Mega Thread Adam Goodes starring in Lord of the Flies - The only place to post Goodes stuff - Read the OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't comprehend the constant booing.

Stripping away all labels, agendas and the like, it's just so freakin' nasty. And relentless.

I can't stand booing in general, but in his case I make a very strong exception, as he came on MY television, sullied MY loungeroom and told MY son to come to the SCG and Boo a Roo. He and Paul Kelly actively told CHILDREN specifically children "Come on Kids, get yourselves down the SCG this saturday and Boo a Roo."

The irony is just so gestalt.

I have a question that I am anxious to get answered.

Why has the A.F.L., and the media condemned the booing of Goodes, but, apparently, condoned that of Mitch?
Does it matter? Should we boo everyone until we break them? how are we as supporters any better than the media if we are willing to pursue some pretend grudge against a player for years on the basis that one of our players copped bad press for two weeks? Or are we in a race to the bottom?

I can't stand booing in general, but in his case I make a very strong exception, as he came on MY television, sullied MY loungeroom and told MY son to come to the SCG and Boo a Roo. He and Paul Kelly actively told CHILDREN specifically children "Come on Kids, get yourselves down the SCG this saturday and Boo a Roo."

The irony is just so gestalt.
i think we can agree this has moved beyond a bit of light hearted rivalry (poorly considered as that campaign was).

Brishawk....Never pegged you for someone to take a transparent & translucent bait....But you have swallowed this AFL media fuelled BS campaign hook, line & sinker.

Absolutely spot on. It's absolute bullshit. Poor f..ken Goodes campaign, get stuffed!

Here's a thought, if the AFL want booing to stop, only at Goodes, every other player is open slather, then boycott the $hitney games. See how the uneducated morons at the AFL go with that....
This is the biggest load of s**t I have ever seen or heard.

He is not booed because of his race, he is booed because of his actions. Sam Mitchell, for example, is booed most weeks. Yet you do not see him crying out to the media asking for ******* hugs. The media will write s**t about him but he takes it in his stride. Maybe Adam Goodes should look at the other players that get booed and take this on board. There will always be some idiots out there who will boo for racial reasons, but majority of people remember his terrible acting from a few years back. He needs to stop presuming that every piece of criticism he cops is racially motivated. Why can't fans boo him but still boo every other player but not him. Is he the protected species Adam Goodes? Grow up and stop acting like a two year old Adam.

I don't care either way about all the Goodes BS.

That being said, the one thing that has me stumped is that all those who are claiming it's racist, none of them have actually given a detailed, good answer to the question, "Why is it racist?".

Without having paid much attention to it, it seems as if one media flog has claimed it was racist and everyone has jumped on it (moral high ground and all that) yet no one has been able to accurately explain why without rambling and using vague reasoning.

He is not booed because of his race, he is booed because of his actions. Sam Mitchell, for example, is booed most weeks. Yet you do not see him crying out to the media asking for ******* hugs. The media will write s**t about him but he takes it in his stride. Maybe Adam Goodes should look at the other players that get booed and take this on board. There will always be some idiots out there who will boo for racial reasons, but majority of people remember his terrible acting from a few years back. He needs to stop presuming that every piece of criticism he cops is racially motivated. Why can't fans boo him but still boo every other player but not him. Is he the protected species Adam Goodes? Grow up and stop acting like a two year old Adam.

God help us if the media was to bag the s**t out of Goodes like they did to Mitch a couple of weeks ago. So the media can have pot shots at Mitch, but someone boos Goodes and we are all racists....? F..k off Adam! Do everyone a favour and don't come back!!

I am so torn on this whole issue. First I don't boo. I didn't boo Lloyd when he hit Sewell. I knew the game was over at that moment. And I cursed, and I sulked but I didn't boo.

But there is something about Goodes that shits me. I have no idea what it is. It is intangible. Selwood shits me to tears as well. There is something entitled about the way they play and conduct themselves.

I just cannot cop this whole thing being reduced to racism. I am basically being labelled a racist because I refuse to like Adam Goodes. It is insane.

But then I agree that the booing is juvenile and petty and completely futile.

And I also agree that Goodes has contributed to this.

I can't help but think this whole thing will end up doing more damage than good no matter where it goes from here.

I was torn for exactly the same reason as yourself but I firmly believe that this is no longer just about Goodes - it's now more about being told you can't boo and supporters are just mindlessly doing it for no other reason than they can. Unfortunately that's no consolation for Goodes and to that end its the media that needs to take a long hard look at itself and the role they have played in this saga.

I don't believe it started off being racially motivated but along the way it has evolved in to some sections of the crowd using that initial booing to also express their condemnation of him outing the 13 year old and then being awarded AOTY (although I don't understand why that's happening). I don't recall why the Hawks fans were booing him so loudly back in round 8 but as a result of that the media labelled all hawk supporters racist but I think it was the catalyst For other supporter bases to go whoa, we aren't wearing that and have reacted accordingly.

The afl now finds itself in a precarious situation and I won't be surprised if we all find that booing gets banned altogether as ludicrous as that sounds.

