Mike Sheahan West Coast 2006 flag tainted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rec drugs aren't performance enhancing. Those who have never done them are usually the ones to not grasp this.
This! If you have taken recreational drugs you would understand they are far more likely to decrease athlete performance than increase it. Most people don't have a very good understanding of recreational drugs which is fine but to mistake them for performance enhancing drugs is just ignorant. I've said it before but the fact that eagles managed to win a flag with key players battling drug problems is actually a testament to how good they were that they won despite these issues. I know ice users and their performance in any given field is usually deplorable and their mental and physical state deteriorates with time.

The suggestion that Cousins could run harder on ice is ridiculous, it would have made him sketchy and his heart rate would have increased to the point of him collapsing on field due to extreme physical activity. Watch him on ice in his documentary, leaning against a bathroom wall and face twitching. A person in that state isn't coming out in the second half of a final and winning the game. He outran opponents because his personality was such that he constantly pushed his body to the limits- both on field and off. His greatest strength on the field was his greatest weakness off it.

I usually don't mind Mike but unless he has confirmed information about performance enhancing drugs being used, he is way off the mark.

Lets get out there and win a footy game!

3395d1182519108-advice-gurn.jpg

I watched him the entire season (because he was a very watchable player), and his running power was immensely greater than during the season. But anyway.

Yeh how could one of the games greatest runners possibly make a second year player in Van Berlo look like a .... hmmm second year player? Adelaide lost that prelim because wce worked harder. To say they worked harder because of recreational drugs that they were high on during the game is absurd, cant you see that? To say that Adelaide lost because one player of the opposing team went and smoked crystal meth during half time is even more laughable.

Mike Sheahan is a tainted, snivelly little turd of a man. I would crush him between my cleavage.
Except you're male! People, don't be deceived by Birdbrain's avatar!!

Seriously, Mike has to explain himself. He is not the first person to raise this topic.

Which recreational drugs do you believe are performance enhancing and have you done those?

Speed, without drinking whilst you're on it. I know that's a broad coverall for a drug that could be a mixture of anything but you could say the same about any unregulated recreational drugs. I'm at pains to make the point that the performance enhancement would not be for everyone, you've only got to go to a music festival to see that individuals respond to substances in individual ways.

*I'm not saying West Coast or any other team for that matter actually did it, but I think it's plausible. I don't subscribe to the theory that recreational drugs cannot be performance enhancing.

Ummmm didn't he recently interview Dale Lewis about this exact thing a few weeks ago, about how it was right across the league but all head honchos just wanted to bury there heads in the sand.
What a damn hypocrite.

Who cares three cups in our cupboard and Mike is just sitting at home playing with his flaccid, irrelevant dick.

He's a joke and anyone with an ounce of footy IQ would recognize that.

Piss off to the retirement village Mike, you are a clueless has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Most tainted flag I can remember. The Captain who held up the cup was a meth-head. Someone prove to me meth is not a performance enhancing drug.
Judd was a meth head?
*Barry Hall cough*

When even Freo fans are putting the boot into Sheahan you know you are onto something.

Weird that Mike shot off like that and excluded Ben Counsins yet has James Albert Hird in there.

Who cares three cups in our cupboard and Mike is just sitting at home playing with his flaccid, irrelevant dick.

He's a joke and anyone with an ounce of footy IQ would recognize that.

Piss off to the retirement village Mike, you are a clueless has been.
I am sure he will sell stories in Vic

Like many people in Perth, I hung out with Cuz a bit in the wee hours of the morning. If you think the drugs he took made him a better footballer, you're nuts. I once saw him stay up from the Eagles Xmas dinner till the 28th of Dec, that was about 6 days. How do you think that would make you perform better? It ate away at his muscles. You think that helps with his game? I could barely recognise him the first time I met him he was so gaunt compared to normal. He certainly wasn't playing while high and the 30+ drug tests he took proved that. He was target tested for a while and nothing came up.

However, we're doing well, so it is time for another Sheehan bash. Maybe Walls can come out and call us the dark empire again and say the Swans winning over us would be a triumph of good over evil?

I note that Sheehan didn't once mention <injunction> in this article. They won premierships when their players had tested positive for recreational drugs. Our players didn't test positive, however we cop flack and <injunction> doesn't? It makes no sense.

If only there were a number of breaks during games where players could go down to the rooms.

Not to mention that stimulants can be used to train more effectively.

I still remember this game in Geelong. The difference before and after half time was... startling.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=2462
Bah, that was a total capitulation by Geelong. They were pathetic that day. Nothing to do with what was in our players and everything to do with what was in between the ears of yours.

The quoted post nails it.

This! If you have taken recreational drugs you would understand they are far more likely to decrease athlete performance than increase it. Most people don't have a very good understanding of recreational drugs which is fine but to mistake them for performance enhancing drugs is just ignorant. I've said it before but the fact that eagles managed to win a flag with key players battling drug problems is actually a testament to how good they were that they won despite these issues. I know ice users and their performance in any given field is usually deplorable and their mental and physical state deteriorates with time.

The suggestion that Cousins could run harder on ice is ridiculous, it would have made him sketchy and his heart rate would have increased to the point of him collapsing on field due to extreme physical activity. Watch him on ice in his documentary, leaning against a bathroom wall and face twitching. A person in that state isn't coming out in the second half of a final and winning the game. He outran opponents because his personality was such that he constantly pushed his body to the limits- both on field and off. His greatest strength on the field was his greatest weakness off it.

I usually don't mind Mike but unless he has confirmed information about performance enhancing drugs being used, he is way off the mark.

What a joke this is. I cant begin to tell you how many AFL players take and use recreational drugs. To think that West Coast were the only team doing that in 2006 is a laughable. To this day, players are doing it from premiership teams. Think of the snow that gets blown after premiership victories and during the off season trips to places like Vegas. If members of society that are not AFL players are taking drugs, then the small sample of young men within the AFL system with copious amounts disposable income are doing it in abundance. The difference between the rest of the AFL population and West Coast Eagles players is that the Eagles players got nicely hooked and let it become a little bit to frequent, hence the side effects of this drug taking reared its ugly head. Performance enhancing? What was Cousins taking? Ice? Cocaine? Speed? I think from a performance enhancing perspective these issues aren't really that relevant. Wasn't Ben Cousins always a good player? And West Coast only won their Grand Final by 1 point? Hmmmm, not sure if those recreational drugs had much impact.

What evidence do you have hat Meth is performance enhancing drug. Is it on the WADA or ASADA banned list? Does it make you handball and kick the ball better? Does it make you read the play better? The AFL have actually stated that the flag was clean. People need to move on. Yes Cousins is knob same with Kerr. However the Eagles haves since turned their culture and club around but get no credit for that, we now are a strong club with good values great leaders like Matthew Priddis and Josh Kennedy.
Don't worry - we're doing well now on and off the field, which is probably why the whole issue from the past is being dredged up again.

This is a good thing, West Coast supporters! They hate us and want to tar the current success we're having with the s**t-dipped brush from the past.

I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and THERE IS no way you could play at elite level under the influence of meth or other substances LIKE cociane
My clients can barely walk three steps ahead after meth bender or cocaine bender and he reckons a player could play a game ...oh Lordy he's got NFI.

I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and fully aware what Heath does to the human body and have been in this job 4 years.

My clients can barely string three words together ......I sit with meth users and help them get off the gear
No way in hell can they function let alone play a game of footy ....dead set this is the biggest load of baloney thread ever

Think you need to stop using your clients gear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back