Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me spit you some truth

Australians as a whole are very racist, white Australians have a very poor view in general of Aboriginal people. This was evident long before Adam Goodes ever pointed out that girl. If I had a dollar for every Aboriginal joke or insult, dole bludging, alcoholic or half cast reference I heard growing up I wouldn't be at work typing this.

Adam Goodes is also a bit of a douchebag who doesn't represent himself very well as a human being in general.

Adam Goodes was also a very poor Australian of the year choice, but he didn't ask to be Australian of the year either, this is no fault of his.

The rage for Adam Goodes started when he was appointed Australian of the year, because most people assumed he got that award for pointing out the girl in the crowd (I'm sure we all remember the memes). The tide of public opinion then began to shift, and Adam Goodes began to be hated for what he did on the field that day. Is it racist? I'm not sure, somebody smarter than me could point out exactly where that stands on the racism spectrum.

People who say they boo Goodes because he dives for frees are complete ******* idiots. You don't.

People who say they're not racist because they don't boo every aboriginal player are also complete ******* idiots. Plenty of slave owners had black friends.

Either way, aren't we all just ******* tired of it. Surely we can find a new villain anyway

Carey got boo'd less for ******* that players wife.

How much change in the behaviour can you expect when you have people like Miranda Devine, Rita Panahi pandering articles to their racist audience.

Miranda Devine articles especially have been utterly sickening not sure how she has a job in writing.

Guilt by association eh? You're a peach.

Not sure who those people write for, but the likes of Valenti, Zimmerman, etc get a platform in the Guardian because it seems that having a controversial opinion on a hot topic - even if its ridiculous - seems to get a lot of clicks, if only to witness how *ed the article is. That's how I know that wrapping Christmas presents is misogynist.

Your own Swans boss said it - booing Adam Goodes is racist. The media is driving that message on. Quit being disingenuous. It's so old.

You act as though the feeling of abuse at booing would end at Adam Goodes. What makes you think that if you think there are racists in large sections of the crowd? If racism is rampant as many claim in this country, it will just move to a different indigenous player for a "made up reason" until booing them is considered racist too.
Please read through my other posts in this thread. At no stage have I said the booing is coming from a pack of racists in the crowd. I've said that the booing is perceived as being racially motivated.

What other people say is their own opinion.

We already know that West Coast fans can be pathetic. But it's not just a once off with WC, it's happening every week.

RymHrcW.gif

Every aboriginal person would prefer that 1788 never happened.

Don't rub their face in it.
Every aboriginal person who genuinely believes they would be better off without European settlement has the option to abandon all and any benefits that settlement now provides them.
To stand up and denounce the advantages European settlement has brought whilst enjoying 1/2 million dollar salaries, sipping expensive coffee, living in a beautiful home, having his kids educated and raised in this society with all the health benefits and opportunities provided is the epitome of hypocrisy.
I would have some respect if he abandoned all his European provided possessions, took himself and his children back to bush, relinquished any opportunities European settlement gives him and his children, including his AOTY and his Brownlow's from a game invented by "the Europeans".
The reason Australians have responded so strongly to this hypocrite is the very protective, mateship qualities Aussies have regarding their country. Put simply. If you don't like us, give up the benefits, lifestyle and opportunities our way provides and f**k off.

Last edited:
My opinion is that the AFL is supposed to be or used to be a sport which allows the punters for a short space of time to forget their day to day stresses in life without being fed propaganda or being made aware of important issues outside of football.

I am aware of cancer , racism ,drugs, depression etc , i get reminded of this everyday via the media.
I personally don’t need to be reminded again when i go to the footy, the footy to me is to get away from this for a short space of time.
Sure , have the ANZAC day game and promote it as such purely on the basis that the game is held on ANZAC day but everything else needs to go.

Football players and clubs are there to provide me entertainment and they get paid accordingly for there efforts. Thats all i want , its not a tool to make me aware of issues that we have in society , there is other outlets that can and are being used to promote this.
Players should focus on what they get paid for and that is to play footy, they get well paid to do so , thats what i want and i imagine other footy followers as well.

So on the topic of Adam Goodes , again this is my opinion only… it is twice in a short space of time that he has created a media frenzy on a situation that he has labelled as racism on the footy field , both instances are inconclusive if it is racist, but Adam Goodes has been opportunistic to label it as racism for the purpose to create awareness.

I am all for Adam to promote his extra curricular activities but don’t use footy as a vehicle to do so .

Every aboriginal person who genuinely believes they would be better off without European settlement has the option to abandon all and any benefits that settlement now provides them.
To stand up and denounce the advantages European settlement has brought whilst enjoying 1/2 million dollar salaries, sipping expensive coffee, living in a beautiful home, having his kids educated and raised in this society with all the health benefits and opportunities provided is the epitome of hypocrisy.
I would have some respect if he abandoned all his European provided possessions, took himself and his children back to bush, relinquished any opportunities European settlement gives him and his children, including his AOTY and his Brownlow's from a game invented by "the Europeans".
The reason Australians have responded so strongly to this hypocrite is the very protective, mateship qualities Aussies have regarding their country. Put simply. If you don't like us, give up the benefits and lifestyle our way provides and f**k off.