I don't care either way about all the Goodes BS.

That being said, the one thing that has me stumped is that all those who are claiming it's racist, none of them have actually given a detailed, good answer to the question, "Why is it racist?".

Without having paid much attention to it, it seems as if one media flog has claimed it was racist and everyone has jumped on it (moral high ground and all that) yet no one has been able to accurately explain why without rambling and using vague reasoning.

Well aware of that....You seem to miss the point entirely....He is a full-time footballer, first & fore-most.

There are many other aboriginal elders who have devoted their lifetime to community service & in saving their cultures....Surely the AOTY ought to be about recognizing such anonymous individuals & honoring their achievements, by raising the country's awareness about such heroic individuals & their deeds?

If you want to honor indigenous society, then why politicize the award in giving it to a young footballer, who already has a high-level media-profile & public recognition?

Again, as before...Not entirely his fault....But I dare say he is feeling the full-brunt of such politicization right now.

I would hazard a guess this was precisely why he was chosen, he has a profile to add creds

I did hear a bit of the radio call last Sunday, not much, but I was surprised the booing was back (after it had been gone for a while) and was as taken aback as to how aggressive it sounded (and thats just on the radio).
Then I saw a bit of vision of all those faces a bit later on the TV, and it was pretty confronting stuff.

My own view is, if we play Swans in a final and Goodes is involved in general play I won't boo him - whats the point?
If however he's having a shot on goal , then no problem , am booing him in that situation - just like anyone else.

I'm also thinking this stuff must be affecting our own indiginous players.
Finally, I admire Brishawk for the points he's made.

I would hazard a guess this was precisely why he was chosen, he has a profile to add creds

The sad thing is, he has become the political pawn stuck between what the AFL/media would like us to think, & those of us who see right through their BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...s-legend-jason-akermanis-20150728-gime0z.html

Aker thinks we are beatable, which is fair enough - entitled to opinions and all that. I do find it amusing though that he thinks a potential Hawks threepeat wouldn't be a fair comparison based on free agency. We've signed one player via free agency (he also mentions McEvoy which he must have forgot was a trade) - against how many players they could retain due to salary cap concessions? Come on Aker, be fair now!

"What a redneck wonderland footy has become.
Your worries and concerns must weigh heavily on your poor benighted souls. So knock yourselves out. Boo away. At least have the courage though to admit what it is.

Racism.

Naked, loud, contemptible, pathetic and unashamed.

None of this crap about Goodes staging for free kicks, being a "sniper" or sweet talking the umpires is the reason for the booing.

Don't use football as shield for your prejudice..."

Have a read - sound like you?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/ad...wonderland-20150727-gil6e2.html#ixzz3hBCPCRI8

Take this as solid gold: I'm half asian. I grew up between here and Asia when my parents divorced. Growing up I've experienced racism from Anglo Saxons and yes, I've experienced racism from Asians over there (for being half Anglo).

I KNOW what racism is. Unlike you, I haven't just read about it in The Age while sipping on a chai latte, after riding there on my fixed gear bike (yes, the stereotyping is meant to be ironic).

So when I say why I boo Adam Goodes, and it's not because it's racially driven, I stand by it.

You don't know me.

You NEVER will.

So don't you ever F***ING presume to put your F***ING bull**** leftie crap thoughts, in my mouth.

Do we understand each other now?

If you were referring to others, that's between you and them.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...s-legend-jason-akermanis-20150728-gime0z.html

Aker thinks we are beatable, which is fair enough - entitled to opinions and all that. I do find it amusing though that he thinks a potential Hawks threepeat wouldn't be a fair comparison based on free agency. We've signed one player via free agency (he also mentions McEvoy which he must have forgot was a trade) - against how many players they could retain due to salary cap concessions? Come on Aker, be fair now!

What sort of a fluff article is that?

The old "their defence is their weakness" chestnut?

He does realise it's not 2009/10 anymore doesn't he?

This peaking too early is clutching at straws for mine also.

I personally don't think we are playing all that much better in the last 3 weeks we have just started converting our opportunities and have been more efficient with our forward entries.

We lost games early by having bad quarters within in games and failing to take opportunities but really we have been fairly dominant all year, after the Collinwood game we had lost 4 games by a total of 24 points and had an average winning margin of 54 points, we currently have a % of 170.

Yes we are playing good football right at this point in time but in reality we have played well all season and to be honest I think there is even more to come.

[
The sad thing is, he has become the political pawn stuck between what the AFL/media would like us to think, & those of us who see right through their BS.

Speaking as someone who is generally media savvy, I'd have to disagree with what you're saying in my case.

I stated my disgust for the constant booing months ago.

Sure, we all boo people from time to time. But this has gone way beyond that.

It comes down to, for me, we have a systematic and constant expression of mob disgust expressed towards Goodes. That's what's sad for me.

I related this anecdote in another thread months ago, and I'll do it again now.

I stopped my 11 year old from booing Goodes at a game. I asked him why, and he said he didn't know why but everyone else was doing it.

That's just s**t.

