Haw)

Coach: R. Barassi

Captain: W. Schimmelbusch

1980s

B: G. Ayres (Haw), C. Langford (Haw), C. Mew (Haw)
HB: P. Roos (Fitz/Syd), R. Glendinning (NM/WC), K. Hunter (Carl)
C: D. Hawkins (Foots/Fitz), G. Williams (Geel/Syd/Carl), R. Flower (Melb)
HF: T. Watson (Ess), D. Brereton (Haw/Syd/Coll), B. Quinlan (Foots/Fitz)
F: G. Ablett snr (Haw/Geel), J. Dunstall (Haw), L. Matthews (Haw)
Foll: S. Madden (Ess), G. Healy (Melb/Syd), D. Weightman (Rich)

Int: T. Daniher (SM/Ess), P. Daicos (Coll), G. Raines (Rich/Coll/Ess/BB), J. Platten (Haw)

Coach: A. Jeans

Captain: L. Matthews

1990s
B:
G. Wanganeen (Ess/PA), S. Silvagni (Carl), B. Hart (Adel)
HB: G. McKenna (WC), G. Jakovich (WC), A. McLeod (Adel)
C: P. Matera (WC), G. Williams (Geel/Syd/Carl), C. Bradley (Carl)
HF: D. Jarman (Haw/Adel), W. Carey (NM/Adel), J. Hird (Ess)
F: G. Ablett snr (Haw/Geel), T. Lockett (StK/Syd), G. Hocking (Geel)
Foll: S. Rehn (Adel/Haw), P. Kelly (Syd), R. Harvey (StK)

Int: S. Kernahan (Carl), G. Brown (Coll), P. Salmon (Ess/Haw), C. Grant (Foots/WB)

Coach: D. Pagan

Captain: W. Carey

2000s
B
: C. Johnson (Fitz/BL), M. Scarlett (Geel), D. Fletcher (Ess)
HB: L. Hodge (Haw), J. Leppitsch (BL), N. Lappin (BL)
C: N. Buckley (BB/Coll), M. Voss (BL), S. Black (BL)
HF: N. Riewoldt (StK), J. Brown (BL), B. Harvey (NM)
F: J. Akermanis (BL/WB), M. Lloyd (Ess), B. Johnson (WB)
Foll: D. Cox (WC), C. Judd (WC/Carl), G. Ablett jnr (Geel/GC)

Int: M. Pavlich (Fre), M. Ricciuto (Adel), S. Crawford (Haw), W. Tredrea (PA)

Coach: L. Matthews 

Captain: M. Voss

So which team do you like the best?

Who were the most controversial selections?

Which worthy players did he leave out ?

Last edited:

In before how can he pick player X from opposition team over player Y from my team?

Brereton (325 goals, 1982-89) over Kernahan (538 goals, 1981-89) is classic Sheahan.
Beasley 575 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird would probably be more deserving in the 2000s than the 90s given he missed three seasons with injury after winning the Brownlow. Either way he should have made that 2000s team ahead of a few players. Also surprised that Buddy wasn't selected most here would rate him ahead of Pavlich and many would rate him higher than a couple of the other KPFs selected.

Hird would probably be more deserving in the 2000s than the 90s given he missed three seasons with injury after winning the Brownlow. Either way he should have made that 2000s team ahead of a few players. Also surprised that Buddy wasn't selected most here would rate him ahead of Pavlich and many would rate him higher than a couple of the other KPFs selected.
Would you take 10 years of Pavlich in his prime or 5 years of Buddy not at his peak?

Who is Fev going to kick out? I'd argue Hall is more worthy for the 2000's team on top of the key forwards already in the team.
I'd kick Brad Johnson out. Fev kicked over 600 goals in a crap team. Pretty much the equivalent of Jeremy Cameron at GWS

There all great players. Brad Johnson champion player and most people might not agree. Coin flip as both great players for their clubs

Last edited:
dont forget Australian of the year

Don't mention the war!

BasilFawlty1.jpg

I'd kick Brad Johnson out. Fev kicked over 600 goals in a crap team. Pretty much the equivalent of Jeremy Cameron at GWS

There all great players. Brad Johnson champion player and most people might not agree. Coin flip as both great players for their clubs
Not surprised that you want Brad Johnson out.
Surprised you haven't asked why Liam Jones isn't in though. ;)

9DJCj+

I remember wasting my uni lectures coming up with team of the decades/years etc. I had such a great life I even made a table of stats for the better players during the decade.

Obviously players like Hird/Buckley deserve to be in teams like this but they are sort of half in the 90's and 00's so it's always hard to choose which decade they belong. Obviously I'll say Goodes is stiff considering he has played 100 more games than both during the decade.

Goodwin is an underrated player in these discussions.

Edit: Goals column is ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back