Journalists you rate and hate

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
Robbo's credibility may've taken a hit elsewhere, but when it comes to his journalism he admits his mistakes. He will put out an opinion, take credit where it's right and take responsibility where it's wrong. His embarrassing antics may very well reflect negatively, but as a journalist he fulfils his responsibility in a way that many others don't.

Thanks for the correction, I'll take it on board!
The trouble with Slobbo though- he is an absolute weapon head of the highest order. I do not think there is a dumber campaigner in the media tbqh.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just thought I'd leave this opinion piece here, feedback encouraged! Hope you enjoy it.

A Boo for Barrett

Nighthawk out.

Lica23 as a hawk supporter , you have the right to be upset. The way I interpreted that article from Barrett was a bit of byplay on his behalf to create uncertainty in Brad Scott mind when it comes to addressing Harvey's contract extension next year. Scott was playing poker through the media (much to many a supporter here on BF demise) regarding Boomer and keeping the troops on edge for our run home into September and Barrett (who is a Nth Melb supporter) felt strongly as do many media people about the handling of Harvey in lead up to game 400.

Again its byplay, your club has history chasing boomer . Dont take it personally but you're correct about those 4 players on the cusp of best 22.

Robbo's credibility may've taken a hit elsewhere, but when it comes to his journalism he admits his mistakes. He will put out an opinion, take credit where it's right and take responsibility where it's wrong. His embarrassing antics may very well reflect negatively, but as a journalist he fulfils his responsibility in a way that many others don't.

Yeah, I don't mean to come on all 'stacks-on-the-mill' on you, lica, particularly after penning an otherwise worthy piece (yes, Barrett is indeed a shitheel), but I'm absolutely with blackshads on this one. Momentarily leaving aside Robbo's epic running battle with articulation (I mean, hey, he's only employed as a writer after all) and his excruciating on-screen shtick (or inebriation...whatever it is), the bloke's wildly biased commentary on the *essendon saga, and frequent prostration at the altar of *sir james throughout, hasn't exactly screamed "journalist fulfilling his responsibilities" to me.

Today's Hun P21, Rita Panahi writes opinion piece completely against the current booing Goodes = racist propaganda, :eek: I was shocked to read that as my opinion of her to date has been extremely minimal
It's very hard to disagree with anything she's written in that piece.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have little doubt that there are a few people that boo goodes for purely racial reasons (possibly10-20%) then there are the sheep that are just following the crowd (maybe 40%) and then there are those frustrated with the free ride he gets from the Umps ( likely to be more than 50%) and the rest that just think he is a flog,

The more AFL becomes an Entertainment medium rather than a competitive sport more of this crowd engagement will creep in, just like with the WWE.

Kane, the Iron Sheik, BamBam Bigalo, Big John Stud or Jimmy Hart getting Booed never got anywhere near the discussion that Goodes or Jobe Watsons booings got?

Last edited:
Yes really.

I firmly believe the Goodes booing has been blown out of all proportion, mainly by a few media blow hards. Most football fans aren't racist and the reasons for booing Goodes are generally not to do with his race but to do with him being a sniping, diving, sooking player who gets away with things other players never get away with - footy fans don't like that and when you add in a touch of arrogance they rightly boo.

I boo Floggard too - because of the way he behaves on field and in the media - it's got zero to do with racism.

Sorry mate you lost me at this sentence.

Mark Robinson has zero credibility, he's proven to be a drunken buffoon which would rather lead the James Hird cheer squad than report with any semblance of balance, he's like a whining kid most of the time - he doesn't deserve to wipe are journalists arse. And the word is intact.

I came here to post pretty much the same thing - a reasonable (albeit somewhat tl;dr) post except for the abject misinterpretation of what Mark Robinson does.

With the news that Goodes will be 'forced into retirement'…. spare me the crocodile tears.

I'm all for understanding esteemed media guys like Ross Greenwood freely admit / explain WHY he boo's Goodes and SHOCK- HORROR… it's not racial!!

