Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no wait. we shouldn't criticize. we wouldn't want to hurt her feelings and make her quit right?
Or, from your side of the fence, she should just "toughen up"?

Booing is bad - definitely

Booing needs to stop - definitely

Some booing is racist - definitely

All booing is racist - definitely not

Accusing all booers of being racist - ridiculous and moronic

This has been handled terribly.

Well now I agree with you ...so maybe I'm not right afterall

As a Swans fan, it will be a very sad day if he retires. From a pure footballing sense, hate him all you like but he is a legend of the game. Dual premiership player, brownlow medallist, multiple AAs, etc. Off the field, I have met Adam and he is beyond polite and easy-going. He is someone who I personally respect for his ability to bring light to controversial issues, and it is a shame that his exit may potentially be forced because of this. I don’t ever want to see someone forced out of doing something they love because of the actions of others – and I hope that doesn’t happen.
Most of this is absolutely correct ..he is an outstanding footballer and has been an ornament to the Game ....But the last bit, sorry but he has to own a part of the reason. the Bullying of a 13 yr old girl was not a good look ..no matter how slighted he felt at the time .

It's quite simple really my friend!

When someone cries out that it is hurting them & they would like it to stop, then that is about the right time to stop.

This was done about 8 weeks ago. Goodes said back then that it was affecting many of his friends & loved ones.

Some individuals, including Jordan Lewis:thumbsu: came out & said they clearly didn't like his treatment.

Others, Dermie:thumbsdown: have continued their own personal agendas in their dislike of Adam for what ever reason, & used that agenda to cross the line on why they think he shouldn't be upset by it, or that he should toughen up.

These people would NEVER speak like that to Adam's face.

Why doesn't Dermie perhaps speak to Adam about it.

Speaking of weak. Why can't Derm just cop it sweet from Rebecca Wilson when she has called him out for his stance on the matter?

If Adam Goodes is upset that it is affecting too many of the people he cares about, let alone himself, then his standing in the game alone should be enough to deserve the respect & that it's time to stop.

Now Dermie may have had very good reason as to why he really dislikes Adam, be it the slide against Gibson or the goal that snuffed out the Hawks in the 2012 GF on one leg, but even after seeing that he & Jetta were visibly shaken by it after the the West Coast game, the best thing he should have done would have been to zip it.
NO!!

Did you actually listen to what Dermie said. Go back and read/listen. I think many people totally mis interpreted what he said.

"People will boo, they will cheer, they will hiss, sometimes they will swear — it’s the behaviour of the player that can stimulate those responses,’’

story-fni5f22o-1227458981632

“Adam Goodes would do well to look at what he’s done bad or good or indifferent and work out what he can do to change that.’’

He is not having a go at Goodes in anyway, he is just saying that Goodes can control the response he gets.

Last edited:
Australia has come a long way. We left this guy behind though.

Go back to 1950 dickhead.

Do you know how hard it is to find uranium or predict where lightning is going to strike?

People who say they boo Goodes because he dives for frees are complete ******* idiots. You don't.

I boo him because he pleads for non existent free kicks and looks like a spoilt child when he doesn't get his way.

I boo him because of his sniper ways, cheap shotting players when he sees fit

I boo him because he represents everything wrong with the AFL - protected species, afraid of suspending him when he does get caught doing the wrong thing.

I will now boo him EXTRA hard and loud because of the media saying it's not on.

These people would NEVER speak like that to Adam's face.

I will gladly pick up the phone, call him and tell him exactly why I boo him. Hell I would have no hesitation in doing it face to face, eye to eye.

As a non boo'er, I'd be interested to know what the people that do boo get out of it, or what is their purpose? You obviously cheer to encourage you team so what is the boo'ing an intimidation factor? Is it to put off the individual player? Is it to voice their disapproval at the individual?

If their purpose is to put the player off their game would the people that boo be somewhat pleased that Goodes mightn't play again?

Or, from your side of the fence, she should just "toughen up"?

if she comes out and has a cry at everyone telling her she's a racist vindictive bitch then yes i will tell her to harden the * up. because people that make bold statements must have thick skin. if you can't handle criticism then the public eye is nowhere for you to be...

No ..Man up and don't bully 13 yr old kids

Yeah its amazing isnt it, there is a poll above that lists a whole lot of reasons why people
boo Goodes but hey, it can ONLY be racism, makes sense, just ignore the evidence.

Its much too complex a situation for good old Gil just to say some people think he is a flog or a bully or
up himself, good lord, just coerce and threaten people not to boo him, these people happen to be
the paying customer. What an amazung situation.

But, Kudo's to Sydney who have now altered the definition of racism to now include;

booing Adam Goodes.

Thats my personal fav :)

YOU WILL NOT BOO ADAMN GOODES

YOU WILL LIKE HIM.

fORWARD sOVIET.

To be honest, the first I starting seeing serious dislike / negative attention towards Adam Goodes was a few years ago when he won Australian of the year award and very close to it happening he was let off / dealt with favourably by the MRP?

Does anyone else remember this time?

