UFC 190 - Rousey V Correira

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Looking at bestfightodds.com, they've got odds for which minute of round 1 Rousey wins in. Don't know if they have that on Australian betting sites. Never seen that sort of betting before for MMA fights, but I'm not much of a bettor myself. They've probably had these lines for past Rousey fights.
TBH her past fights i have still had in my mind that she could be beaten but this one is pretty weak match up. I guess if your into betting this is the best way to do it to keep it interesting

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
TBH her past fights i have still had in my mind that she could be beaten but this one is pretty weak match up. I guess if your into betting this is the best way to do it to keep it interesting
Yeah definitely. Correira's getting this title fight off of 3 fights that don't say much good about her. Arguably lost to Kedzie, then had a relatively close fight with Duke, then beat a shot Baszler.

I'd be more interested in someone like Nunes getting a title shot. I think if Nunes had fought the same women in the UFC that Correira has she'd have won them all too. Nunes loss to D'Alelio and to fighters that Rousey has trounced means she has very little chance of winning either, but at least she hits hard and can finish a fight quickly. Correira doesn't hit hard and from all available evidence can't finish a fight quickly.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Yeah definitely. Correira's getting this title fight off of 3 fights that don't say much good about her. Arguably lost to Kedzie, then had a relatively close fight with Duke, then beat a shot Baszler.

I'd be more interested in someone like Nunes getting a title shot. I think if Nunes had fought the same women in the UFC that Correira has she'd have won them all too. Nunes loss to D'Alelio and to fighters that Rousey has trounced means she has very little chance of winning either, but at least she hits hard and can finish a fight quickly. Correira doesn't hit hard and from all available evidence can't finish a fight quickly.
I guess a problem with rousey fights its not even about beating her its about how long you can survive. there is only one fight i wanna see her in and thats cyborg at any weight titles dont matter any more.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yeah, Cyborg fights needs to happen. I don't care if it's at 145. Watching Tate try to beat her again does nothing for me.

At this stage it seems pretty clear that the only interest the UFC have in the 135 division is making money off of Rousey fights. There's been hardly any fights in the division. I'm sure a lot of the fighters aren't getting as many fights as they'd like to have. Make Rousey/Cyborg at whatever weight and then let the rest fight more often.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Yeah, Cyborg fights needs to happen. I don't care if it's at 145. Watching Tate try to beat her again does nothing for me.

At this stage it seems pretty clear that the only interest the UFC have in the 135 division is making money off of Rousey fights. There's been hardly any fights in the division. I'm sure a lot of the fighters aren't getting as many fights as they'd like to have. Make Rousey/Cyborg at whatever weight and then let the rest fight more often.
I think the division is competive but we dont see enough fights you cant creat contenders that way, some goes for HW, and the Fly

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think the division is competive but we dont see enough fights you cant creat contenders that way, some goes for HW, and the Fly
Yeah that's true. Those divisions are some of the smallest in terms of number of fighters on the roster as well. Lightweight is massive, so someone like Cerrone can fight 5+ times a year. He can have some losses, then win a bunch in a row and people forget about those losses, and he's a legitimate contender again quickly. None of that can happen at these weight classes you mentioned.

Fly and WBW are newer divisions too, which doesn't help in building stars and contenders. HW has been around forever, so it is what it is there. Not that many good fighters and probably never will be, that just makes sense given that athletic men that size can do other sports and make more doing it, and there's not that many men that size to begin with. HW has the advantage of everybody just loving them though. The casual fan's just like, HW = early KO = awesome. Fly and WBW don't have that, outside of Rousey running through everyone.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I thought I'd add some numbers to go with my previous post.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/29/3928296/ufc-roster-current-list-fighters

HW - 34
LHW - 35
MW - 59
WW - 101
LW - 101
FeW - 63
MBW - 62
WBW - 25
FlW - 34
SW - 31

That's how many fighters are in each division. Lines up pretty well with which divisions are the best and have the most depth. LW and WW are the best divisons and have been for a long time. FeW is really good now and will continue to get better. MW benefited greatly from the Strikeforce acquisition and is now one of the best divisions. Top divisions are clearly LW, WW, FeW and MW and I'd say in that order.

MBW isn't as good or as deep as the roster numbers indicate. The division suffered with the introduction of FlW as fighters dropped down, and there's a number of young fighters that haven't reached the top of the division yet. HW and LHW are what they are, and will probably be like that for a long time as there's no young talent climbing the ranks. However, these two divisions have fighters pop up out of nowhere from time to time.

WBW, FlW and SW are new and will get better over time. Of the three, SW should be the quickest riser as there will be a lot of women that size entering MMA. FlW to grow quickly would need MMA to become more popular in some Asian and South American countries, where there's a higher proportion of men this size. WBW is probably the toughest division to see rise quickly as it's going to need MMA to continue to grow in places that it's already pretty big and to also just have more women entering into combat sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought I'd add some numbers to go with my previous post.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/29/3928296/ufc-roster-current-list-fighters

HW - 34
LHW - 35
MW - 59
WW - 101
LW - 101
FeW - 63
MBW - 62
WBW - 25
FlW - 34
SW - 31

That's how many fighters are in each division. Lines up pretty well with which divisions are the best and have the most depth. LW and WW are the best divisons and have been for a long time. FeW is really good now and will continue to get better. MW benefited greatly from the Strikeforce acquisition and is now one of the best divisions. Top divisions are clearly LW, WW, FeW and MW and I'd say in that order.