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...tor-ross-greenwood-weighs-in-on-debate-goodes

As for journos/ media guys I like to listen to… some have great points and others don't.. on any given day. Mostly it's yada yada yada.. not convicting enough to smash the story wide open.

The Blowtorch on Talking Footy is worth looking fwd to.

With the news that Goodes will be 'forced into retirement'…. spare me the crocodile tears.

I'm all for understanding esteemed media guys like Ross Greenwood freely admit / explain WHY he boo's Goodes and SHOCK- HORROR… it's not racial!!

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...tor-ross-greenwood-weighs-in-on-debate-goodes

As for journos/ media guys I like to listen to… some have great points and others don't.. on any given day. Mostly it's yada yada yada.. not convicting enough to smash the story wide open.

The Blowtorch on Talking Footy is worth looking fwd to.

"Goodes is currently having time off from the AFL as he struggles to cope with the racial vilification drama that has reignited around him."

F*** me. It's "re-ignited" directly as a result of this type of inaccurate emotive bullshit that these journo's say and write. They are petrol bombs lobbed on a spot fire.

Racial vilification drama? F*** me.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes really.

I firmly believe the Goodes booing has been blown out of all proportion, mainly by a few media blow hards. Most football fans aren't racist and the reasons for booing Goodes are generally not to do with his race but to do with him being a sniping, diving, sooking player who gets away with things other players never get away with - footy fans don't like that and when you add in a touch of arrogance they rightly boo.

I boo Floggard too - because of the way he behaves on field and in the media - it's got zero to do with racism.
Hmmm, a couple of things here.

1) Panahi is a witless, arrogant nobody, who gets a gig at the Hun because (whether by instruction, or she naturally thinks that way), she panders to the ignorant, conservative attitudes of the majority of uninformed, uncritical readers. She and Bolt typify their approach : columns full of unreserved praise for the Libs and unfailing criticism for Labor and (worse still), tjhe Greens, unions or any 'loony lefties' who don't share Rupert's agenda. And when it comes to racism, they invariably write columns pretending to condemn racism, but full of dog-whistling hints to reassure their readers that Australian isn't (and never has been) a raciust country, and just because they're suspicious of Muslims, boat people, Aborigines (etc), they can't be called racist, because [insert dog-whistling rationale here].

2) I reckon the Goodes boo-ers are made up of
- racists, pure and simple
- footy fans who have a specific reason for disliking him
- fans who are booing because everyone else is, or because the AFL can't tell them what to do
- fans who don't believe they are racist, but actually are

The last group are the ones who maintain they're not racist, but Goodes is a bully, who shouldn't have picked on the Pies fan who called him an ape (of course 'he should have laughed it off'.......really???) ; or 'he started it all with the war dance' (no, that was a reaction, not the start of it all) ; he's too divisive (because blackfellas shouldn't mention at any stage that they ever have suffered discrimination, and still do) ; he just gets by by playing for frees (he's had 11 for the season). *

FWIW, I reckon Goodes has been given a good run in the past (getting off at the Tribunal where others wouldn't). But that's pretty old history by now, and I think that was moe to do with his jumper than his colour.

I have no doubt there is an element of racism in the Goodes-booing. Same as there is in the mass vilification of Lindsay Thomas.

* I did boo when he got away with a blatant infringement, leading to a Swans goal, late in the Nth-Sydney game this year........RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!

Last edited:
The crowds are down and the umpiring isn't improving.. so when you get that awful mixture you get THIS:

Sending all the mixed messages.. btw.. Goodes has long been Boo'd (two years!!) and suddenly somebody is noticing.. *facepalm*

Goodes has himself to blame. Simple as that. If it was racial.. why are not the rest of the indigenous stars of the game copping the same treatment??? Huh?? huh?? exactly.. it's all silent.