Layer on whatever reverse racism bs, or media-driven hype, or that he's a s**t bloke narratives you want. Whatever. But it doesn't come close to explaining, for me, rationalising all of this.

Goodes has my respect as a champion player. He has my respect for what he's done and continues to do outside of the game. And sure, I find reasons to dislike him on the field. His knees first stuff, his prancing around. His sense of entitlement. Al that stuff. But plenty of players had/have those qualities. Like one of my favourites in Dermie, for example. And plenty were utterly s**t blokes to boot. But I can't remember a player copping this treatment. For so long, with such anger, behind it. It's now got a life of its own. And I hate it.

That's me out on the subject.

Take this as solid gold: I'm half asian. I grew up between here and Asia when my parents divorced. Growing up I've experienced racism from Anglo Saxons and yes, I've experienced racism from Asians over there (for being half Anglo).

I KNOW what racism is. Unlike you, I haven't just read about it in The Age while sipping on a chai latte, after riding there on my fixed gear bike (yes, the stereotyping is meant to be ironic).

So when I say why I boo Adam Goodes, and it's not because it's racially driven, I stand by it.

You don't know me.

You NEVER will.

So don't you ever F***ING presume to put your F***ING bull**** leftie crap thoughts, in my mouth.

Do we understand each other now?

If you were referring to others, that's between you and them.

Calm Down.....IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!:)

What sort of a fluff article is that?

The old "their defence is their weakness" chestnut?

He does realise it's not 2009/10 anymore doesn't he?

This peaking too early is clutching at straws for mine also.

I personally don't think we are playing all that much better in the last 3 weeks we have just started converting our opportunities and have been more efficient with our forward entries.

We lost games early by having bad quarters within in games and failing to take opportunities but really we have been fairly dominant all year, after the Collinwood game we had lost 4 games by a total of 24 points and had an average winning margin of 54 points, we currently have a % of 170.

Yes we are playing good football right at this point in time but in reality we have played well all season and to be honest I think their is even more to come.

There's been signs of our scrappiness in all 3 of our most recent games - but we'd be foolish not to be somewhat concerned about peeking too early. I'm a very panicky person though - hell I was stil nervous halfway through the last quarter of last year's Grand Final.

Our defence isn't our weakness - and particularly if Chips is back I think it's even stronger. Our biggest problem is slow starts. If we have one of those in the finals then anything could happen.

[

Speaking as someone who is generally media savvy, I'd have to disagree with what you're saying in my case.

I stated my disgust for the constant booing months ago.

Sure, we all boo people from time to time. But this has gone way beyond that.

It comes down to, for me, we have a systematic and constant expression of mob disgust expressed towards Goodes. That's what's sad for me.

I related this anecdote in another thread months ago, and I'll do it again now.

I stopped my 11 year old from booing Goodes at a game. I asked him why, and he said he didn't know why but everyone else was doing it.

That's just s**t.

Layer on whatever reverse racism bs, or media-driven hype, or that he's a s**t bloke narratives you want. Whatever. But it doesn't come close to explaining, for me, rationalising all of this.

Goodes has my respect as a champion player. He has my respect for what he's done and continues to do outside of the game. And sure, I find reasons to dislike him on the field. His knees first stuff, his prancing around. His sense of entitlement. Al that stuff. But plenty of players had/have those qualities. Like one of my favourites in Dermie, for example. And plenty were utterly s**t blokes to boot. But I can't remember a player copping this treatment. For so long, with such anger, behind it. It's now got a life of its own. And I hate it.

That's me out on the subject.

Respect your opinion on it m8....We'll agree to disagree....YEP, definitely a mob element to it, but that's just the ugly side we must pay for freedom of speech & democracy.

Footy is an emotional game & has many irrational elements to it, including booing....But that's always been the case.

I honestly believe that if what happened on the w/end was ignored 'WHICH is the right way to treat it', then this would have dissipated of it's own accord....Subiaco has always been like that.

Last edited:
The whole dozen or more pages of the great Goodes debate has me feeling like this:

I wouldn't mind if we all just concentrated on how amazing our club is, how every other club and their fans are flogs and concentrate on all the other footy issues from here on out.

Booing of Goodes has clearly gone too far. Anyone who claims "it's because he's a sniper/diver" etc has the head in the sand. There are players who have done 5x worse and don't cop what Goodes gets when he moves within 5 metres of the ball. It's personal, it's aggressive, it's tens of thousands of people trying to intimate one person.

And for what? Because he was racially abused at a game and called it out on the spot? Because he was awarded Australian of the Year (he didn't ask for it by the way)? Because when awarded AOTY he used is position to speak about his experience of being an indigenous man in Australia? Because he's perceived as arrogant? News flash, 99.9% of AFL footballers are arrogant, it's what gets them to the top of their field.

Goodes is a champion footballer and I wish he had been a Hawk. We should be cheering the man, not booing him. We're now at the sad stage when a dual Brownlow medallist may retire rather than face another onslaught of abuse, and frankly I can understand him.

To those who aren't convinced, I ask- what if it were Burgoyne in Goodes' place? Would your opinion change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back