Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Goodesy retires from this I don't know how much longer I can watch this game.

From the COLA, to the trade ban, to the Vic clubs trying to bring us down, to the drugs (not us obviously) and now this stuff it's just not fun following this game anymore.

I just want to come and say that I've been booing Goodes since 2013 but I will not be booing him anymore. I am sad that Goodes is taking this personally. The antagonism is purely within the sports arena, I actually agree with all the things Goodes does off-field and would give him a giant pat on the back if I run into him in a supermarket.
I think Adam and all of the aboriginal community would have taken things personally from the moment you started booing in 2013.

Even then it was not hard to understand where this was going.

Two things
1. Racism in any form is a disgrace in what is supposed to be an open, decent society. The booing of Goodesy started after he called out a racist sledge. The booing is simply affirmation of what the girl said. Ignorant, anonymous, redneck bogans - encouraged by that idiot Maguire making a cheap joke out of it one day after pretending to be the bighearted CEO.
2. Those people booing and the apologists in the media - not surprisingly the lowlife gutter press of News Limited and upstanding citizens like Wayne Carey and Dermie - are cowards, pure and simple. They know the booing is based on racism - but don't have the balls to admit it. Miranda Devine's article is the most gutless piece of trash I've read - again, typical News Limited.

The Telegraph will print whatever sells papers. The sadder thing is that the majority of the comments section applaud her. :mad::thumbsdown:
The best thing to do when it comes to the Telegraph is avoid it all together. It's the equivalent of a brain-dead flog from bay 13. You know it's going to be filled with bile, and it always is. An utter piece of rubbish.

No no no no no no.

Oh my god. Really?

Do you understand what you are saying? Are you the arbiter of "feelings". Who are you to judge what is discriminatory and what is not?

There are accepted social norms and goddam common courtesy.

Will you let me judge what you can and cannot say? I sure as hell would not want you to judge me.

People take this s**t so far off the reservation with good intentions at heart, always those, and then wonder what the hell happened a short while later when it bites then on the arse.

This is horrifying. People are willing to toss aside one if the very few true human rights that actually matter and is universal, undisputed and not artificially created in a feel good think tank of SJWs because it feels right or will grab a few votes off a special interest group.

Protip - there is no right that says you can't be offended. And that is where you are heading.

Think of this. A lot of posters have hurled insults at people for being racist without any idea at all of their private mind. These same people are screaming we need to be celebrating our differences and be tolerant.

You get it? See?
I don't see this as an issue of rights. It's an issue of character.

Do we as Australians have the character to show Respect to the original owners? Do we as Australians have the character to see the truth of our own history?

The aboriginal community have made a stand around Respect and Adam Goodes is standing right in the firing line of the public backlash. There is nothing that can stop this now, as it is a conversation that the country has to have.

I agree that putting a large section of the crowd under a blanket statement isn't the wisest thing to do. But I'd be curious to know what would've been the correct thing to say, I mean, he was put in a pretty difficult position. If he says 'some but not all boos are racist' it sort of just gives an easy out for those who do abuse Adam racially. Overall, the entire situation is rather difficult and unfortunate.
I think Pridham got it right.

From day 1 it has been clear that the booing had a nasty underbelly - and that needs to be exposed.

Adam and the club need firm leadership and Pridham has given that. We are a club that will stand up and be counted.

Personally, I would like to see other clubs join forces with Sydney the way the Adelaide teams joined together. That would be amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanted to pop in and offer support. Loved the way Adam goes about his football for years after watching him when living in Canberra so many times. Love the way he's gone about bringing attention to aboriginal issues. Society finds it hard when a mirror is held up to it and people seem to just have closed ears at the moment. It's simply impossible to have a rational discussion about this with most people.

If he does retire it will be a shame but I have no doubt it will become a watershed moment in Australian history that will be taught about in schools in decades to come.... hopefully in the right way.

GO ADAM.