Last edited:

1) Panahi is a witless, arrogant nobody, who gets a gig at the Hun because (whether by instruction, or she naturally thinks that way), she panders to the ignorant, conservative attitudes of the majority of uninformed, uncritical readers. She and Bolt typify their approach : columns full of unreserved praise for the Libs and unfailing criticism for Labor and (worse still), tjhe Greens, unions or any 'loony lefties' who don't share Rupert's agenda. And when it comes to racism, they invariably write columns pretending to condemn racism, but full of dog-whistling hints to reassure their readers that Australian isn't (and never has been) a raciust country, and just because they're suspicious of Muslims, boat people, Aborigines (etc), they can't be called racist, because [insert dog-whistling rationale here].

- fans who are booing because everyone else is, or because the AFL can't tell them what to do

The last group are the ones who maintain they're not racist, but Goodes is a bully, who shouldn't have picked on the Pies fan who called him an ape (of course 'he should have laughed it off'.......really???) ; or 'he started it all with the war dance' (no, that was a reaction, not the start of it all) ; he's too divisive (because blackfellas shouldn't mention at any stage that they ever have suffered discrimination, and still do) ; he just gets by by playing for frees (he's had 11 for the season). *

FWIW, I reckon Goodes has been given a good run in the past (getting off at the Tribunal where others wouldn't). But that's pretty old history by now, and I think that was moe to do with his jumper than his colour.

I have no doubt there is an element of racism in the Goodes-booing. Same as there is in the mass vilification of Lindsay Thomas.

* I did boo when he got away with a blatant infringement, leading to a Swans goal, late in the Nth-Sydney game this year!!

Some cans of worms ready to be opened right here.

I'm not going there, but perhaps your pro-Labour opinions are offensive to non-Labour voters.

In b4 "I'm not pro-Labour, I just hate the Murdoch view" - there are people who don't read The Age for the same but opposite reason.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some cans of worms ready to be opened right here.

I'm not going there, but perhaps your pro-Labour opinions are offensive to non-Labour voters.

In b4 "I'm not pro-Labour, I just hate the Murdoch view" - there are people who don't read The Age for the same but opposite reason.
Without going too far down that road : I'm certainly not uncritical of Labor, just sceptical of the News Corp worldview that Labor has never had a good policy, and the Libs can do no wrong.

I'm equally sceptical of the view that The Age is pro-Labor (have you read the regular columns by Vanstone, Costello Reith & various IPA propagandists in there over recent years?) ; or that the ABC's attempts to maintain a balanced coverage is somehow evidence of pro-Labor bias.

ApplecrossWC

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really like Mark Robinson and is everyday bloke approach. He's not afraid to give his opinion or admit he likes a bevvy and a dart.

Dwayne Russell is one of the best in the business and I can tell the other commentators respect him because his catch phrases are catching on like "chaos ball". Bit of a pioneer really.

Also enjoy BT, he gives me a laugh with his nicknames like Jack "The package" Stringer and "Big Boner" Brown (Ben). Been using big boner brown around the office at every opportunity and have got an extremely positive reception (lots of laughs)

* I did boo when he got away with a blatant infringement, leading to a Swans goal, late in the Nth-Sydney game this year!!
I'm no real Panahi fan - can be rather boorish at times, occasionally amusing but she's hardly in the Andrew Bolt league but I can't find much wrong with the particular argument on the booing of Goodes.

Regarding Goodes getting a good run in the past - while he continues to play and continues to get away with blatant infringements (see the goal on the weekend where he gives away a blatant free but the umpire lets it go) he's going to be booed. Some of that is fault of brain dead umpires but Adam has to take some responsibility for it too. You can bet your bottom dollar he would have carried on like a stuck pig if a free had been paid against him. Highlight is approx 2.28 into the video below.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/featured-programs/match-highlights

While Adam gets away with that s**t he's going to continue to be booed.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm no real Panahi fan - can be rather boorish at times, occasionally amusing but she's hardly in the Andrew Bolt league but I can't find much wrong with the particular argument on the booing of Goodes.

Regarding Goodes getting a good run in the past - while he continues to play and continues to get away with blatant infringements (see the goal on the weekend where he gives away a blatant free but the umpire lets it go) he's going to be booed. Some of that is fault of brain dead umpires but Adam has to take some responsibility for it too. You can bet your bottom dollar he would have carried on like a stuck pig if a free had been paid against him. Highlight is approx 2.28 into the video below.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/featured-programs/match-highlights

While Adam gets away with that s**t he's going to continue to be booed.
Fair call.

