Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sure its a lovely video. Never seen it, don't watch the Indigenous All Star games, or the Australia Ireland games, or any AFL other than the league games. So, that makes me a racist?

That actually makes no sense but if it makes you feel better then I'm happy for you bud. All the best.
It makes no sense that your opinion shouldn't be influenced by the team you barrack for?

Do you understand this issue at all?

He could've handled it differently. There were more than two options on the table to either point the finger at a girl and have her evicted from the ground or sit there and cop it. If he'd identified her after the game and done just about anything that didn't involve publicly humiliating a 13 year old girl, it would sit better with a lot of people.
To be fair, NO ONE thought she was 13 at the time. She definitely didn't look it. We applaud spectators for pointing out racist behaviour in the crowd, I think what he did in the circumstances was fair.

I'm sure its a lovely video. Never seen it, don't watch the Indigenous All Star games, or the Australia Ireland games, or any AFL other than the league games. So, that makes me a racist?
No I said it makes you ignorant.

"Hmm how wuld Goordes like it if we drest in red coats and fired pretend muskets at him lol or said boo-urns instead??? #nailedit #originalthought #clearlynotasheep"

Adam Goodes retiring over this would be a sad way to go out of the game. #boogate
If he retires because of this, he will have been hounded out of the game by hate filled bogans.

There's been other players who have been exceptionally lucky at the MRP- the whole Swans are believed to be- why did it take so long for him to get booed every touch most of his lucky MRP incidents were from years ago!

Probably the same reason that Lance Franklin was on 3 strikes and the AFL were covering up.....apparently!
He was booed, slandered, mocked and these boards were full of drug use allegations. Then suddenly, that all magically stopped when he went to Sydney.
Franklin was a villain and vocal against his detractors, which grew more detractors. Now they don't see him as often and he's not dominating, its a non issue.

There has always been fans that have booed Goodes, but it grew with Hawks fans because of the 2012 GF loss, they needed a poster boy to hate from Sydney. Goodes nearly breaking Gibbo's leg and kneeing Birchall gave them that outlet. Then of course, the media told them not to, so, like naughty little children it's now the new smoking behind the school sheds. They do it because they know it gets a reaction, exactly like Goodes' behavior. The booing fans and Goodes are as bad as each other.

MWNN just gave you a video of the Indigenous All Stars performing a war dance. After you said there was no evidence of it.

Great, point disproven. No-one's accusing you of being racist in that video.

Why are you so defensive?

Aren't selective quotes wonderful. Let's pick a few more from that speech.

"She's 13, she's still so innocent, I don't put any blame on her."

"I can guarantee you right now she would have no idea, you know, how it makes anyone feel by calling them an ape."

"But I think the person that needs the most support is the little girl, you know. People need to get around her, she's 13, she's uneducated. You know if she wants to pick up the phone and call me and apologise, I'll take that phone call and I'll have a conversation with that girl about 'You know what, you called me a name, this is how it made me feel', and it's school stuff, it is school stuff."

"And that's what it took me back to last night, I felt I was in high school again, being bullied, being called all these names because of my appearance. I didn't stand up for myself in high school, I'm a lot more confident, I'm a lot more proud about who I am and my culture, and I decided to stand up last night and I'll continue to stand up because racism has no place in our industry, it has no place in our society. Hopefully any person out there that has been name called, that has been verbally abused, can stand up for themselves after what happened last night."

"But whether they have the people to support them like I've had, I've had fantastic support in the last 24 hours. And like I've said, I just hope they give the 13-year-old the same sort of support because she needs it, her family need it, the people around them need it. It's not a witch hunt. I don't want people to go after this young girl."

But no you're right that one off quote which was an intro to a more meaningful point suits your argument better run with that...

Oh ... I see
So the "Face if racism" comment wasn't meant to hurt the girl, embarrass her or her family .... It was " nice words nice words nice words but she's the face of racism "
And how hypocritical is the " I don't want people to go after this girl"
WTF did he do ? In front of the whole country ?

The rest of his palaver was trying to justify that comment

I said previously - he could have given her a hug and said he forgave her - but Face of Racism is a but more " ah, gotcha" isn't it ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if it is happening to one isolated player, what makes so many claim that it is racist? it is more likely to be because of other factor than racism given it didn't happen to other players, even other players in the same team, so saying it is for Goodes strikes me as a lame excuse.