MBW isn't as good or as deep as the roster numbers indicate. The division suffered with the introduction of FlW as fighters dropped down, and there's a number of young fighters that haven't reached the top of the division yet. HW and LHW are what they are, and will probably be like that for a long time as there's no young talent climbing the ranks. However, these two divisions have fighters pop up out of nowhere from time to time.

WBW, FlW and SW are new and will get better over time. Of the three, SW should be the quickest riser as there will be a lot of women that size entering MMA. FlW to grow quickly would need MMA to become more popular in some Asian and South American countries, where there's a higher proportion of men this size. WBW is probably the toughest division to see rise quickly as it's going to need MMA to continue to grow in places that it's already pretty big and to also just have more women entering into combat sports.

LHW looked like a murderers row until Bones cleared it out. Jackson, Evans, Machida, Belfort, Hendo, Glover and Cormier. I think alot of these guys reps suffered because of Jones greatness (much like MW was dismissed for a long long time because Silva was so good). A dominant champ makes a division look average. Also Jones caught the end of alot of those guys and some have changed division.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
LHW looked like a murderers row until Bones cleared it out. Jackson, Evans, Machida, Belfort, Hendo, Glover and Cormier. I think alot of these guys reps suffered because of Jones greatness (much like MW was dismissed for a long long time because Silva was so good). A dominant champ makes a division look average. Also Jones caught the end of alot of those guys and some have changed division.
I guess Jones being so dominant has made LHW look even worse than it actually is. Prior to Jones becoming the champion, the title being passed around made it look better than it actually was though. Forrest Griffin was a top 5 fighter and Ryan Bader was 6th in the rankings towards the end of 2010, just prior to Jones beating Bader and Shogun. Bader's now back to being top 5 or so in the division, which doesn't say great things about the division back then or now.

MW has become a lot better lately because of the Strikeforce guys coming in and also that fighters are now cutting more weight. There's plenty of guys who are now fighting at MW that would have been fighting at LHW years ago. Anderson Silva had a bunch of great challengers face him for the title, but he also had some not so great ones too.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Just figured out who "Betch" reminds me of:

The-Nose-Job-Seinfeld.jpg

Audrey, from 'Seinfeld' "The Nose Job" (Season 3, Episode 9)

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Looking at the tipping thread, I think everyone went Little Nog except me. I think Shogun hits harder and will finish Little Nog early. I'm not very confident, but I thought it was interesting that in what I think is a real 50/50 fight, everyone else picked Little Nog.

I have no idea about Struve/Big Nog either. Both have their problems with injuries/medical issues. I'm thinking that Struve finishes Big Nog early and I'll be sad.

I think it was about 50/50 on those picking Palelei and those picking Bigfoot in the tipping thread. I just can't pick Bigfoot to win anything after how he's looked recently. Palelei generally needs to take you down before he knocks you out, so I could see Bigfoot getting something done on the feet. I just can't pick him because he's looked really slow and his chin can't take a shot at all any more.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Looking at the tipping thread, I think everyone went Little Nog except me. I think Shogun hits harder and will finish Little Nog early. I'm not very confident, but I thought it was interesting that in what I think is a real 50/50 fight, everyone else picked Little Nog.

I have no idea about Struve/Big Nog either. Both have their problems with injuries/medical issues. I'm thinking that Struve finishes Big Nog early and I'll be sad.

I think it was about 50/50 on those picking Palelei and those picking Bigfoot in the tipping thread. I just can't pick Bigfoot to win anything after how he's looked recently. Palelei generally needs to take you down before he knocks you out, so I could see Bigfoot getting something done on the feet. I just can't pick him because he's looked really slow and his chin can't take a shot at all any more.
Id love Soa to win I really do but I just dont know if he is going the get that take down. Bigfoot has a little bit more time to work out comming of TRT. we have seen a few fighters starting to look a little bit better now there has been a bit of time I think Frank Mir is a prime example .

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

Both Nogs are so done it's not funny. Big Foot not far off that mark.

There's people on Sherdog genuinely wondering how they still manage to get licensed to fight at this point, and almost I'm inclined to agree.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Id love Soa to win I really do but I just dont know if he is going the get that take down. Bigfoot has a little bit more time to work out comming of TRT. we have seen a few fighters starting to look a little bit better now there has been a bit of time I think Frank Mir is a prime example .
Bigfoot's looked so slow recently. Palelei could even crack him on the feet before Bigfoot realised what happened. Heavyweight's so weird that Bigfoot might lose this and then in 5 years he could be the champion. :p

Both Nogs are so done it's not funny. Big Foot not far off that mark.

There's people on Sherdog genuinely wondering how they still manage to get licensed to fight at this point, and almost I'm inclined to agree.
I saw someone saying that there's 5 fighters on the card who shouldn't be fighting; Big Nog, Little Nog, Bigfoot, Shogun and Struve.

I think Bigfoot's looked the most in need of retiring. Big Nog, Little Nog and Shogun are pretty much done because of all the injuries adding up. Their bodies must be held together with sticky tape at this stage. Struve had some heart issue, but that must have been sorted out, and he's been knocked out a number of times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back