BUT we're kidding ourselves if we don't think that racism is part of the Goodes-booing, that racists haven't latched onto it.

Gazza jr plays for frees more than anyone in the comp...of course, he does much much more than that too....don't think he gets booed every week.

Really like Mark Robinson and is everyday bloke approach. He's not afraid to give his opinion or admit he likes a bevvy and a dart.

Dwayne Russell is one of the best in the business and I can tell the other commentators respect him because his catch phrases are catching on like "chaos ball". Bit of a pioneer really.

Also enjoy BT, he gives me a laugh with his nicknames like Jack "The package" Stringer and "Big Boner" Brown (Ben). Been using big boner brown around the office at every opportunity and have got an extremely positive reception (lots of laughs)
oh dear

Without going too far down that road : I'm certainly not uncritical of Labor, just sceptical of the News Corp worldview that Labor has never had a good policy, and the Libs can do no wrong.

I'm equally sceptical of the view that The Age is pro-Labor (have you read the regular columns by Vanstone, Costello Reith & various IPA propagandists in there over recent years?) ; or that the ABC's attempts to maintain a balanced coverage is somehow evidence of pro-Labor bias.

Yeah, I'm the same. Whilst I am generally aware of the likes of Panahi, Bolt and co, I don't waste my time reading their stuff (indeed, one of the few Bolt articles I ever read was his take on Peter Roebuck soon after his death - it was the most bullying, mean-spirited, vitriolic take-down of a recently deceased person that I had ever read, so I fully understand why Bolt is so reviled).

I did see some of Panahi's puerile twitter bitch fight with the super * clown Martin Hardie last year and it was a sad and damning reflection on two adults who need credibility to be effective in their respective fields, but were too stupid to realise they were destroying what little they had left.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes really.

Spot on.

To think it is only racist driven says far more about those claiming it than the high majority who boo Goodes for what he is - a self-righteous, hypocritical, selfish, patronizing, sniping, staging, whinging goose.

If he is going to continue making AFL about himself, the quicker he leaves the game the better. (I don't buy the "affecting my teammates" line)

The rest of us can then get on with playing, watching and talking footy, without the sport being hijacked any longer as a vehicle to promote his private racial issues and agendas.

Last edited:

Wild Kangaroo

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy, AS Roma, Italy, Melb Storm
I like RoCo,Robbo is ok, Tells it like it is.
JB, Spud, the Lone wolf ( Garry Lyon) Triple M Rub are pissers.
Damien Barrett ( Purple ) is fast becoming a flog- as much as I hate to say it.

Not a fan of Dermie, ( but glad he gave it to Bec wilson on SEN!)
McAvaney No
Cowro No way
Cant stand Rita Panahi ( called into SEN once, told she was almost being a racist in regards to that 2006 world cup game), Jon Ralph <---- serial North Hater
Cant stand Dwayne Russell
The Ox is good
KB 50/50

Eddie McGuire- Great caller
Leigh Matthews- Good

David King/Cam Mooney- Still trying to warm to.

BT is ok ( and a nice bloke from my experience)

Andy Maher- Rate highly

Cant hack that Jason Richardson on SEN <---- Sticks the boots into North every chance he gets.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
there isn't one good footy journalist. Ex-players writing crappy speculative pieces and being referred to as journalists is also horrific.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Spot on.

To think it is only racist driven says far more about those claiming it than the high majority who boo Goodes for what he is - a self-righteous, hypocritical, selfish, patronizing, sniping, staging, whinging goose.

If he is going to continue making AFL about himself, the quicker he leaves the game the better. (I don't buy the "affecting my teammates" line)

The rest of us can then get on with playing, watching and talking footy, without the sport being hijacked any longer as a vehicle to promote his private racial issues and agendas.
Has anyone said that "it's only racist"??

Back