Most of this is absolutely correct ..he is an outstanding footballer and has been an ornament to the Game ....But the last bit, sorry but he has to own a part of the reason. the Bullying of a 13 yr old girl was not a good look ..no matter how slighted he felt at the time .
Except he didn't bully a 13 year old girl. He pointed out someone who shouted racial abuse at him, during a game of football in indigenous round. No one should have to put up with that.

When it was revealed she was a 13 year old girl, Goodes himself said it wasn't her fault: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-blame-for-racial-taunt-20130525-2n3bx.html

Australia has come a long way. We left this guy behind though.

Go back to 1950 dickhead.
Oh I see, so now it's revert to personal abuse. Well two can play at that game dickhead.
He is the epitome of hypocrisy. Give up the lifestyle and opportunities he and his family have been provided.
You do know that conditions in Australia didn't allow for anything other than a hunter gather lifestyle right?
The conditions in Australia haven't changed mate. If Australia is only good for hunting and gathering then that's all that could be done. That's obviously not the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hate is borne from insecurity.

and the ridiculousness about all this is that it is hate for some one these folks have never met.

Hate is a strong word.

I don't think many have the time to hate Goodes.

Not worth it for many. I just think a lot don't like him and thats what happens when you bring politics to the footy when the public has paid money to escape everything except a footy contest and sporting performance.

To be honest, should the crowd have asked for a refund after game with the War dance since it was not on their product menu?

Except he didn't bully a 13 year old girl. He pointed out someone who shouted racial abuse at him, during a game of football in indigenous round. No one should have to put up with that.

When it was revealed she was a 13 year old girl, Goodes himself said it wasn't her fault: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-blame-for-racial-taunt-20130525-2n3bx.html

But are you not the perception guy, you know, perception is more powerfull than the truth?

There you go, perception is he is a bully.

Happy now :)

Well now I agree with you ...so maybe I'm not right afterall

Lots of nuances to the issue.

I just don't think calling all booers racists is the best way to get people to stop booing (which needs to happen IMO). I think the swans have ****ed up massively with this strategy.

And that's the problem with having someone like Aly shape the debate. He is seen as an all knowing intellect, yet he has taken a complex issue and simplified it to make a policial point. In this case, race relations hurt but hopefully we'll all go back to our lives soon enough.

But when you're talking about lumping culturally different disenfranchised Muslims together. thats when you have kids from Africa or the Balkans joining daesh. It becomes a completely different problem.

Agreed. A man that laments the impact of discrimination, yet practices so much of it in his journalism.

Still have great respect for the guy, and think he's a brilliant commentator on contemporary issues, but needs to be careful of allowing bias creep into his commentary.

I didn't mind him initially, ie fighting the fight against Multinational Corporations etc, but he now lets his own bias turn his commentaries into a political slinging match rather than address the issue.

He also does this a lot:

upload_2015-7-29_11-28-37.png

Hate is a strong word.

I don't think many have the time to hate Goodes.

Not worth it for many. I just think a lot don't like him and thats what happens when you bring politics to the footy when the public has paid money to escape everything except a footy contest and sporting performance.

To be honest, should the crowd have asked for a refund after game with the War dance since it was not on their product menu?

well said, hate, they are taking the mickey out of him, look at the list of reasons above!

I can't agree at all.

There have been many incidents involving Adam which, in the context of booing at AFL games, have rightfully led to booing.

Some people did not like Judd because he received a Brownlow some say undeservedly and he was booed when he got the ball by opposition supporters.

Some people do not like Ballantyne's "diving" and he gets booed.

If you think that someone is a flog for booing regardless of the reason then fair enough.

It is racist to condone booing of Judd/Ballantyne but call someone a flog if they boo Goodes for the same reasons because of his race.

From now on Goodes will be applauded for these sorts of actions........we have no right to hurt his feelings.

As a Swans fan, it will be a very sad day if he retires. From a pure footballing sense, hate him all you like but he is a legend of the game. Dual premiership player, brownlow medallist, multiple AAs, etc. Off the field, I have met Adam and he is beyond polite and easy-going. He is someone who I personally respect for his ability to bring light to controversial issues, and it is a shame that his exit may potentially be forced because of this. I don’t ever want to see someone forced out of doing something they love because of the actions of others – and I hope that doesn’t happen.
I don't buy legend of the game. If he is a legend of the game, is Cousins?

I boo him because he pleads for non existent free kicks and looks like a spoilt child when he doesn't get his way.

I boo him because of his sniper ways, cheap shotting players when he sees fit

I boo him because he represents everything wrong with the AFL - protected species, afraid of suspending him when he does get caught doing the wrong thing.

I will now boo him EXTRA hard and loud because of the media saying it's not on.

I will gladly pick up the phone, call him and tell him exactly why I boo him. Hell I would have no hesitation in doing it face to face, eye to eye.

You forgot I will boo him knowing that it will be interpreted as having racial undertones.

You might gladly accept it as the price but you should at least acknowledge the perception.

If someone booed Goodes cos they don't like him and others boo him for being a black fella ....no way of knowing the difference so I'd lump you all in (Yes I'm a flogist).

If you don't like the AFL imposing their authoritarian views ...why not boo them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back