Goodes and his mouth pieces have made this all about him, it is like he is being a martyr. But is he really or is his ego struggling to deal with the fact that he is past it as a player and should of walked away at the end of last season.
It's beyond the point of mattering how the booing started. It'd be fair to say some people hate his antics, some people hate him being outspoken, some people boo for the novelty, etc. The fact is that it is now perceived as being racially motivated in response to Goodes' stance on indigenous issues.

Whether we like it or not, the perception is that it's racist. Read any paper, listen to SEN, turn on the TV - they're all running the same story.

Those who continue to boo are doing so with the knowledge that it is perceived as being racist.

No I said it makes you ignorant.

I applaud your perceived superiority. You realize this insufferable attitude is why most people can't stand the people batting Goodes' corner? You're not helping, you're out to make yourself feel better.

So now no one is gonna say anything at the footy we just gonna go there and look and not say a word according to channel 9
They're lucky it will be a Crows crowd

The click click click if knitting needles is all you'll hear over there

Dee Madigan - who I imagine even Chief would agree with said What Swans fans should do drown out any boos with cheers - time for all you " bloods" fans to actually get off your collective stress and fill a stadium

And just on our crowd, what has happened at my club the last 3 weeks makes Adam Goodes sooking up about booing even more childish

gee , i dunno but maybe the fact that hes being accused of being a racist for booing at the footy has him on the defensive?

MWNN didn't make the accusation. Stated he was ignorant of the Indigenous All Stars, provided video to dispel ignorance. Done. How is that accusing him of being racist?

Honestly ...
Adam is trying to help his community find Respect after 200 years of disrespect.

If another race invaded us, WE would also stand up and demand Respect and WE would use any forum available - political, social or sporting.

Try and see the context for his actions. They are incredibly noble and worthy of the admiration of every Australian.

Or are they just prolonging an issue that is never going to go away in the first place?

What is the required outcome? EVERY single non aboriginal in the country saying sorry? Increased handouts? What is it?

Raise awareness? That has been achieved, how can we not be aware of what happened 200 years ago. But when does it end? I don't have a time machine handy to go and fix things up, nor does anyone else.

So instead we are stuck in and endless circular argument where every generation has another "icon" who wants to stand up and remind everyone of something that happened to his/her distant relatives hundreds of years ago.

Through all of the years and stars - Freeman,Goodes etc etc etc, i have never once been clear on exactly what they are after precisely.

Probably the same reason that Lance Franklin was on 3 strikes and the AFL were covering up.....apparently!
He was booed, slandered, mocked and these boards were full of drug use allegations. Then suddenly, that all magically stopped when he went to Sydney.
Franklin was a villain and vocal against his detractors, which grew more detractors. Now they don't see him as often and he's not dominating, its a non issue.

There has always been fans that have booed Goodes, but it grew with Hawks fans because of the 2012 GF loss, they needed a poster boy to hate from Sydney. Goodes nearly breaking Gibbo's leg and kneeing Birchall gave them that outlet. Then of course, the media told them not to, so, like naughty little children it's now the new smoking behind the school sheds. They do it because they know it gets a reaction, exactly like Goodes' behavior. The booing fans and Goodes are as bad as each other.

These boards were full of allegations yes, and the bay and all over the place it's still hinted at regularly. But what else is there to say about it?

Franklin wasn't getting booed the same amount Goodes is now.

MWNN just gave you a video of the Indigenous All Stars performing a war dance. After you said there was no evidence of it.

Great, point disproven. No-one's accusing you of being racist in that video.

Why are you so defensive?

Actually that was a quote from someone else if you have a look. I'd heard it was from some Indigenous U16s team.

I don't think I'm being defensive. Common sense will tell you not everyone at an AFL ground has seen the dance before, so its going to shock some people. Crazy, eh?

Honest question, those who are so strongly against booing adam goodes, would you ever boo anyone now? Say ballantyne or hodge in a grand final? If you would arent you being hypocritical? If that isnt hypocritical why not? I can tell you my motivation for booing goodes has nothing to do with race , so why shouldnt i boo him if you are going to boo someone else??

- after all the respect we have shown the indigenous community in recent years ...
Please elaborate ...

And do you think Australian's should be aware that we have pursued a policy of racism for the majority of our time in this land?

Surely truth is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back