Australia has come a long way. We left this guy behind though.

Go back to 1950 dickhead.

It has nothing to do with 2 views. Racism exists in every country and culture around the world. That is no different in australia but to say a person is an awful human being because he doesn't think he should be ashamed of being a descendant of those who came before him is not on. By your thinking anyone whose fore fathers committed a crime must forever be named and shamed as the same. Never should we forget the wrongs of our past but in that we can never move forward if we keep throwing those mistakes into the faces of the new generations and of those generations to come.
I think he's an awful person for hating Adam Goodes simply for standing up against racism. Not for being proud of his country. Get it?

To me, I don't think what you answer in the poll makes any difference. If you continue to boo Adam Goodes, you are a flog, what ever the reason.

Their have been lot of worse people involved in our great game that did not receive the same crap as this bloke. And I don't even like the fella. Grow up and move on, you are an embarrassment to our great game!

I can't agree at all.

There have been many incidents involving Adam which, in the context of booing at AFL games, have rightfully led to booing.

Some people did not like Judd because he received a Brownlow some say undeservedly and he was booed when he got the ball by opposition supporters.

Some people do not like Ballantyne's "diving" and he gets booed.

If you think that someone is a flog for booing regardless of the reason then fair enough.

It is racist to condone booing of Judd/Ballantyne but call someone a flog if they boo Goodes for the same reasons because of his race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please read through my other posts in this thread. At no stage have I said the booing is coming from a pack of racists in the crowd. I've said that the booing is perceived as being racially motivated.

What other people say is their own opinion.

You were responding to a narrative others hold and your particular bent was being disingenuous to that narrative which I'm arguing. People in this thread, in the swans camp trying to distance themselves from the Pridham statement is logical. His comments are batshit insane to suggest all booing of Adam is racism.

As to taking you outta context re: racism. Sure, I apologise. I'd add no one can track and remember exactly what anyone has said in this thread its too big.

mtwmyg.png

"Micky, Oh get off me / Micky O I said No"

Micky O has came out in defense of Goodes appealing to the common decency, the same bloke that paid an alleged rape victim $200k for her silence. He prefers his victims to sit in the corner and count their hush money.

Clearly O'Loughlan's not one to give any advice on social etiquette .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's put the whole thing into a legal construct.

The playing field is in effect a workplace, for players, coaches, umpires and other officials.

Umpires are booed seemingly without impeachment..and because that booing is then often repeated at lower and junior levels, it presents a problem in the retention of umpires..let alone their development.

We have seen the performance of the uneducated towards the likes of Milne, Watson and whoever else despite being cleared of any wrongdoing. It doesn't help.

Goodes and co may end up being driven away because of the constant abuse. That would be a sad end to the careers of players.

Because of the abuse coming from the other side of the fence, it is in effect, workplace bullying.

I take my hat of to Lewis. He is not afraid to speak out & also kudos to Matty Lloyd who has changed his stance on the matter after realising that it was clearly affecting people!

Dermie also is not afraid to speak out. It seems to me like you applaud people that speak out that share a similar view to you, but condemn those that don't.
That's not freedom of speech, that's merely tribalism. And this is what this really started over, not racism.
I agree it's time to stop, but I believe that Goodes, the AFL, the Swans and the media have significantly contributed to this being an issue still.
There are plenty of victims in this, not just Goodes. But there is also plenty of people at fault, including Goodes.

The reason Australians have responded so strongly to this hypocrite is the very protective, mateship qualities Aussies have regarding their country. Put simply. If you don't like us, give up the benefits and lifestyle our way provides and f**k off.
You do know that conditions in Australia didn't allow for anything other than a hunter gather lifestyle right?

It's quite simple really my friend!

When someone cries out that it is hurting them & they would like it to stop, then that is about the right time to stop.

This was done about 8 weeks ago. Goodes said back then that it was affecting many of his friends & loved ones.

Some individuals, including Jordan Lewis:thumbsu: came out & said they clearly didn't like his treatment.

Others, Dermie:thumbsdown: have continued their own personal agendas in their dislike of Adam for what ever reason, & used that agenda to cross the line on why they think he shouldn't be upset by it, or that he should toughen up.

These people would NEVER speak like that to Adam's face.

Why doesn't Dermie perhaps speak to Adam about it.

Speaking of weak. Why can't Derm just cop it sweet from Rebecca Wilson when she has called him out for his stance on the matter?

If Adam Goodes is upset that it is affecting too many of the people he cares about, let alone himself, then his standing in the game alone should be enough to deserve the respect & that it's time to stop.

Now Dermie may have had very good reason as to why he really dislikes Adam, be it the slide against Gibson or the goal that snuffed out the Hawks in the 2012 GF on one leg, but even after seeing that he & Jetta were visibly shaken by it after the the West Coast game, the best thing he should have done would have been to zip it.
NO!
The self righteous one chose to push his agenda against Goodes/ The Swans, even further.

I take my hat of to Lewis. He is not afraid to speak out & also kudos to Matty Lloyd who has changed his stance on the matter after realising that it was clearly affecting people!

It's professional sport, people get into each other's heads to gain a competitive advantage all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back