I just wanted to pop in and offer support. Loved the way Adam goes about his football for years after watching him when living in Canberra so many times. Love the way he's gone about bringing attention to aboriginal issues. Society finds it hard when a mirror is held up to it and people seem to just have closed ears at the moment. It's simply impossible to have a rational discussion about this with most people.

If he does retire it will be a shame but I have no doubt it will become a watershed moment in Australian history that will be taught about in schools in decades to come.... hopefully in the right way.

GO ADAM.

Nicely put.

it couldnt get any worst and wasnt going away.

It would have gone away IMO. I think it was on the wane in recent weeks but the West Coast crowd are always vocal and hadn't yet had their "turn" at being *******s. I admire Jetta for standing up for his mate, but I don't think it has helped the situation.

It would have gone away IMO. I think it was on the wane in recent weeks but the West Coast crowd are always vocal and hadn't yet had their "turn" at being *******s. I admire Jetta for standing up for his mate, but I don't think it has helped the situation.

The situation?
The "situation" is a large section of ignorant, lowlife turds who either feel scorn for aboriginal people who speak out - or are pathetic followers of such dickheads.

I hope this "situation" escalates until this gutless, anonymous crap is fully exposed - along with the gutless apologists who excuse it for bullshit reasons like "free speech".

We can then look at the apologist media (like Andrew Bolt) who hide behind free speech as a means to sprout bigoted crap.

The situation?
The "situation" is a large section of ignorant, lowlife turds who either feel scorn for aboriginal people who speak out - or are pathetic followers of such dickheads.

I hope this "situation" escalates until this gutless, anonymous crap is fully exposed - along with the gutless apologists who excuse it for bullshit reasons like "free speech".

We can then look at the apologist media (like Andrew Bolt) who hide behind free speech as a means to sprout bigoted crap.

Not trying to downplay it. I just don't see that there's any changing people like this. We can call them out and confront them with their own bullshit but they're far too dumb and ignorant to change their views. You read the comments sections on media stories and facebook and the bigfooty threads and you still see people who fail to grasp why it's not okay to call an aboriginal man an ape ffs. All you can do is move on with your own life and be thankful that you have the awareness and intelligence they lack.

I am flipping out over this Bolt article!!!!

I dont usually read the Herald Sun, so im not sure who it is catered to, but this article treads a very close line to justifying racism.

Can someone please tell me who this is catered to and how this bloke has a job in journalism?

Please explain. what exactly do you disagree with and why. Such a dismissive statment from you without reason.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

I imagine it's probably because you singled out Victorian supporters, of which our club has plenty.

Adam Goodes has always been one of my favourite AFL players.

As a person I have so much respect for him, the passion he has for his people and culture, the loyalty he has for his team mates and team.

For me he is a person that should be revered and respected for his deeds.

I am so disgusted with what is happening right now and saddened that such a wonderful ambassador for Australians, Aboriginals and the AFL is being derided and diminished by a group of ignorant cowards in such a persistent and cruel way.

Adam is such a kind soul and gives so much of himself to others and to good causes. He is genuinely one of the good guys and deserves so much better.

I know my team has little support but I like to think we will not boo this legend. I hope everyone gets around him and makes him realise this vitriol is from a fringe group of people who cannot be helped.

Wish you guys well and hope this awful chapter in this country's history is soon over.

You read the comments sections on media stories and facebook and the bigfooty threads and you still see people who fail to grasp why it's not okay to call an aboriginal man an ape ffs.
This. So much of this. Why can't people see that calling an Indigenous person an ape is highly offensive?

The unfortunate situation Goodes is in, is more reflective of Australian society as a whole, not just directed at one person.

The situation wasn't going away before the WCE game. Even at our home games, you could hear significant portions of the away crowd booing every time Goodes approached the ball. It was not going to abate in Victoria or anywhere else for the rest of the year (particularly come finals time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back